FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Indykev said:

He gave Wilson multi chances.

True.  Got Wilson out of the Indiana State Patrol pokey, and got them to wipe the record clean, with an assurance that he (Mr.Glass) would seek help for Wilson.  Which Mr. Glass did. And it seemed to be working, till Wilson went off on injured players. 

In retrospect, rather than trying to help Wilson out, Mr. Glass should have left Wilson in jail, and found a new coach right there and then.

But that's another story for a different thread.  Apologies for getting off track.  But it just upsets me, knowing what I know.

3 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Well I do thank the FBI investigation for making me check 247 in the offseason and thus leading me to you all over here.  It also figures I have a ton going on at work today and I'll I will want to do now is check out everything going on here.  :)

3 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Well I do thank the FBI investigation for making me check 247 in the offseason and thus leading me to you all over here.  It also figures I have a ton going on at work today and I'll I will want to do now is check out everything going on here.  :)

Hey!! Welcome!

54 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Good points. 

This may sound naive, but could a shoe company have legally paid players and agents?  Ignoring any NCAA rules, if they gave money as part of doing business and reported it properly, do they have any legal responsibilities to inform the NCAA or schools?  I guess the FBI is involved because of money laundering and wire fraud (as well as investment shenanigans) and not necessarily for simply cheating on the recruiting trail.  I ask because I am not a business person and honestly don't know all the in's and out's.

From what I understand, the legal theory behind the fraud charges being brought by the feds is that the agents, coaches, and shoe companies defrauded the universities out of scholarship money (at least partly funded by the federal government) that the universities were giving to the already-paid players.  Had the universities known that the players were being paid, they would have known that the players were ineligible, and thus would never have given them scholarships.  So regardless of NCAA rules, the defendants were still committing fraud on the universities by covering up the payments they were making to players.

32 minutes ago, Indykev said:

AAu needs to go away. It will if shoe companies are banned because they pay every travel team to wear their shoes and clothing.

Shoe money carries a lot of schools budgets.

Just let kids go straight to the NBA.

The parents pay the bulk of travel and uni cost for AAU. While there's no way shoe companies are banned, it won't go away regardless in relation to a shoe company decision.

I just think the shoe deal should go through the NCAA and not the individual school. This way the get one company to supply all the teams and then you wouldn't have bidding wars for each school.  You would also do away with NIK teams or Addidas teams because this is where the problem comes form.  Also have to find away for the NCAA to sanction summer basketball where the shoe companies are not involved.  Some say there is no way of doing this but if they really want to clean this up then they have to do extreme measures.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

From what I understand, the legal theory behind the fraud charges being brought by the feds is that the agents, coaches, and shoe companies defrauded the universities out of scholarship money (at least partly funded by the federal government) that the universities were giving to the already-paid players.  Had the universities known that the players were being paid, they would have known that the players were ineligible, and thus would never have given them scholarships.  So regardless of NCAA rules, the defendants were still committing fraud on the universities by covering up the payments they were making to players.

Very good.  Thanks for the explanation.

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Correct.

From the complaint, editing out a lot of the unnecessary language for this purpose: Defendants participated in a scheme to defraud the universities by making payments to recruits in exchange for their commitments, causing the universities to give athletic scholarships to student-athletes who were not eligible to compete because of the payments. 

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I heard on ESPN radio that the L'ville ADs daughter works for ........  Guess who? ADIDAS! She's in working as college name branding or something like that!

Hmmm....

Adidas hired her, then a couple months later Louisville agreed to sign a $160m deal with Adidas.

Of course, Jurich's son also has a $750k salary as an "assistant AD" of some sort at Louisville.

49 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Welcome to our new digs.  It's a pleasure to have you in the house, once again.

46 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Great summary.  All I wish to add, in terms of Federal Law, is that any monies crossing state lines becomes wire fraud.

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

107 guests on this forum. I'm sure there are a few outsiders simply curious about what's being heard, but for you bashful IU fans, what's keeping you from signing up to arguably the best, and certainly fastest growing, IU fan forum?

"...long time lurker...first time caller..."

I guess it is time to sign up.  I have been around for all of the Hoosier Nation sites so why not this one.  Mile, Crester, and others mods great job as usual.  Keep it up!

Archived