FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There were actually a number of recruits that IU/Crean somewhat suddenly backed off of, or ended the recruitment, and a number of times Crean/staff alluded to things in the recruitment. I know there are many who were very unhappy with Crean as IU's coach, but there's just no reason to doubt he was doing everything to run a clean program, and that's frankly why we missed out on or didn't further pursue a number of high level prospects.

I think its happened a couple of times already with Archie as well...Moses Brown and Dort come to mind, Brown saying he wanted to visit IU, next thing you know we arent even mentioned.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Of course, just a hypothetical. Not expecting an answer. Some times this board just makes me want to talk about the feeeelings going on in my head. :)

I guess I would say, everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt until there's a whiff of impropriety. So I would think Archie would always play by the rules.

I know it's my favorite topic to rail on the NCAA but how inept do they look?   With the resources that member institutions can provide, the NCAA would be able to hire the best and the brightest.  Heck, you could hire someone with impeccable credentials with a background in investigations such as ex-FBI.  I have worked on litigations where we have hired ex-FBI experts.  These guys know how to find anything, especially digitally.  The next thing is the member institutions give them teeth.  If you are a school or player and agree to play in the NCAA, then have in writing that the NCAA can have access to information reasonably related to your relationship with your eligibility, including written records, bank statements, etc.  My kids are too young for college but I assume the schools get the parents' financial records when they evaluate student aid?  Same concept, you swear under penalty of perjury that everything you provide is complete.  That would bring fraud into it.  And, like Tom Brady, any failure to turn over anything or destroy anything, becomes an immediate inference against you.  Beyond that, there are mechanisms that the NCAA could employ.  Fake "handlers," undercover guys lurking around AAU camps, sting operations.

The reality is that the NCAA shortsightedly doesn't want any of this.  Except the environment that they have allowed is a cesspool full of corruption, bribes, fraud and what have you.

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Due to the timing and period being investigated I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be safe. 

I also think this investigation will greatly deter coaches who make it through unscathed to be more careful. 

However, I have a hypothetical: assuming the investigation never came to fruition (in an alternate future), how close do you think Archie would get to that ethical line as our coach? Are you confident in saying he wouldn't touch it? I only bring this up because he has always stated that Sean has been a mentor to him. He even served as an assistant and recruited for Sean. He's stated Calipari has been a mentor. He hired Schilling and Flint who both worked under Calipari. I recognize that it's not fair to assume guilt by association, but as this investigation unfolds, these unethical recruiting practices appear to be the norm for big time programs. Everybody seems to have a dirty connection!

I want to and will give Archie the benefit of the doubt, but I can't lie: these connections leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I really hope Archie was prepared to and expected to walk the straight and narrow. 

Other than a few ties to folks with question marks, I see nothing to suggest that Archie is taking shortcuts.  Frankly, he's really not had time to go down that road just yet.  Had the environment continued unchecked and his newness wore off with recruits would he have been tempted?  Possibly.  I'd like to think not but I can't say I know him well enough to pass that kind of judgment.  Crean, I absolutely think was clean.  It's certainly possible that an assistant did something that Crean was unaware of/would not approve of but I think the tone he set at the top was pretty apparent by the numerous examples of kids he ultimately backed away from or seemed to lose traction with at the last minute, Lyles and Lyle being the most obvious examples I can think of at the moment.

As it stands, I can't think of any recruiting examples at IU that are any more suspect than Swanigan's "Nike schools only" recruitment, so I don't get the suspicion that IU is in trouble if Purdue is lilly-white.  I just don't see much at this stage that would indicate any trouble for either school. Archie is certainly going about the business of recruiting and public appearances like he's not at all concerned about the possibility, that much is apparent.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you listen to his show it sounds like he hopes IU gets hit with something.  He just seems like a bitter and angry old man who is still upset with IU for not giving him the job.

If that's true, then f*ck him. Why would he want his alma mater to go down AGAIN? That's ridiculous. So he wants Crean to be dirty? The only guys I would suspect on IU would be the one and "dones." And that's Vonleh. Bitterness is one thing, being a total dick to the school that allowed you to be what you are today is another. You think if he went to ANY other school he'd be in the position he's in? If he's got proof, go to the feds and spill it. Otherwise, he's spewing nonsense to get listeners and callers (per usual). 

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know it's my favorite topic to rail on the NCAA but how inept do they look?   With the resources that member institutions can provide, the NCAA would be able to hire the best and the brightest.  Heck, you could hire someone with impeccable credentials with a background in investigations such as ex-FBI.  I have worked on litigations where we have hired ex-FBI experts.  These guys know how to find anything, especially digitally.  The next thing is the member institutions give them teeth.  If you are a school or player and agree to play in the NCAA, then have in writing that the NCAA can have access to information reasonably related to your relationship with your eligibility, including written records, bank statements, etc.  My kids are too young for college but I assume the schools get the parents' financial records when they evaluate student aid?  Same concept, you swear under penalty of perjury that everything you provide is complete.  That would bring fraud into it.  And, like Tom Brady, any failure to turn over anything or destroy anything, becomes an immediate inference against you.  Beyond that, there are mechanisms that the NCAA could employ.  Fake "handlers," undercover guys lurking around AAU camps, sting operations.

The reality is that the NCAA shortsightedly doesn't want any of this.  Except the environment that they have allowed is a cesspool full of corruption, bribes, fraud and what have you.

I agree that the NCAA could put an end to it if they were truly serious. I'd think they would need to outsource it to get away from the politics/ inability to make a decision that currently is at play. Just as with the coaches in an individual program, the culture for college basketball is set at the top. Here the NCAA's blind eye was a tacit acknowledgement that illicit / unethical behavior is ok- until you get exposed publicly.

To answer your question- very inept.

There is big news coming according to some on twitter, they are saying bigger than the Louisville news. Have no idea who or what but I would think it meant U.K., Duke, UNC, or Kansas.  Time will tell.  I'm actually enjoying this, maybe we get to turn back the clock a bit on college basketball.

edit- not just average joes reporting this either...

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

There is big news coming according to some on twitter, they are saying bigger than the Louisville news. Have no idea who or what but I would think it meant U.K., Duke, UNC, or Kansas.  Time will tell.  I'm actually enjoying this, maybe we get to turn back the clock a bit on college basketball.

Love to see it be UK or Duke since they are the ones who gets most of these kids.  Also if it is KU then we all but assured of getting Romeo.

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Can you provide a little more info? Sometimes at work I don't have the time to scour the Twittersphere. 

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

Can you provide a little more info? Sometimes at work I don't have the time to scour the Twittersphere. 

I don't personally have any, just several sports writers I follow are saying a bombshell bigger than Louisville will explode sometime soon.  Are the telling the truth?  Not sure, but I find it interesting.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Please posted some tweets, not seeing anything about this.

Archived