FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

4 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

These schools would have to do some major investigating before pulling the trigger on one of these kids.

There will be "good" kids that committed to a problem University and just want out knowing the coach is likely to be gone and / or the program facing sanctions.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

They can already make money playing overseas for a year now, few take that option and almost none without pressure to do so. In order for that to stop the cheating, the G league would have to increase tremendously in popularity and publicity. 

I am not saying this is the perfect solution, but I'm  talking about players getting in the NBA system (drafted) without being such a high risk to the teams that draft them. What's stopping kids from going overseas now if it was purely about the money? They want to make it to the NBA. Way more kids from the G League are called up than come from overseas. Overseas contracts are normally just about making the most money you can after your hopes of making an NBA roster have dwindled. The contract and roster limitations overseas make that decision a little bit trickier for younger kids. Not to mention the culture shock, being away from family, and the unknown when it comes to coaching and how the game is played. I think the G League has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years since NBA teams have started buying and managing franchises. The NBA would only benefit from a decent development/minor league system. And so would the NCAA. 

Thank you to the posters who several times got this topic back on track instead of allowing it to devolve in to some stupid political discussion. I don't care what channel you turn on for news. At all. Also, thank you to the posters who have brought forward credible info. This is a lot to sift through and it makes it easier when I see a handful of posters continuously posting factual info post after post. You know what's really funny in all of this? I can't remember one time in my damn life that I have bought a brand of shoe because of a professional player. This is about freaking shoe companies. Unbelievable. UNC is going to get away with academic fraud hands clean and UL is going down for a long time. I don't take any delight in seeing a fan base taken down with a coach. Happened to us and everyone piled on. Not a great spot to be in especially since as fans we don't make any decisions but get the brunt of something like this. 

They're no reason for Pearl or Miller to be fired based on anything we know now. From all the evidence it appears to be two rogue assistants and in the case of Auburn it doesn't even appear a player benefited. Looks like person you money to get an agent access to a player but never have the player or family money. 

34 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I am not saying this is the perfect solution, but I'm  talking about players getting in the NBA system (drafted) without being such a high risk to the teams that draft them. What's stopping kids from going overseas now if it was purely about the money? They want to make it to the NBA. Way more kids from the G League are called up than come from overseas. Overseas contracts are normally just about making the most money you can after your hopes of making an NBA roster have dwindled. The contract and roster limitations overseas make that decision a little bit trickier for younger kids. Not to mention the culture shock, being away from family, and the unknown when it comes to coaching and how the game is played. I think the G League has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years since NBA teams have started buying and managing franchises. The NBA would only benefit from a decent development/minor league system. And so would the NCAA. 

Just to clarify, I mostly agree with you and others that all the things mentioned will help clean up college basketball a bit, what I disagree with is the notion that these changes will make it completely clean. 

Checked out the last few pages of the scandal thread on the Scout Kansas board and for the most part they think they are clean and do not need to cheat. I did see somebody reference the recruitment of Cliff Alexander and Josh Selby as possibly problematic. For years I've seen Chicago kids going there and figured it could only be because of the $.

Was also a thread on Langford but nothing new there.

They did have this list which might answer a few questions.  Not sure how accurate it is...

Universities: 
1 - Auburn 
2 - South Carolina 
3 - Oklahoma State 
4 - Arizona 
5 - USC 
6 - Louisville 
7 - Miami (FL)

Players 
1 - Mustapha Heron, Auburn 
2 - likely Austin Wiley OR Danjel Purifoy, Auburn 
3 - P.J. Dozier, NBA via South Carolina