FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

44 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Eliminating the one and done rule won't clean up college basketball by itself. Even if the top 10, or 20 or whatever number of players go directly to the NBA every year, there will still be the next best available player for colleges to compete over and some of these will be NBA level talents for shoe companies to fight over as well. 

It could if the "G" League is further developed and the NBA draft and rosters were expanded a bit. These kids could then make some money playing in the G League.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm hearing he is fired with 10 days to APPEAL that decision.

The terms of his contract require him to be fired by the BOT, with written reasons for his termination and 10 days to prepare and defend himself in an appeal.

They're just following the terms of his contract - he will be suspended until they can follow that procedure, at which point he'll be formally terminated.

But it is clear: he's effectively fired as of now.

17 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

THIS would be interesting. Shoutout to our boy Tom Crean!

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 12.53.43 PM.png

Knowing that Crean and Pitino have been good friends for literally decades, I seriously doubt that Crean would be comfortable serving as Pitino's interim.  Having said that, anything is possible .

Just now, milehiiu said:

Knowing that Crean and Pitino have been good friends for literally decades, I seriously doubt that Crean would be comfortable serving as Pitino's interim.  Having said that, anything is possible .

If I was Crean I'd ask for a boatload of money.  Louisville has no choice but to give it to him.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If I was Crean I'd ask for a boatload of money.  Louisville has no choice but to give it to him.

It would be a good scenario for Crean, if the team were to stay intact.  They have the chance to be really good and sanctions/post-season bans are probably a ways away until after the season.  It would be ironic if he went to a final four with them under this circumstance.

1 minute ago, BoomBaby said:

I can imagine Crean being anxious to get back into coaching, but it's hard for me to imagine him being willing to go into another train wreck like he did last time.  Remember that the NCAA sanctions are yet to come, and could be as much as the death penalty.

Would be a nice dress rehearsal, if it was only for the one year...

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder if Matta will be mentioned.  It always amazed me though how he was able to scores of 5 star recruits to a school where spring football practice is more important than a FF game.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was dirty too.

Off subject, but Matta is in Indy now; his daughter runs cross country at my high school.  I wonder whether he has some unofficial gig with his former associate Barry Collier and Butler.

6 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

I can imagine Crean being anxious to get back into coaching, but it's hard for me to imagine him being willing to go into another train wreck like he did last time.  Remember that the NCAA sanctions are yet to come, and could be as much as the death penalty.

As an interim job, would seem to be ideal. Have to figure Bruce Bowen would no longer be on the team. My guess is they might lose some other players as well?  TC could then look at what other openings become available and pick the best fit. 

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder if Matta will be mentioned.  It always amazed me though how he was able to scores of 5 star recruits to a school where spring football practice is more important than a FF game.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was dirty too.

I have seen Matta mentioned as an interim on the UL board.  In fact most would prefer him to Crean.   Something about Crean not teaching players to play D.  No... seriously !

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Baseball doesn't generate the revenue basketball and football does.  I think it would be even worst if they had to stay 3 years.  Imagine being able to build a powerhouse roster knowing you have nba talent for 3 years.  Think about how good Duke or UK would be if they all stayed 3 years.  Think about how much more these players would be worth then.

Exactly, the revenue generation potential of basketball players far exceeds that of  baseball players. Basketball players also tend to be more closely tied to shoe companies than baseball players as well. I'm not sure being required to stay 3 years would make it worse simply due to the increased time until a potential payoff for the shoe companies but it certainly won't eliminate it altogether. 

Archived