FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing that HSN.03 is your only board, makes me want to dance, like Laurel and Hardy. LOL

Laurel and Hardy dance to Billy Jean - YouTube

Ha! That is funny. I've never seen that video before...great find Mile.

This was my  Laurel and Hardy inspiration:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&p=laurel+and+hardy+blazing+saddles#id=1&vid=a678c274b6b33fd885a613c2e6165621&action=click

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes. He's definitely knowledgeable, but man has he become full of himself.

It's also clear that Bilas has thrown any integrity he may have had out the window.  His only job now is to try and protect ESPN's investment in college basketball by shilling for every scumbag coach that gets caught breaking NCAA rules (and now federal laws).

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It's also clear that Bilas has thrown any integrity he may have had out the window.  His only job now is to try and protect ESPN's investment in college basketball by shilling for every scumbag coach that gets caught breaking NCAA rules (and now federal laws).

I can't listen to him outside of pure basketball analysis. When he starts throwing his opinion around it's usually on this topic about how hard/unfair it is for the players and how awful the NCAA is and that the coaches are put between a rock and a hard place...It's all whiny BS....this is the league, you know the rules, if you don't like it then go elsewhere. I have no patience for people who bitch about the circumstances they volunteered for. The NCAA is a garbage organization for many reasons....not paying players isn't one of them. 

1 hour ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But it has been reported that Pitino is coach 2. I have also heard that coach 1 is Jordan Fair. Could this mean Kenny Johnson isn't implicated in any of this? I I know he is a lot of IU fans concern. But maybe he is clear?

Fair said he would get the other assistant to push players to the agent. Assume thats KJ.

"Perhaps the most revealing part of the past 48 hours came from numerous conversations with coaches and assistants throughout the sport. There’s a near-universal admission that they had no sense that the activities of coaches, agents and sneaker company reps were against the law. (The NCAA’s impotent enforcement department had been incapable of policing the grassroots underworld for decades.) The culture of the activities described in the federal court documents – buying players, steering players and brokering deals for kickbacks – has become such an engrained part of the sport’s culture that there was widespread shock that it was raised to federal government implications. The activities the feds are investigating, to many in college basketball, were considered business as usual."

https://sports.yahoo.com/feds-decided-college-basketballs-corruption-worth-time-171833684.html

This sentiment drives me absolutely crazy. Let me say this, at the outset, I do believe significant reform is in order, something along the lines of compensating players on some level moving forward. However, up until now, with the rules in place as we know and understand them, these guys either had their heads so far up one direction or so far down in the sand, it's baffling. Not thinking something's illegal is not a viable defense, ever, for anyone. Besides, these guys knew it was at least against the rules of their sanctioning body, but apparently they've long since given any thought to that.

"We knew were breaking the NCAA rules, no worries, but if we'd known our actions constituted widespread, (illegal) fraud, we surely wouldn't have done it." 

Good, decent people, unfortunately, are also the victims here. The fallout isn't just limited to a handful of recruits, their schools, their families, and their sneaker companies. Fans and a majority of boosters, even students, dutifully bought tickets, merchandise, made contributions, sat through commercials of sponsors of the games they were interested in watching. They did all of these things with rightful hope and expectation that the sport was being conducted on the up-and-up, that the seedy underbelly that we have all suspected, was just that: the underside of the sport. Nobody wanted to believe or had any necessary reason to suspect basketball was this fraught with corruption. 

Does eighty years seem like a long time for one of these guys to spend in prison? Yeah. But, consider the full mathematical fallout in the situation. How many 100's of thousands of fans were bilked out of a cumulative tens, perhaps hundreds, of millions of their hard-earned dollars? Money they spent because they had honest hope that the outcome of this game could go either way, more easily than it has. 

In short, to those in and around the periphery of the sport, that had knowledge of and were involved in ushering in this heinous activity:

Eff you.

Pitino ALLOWED Meiners to share this tweet. Not sure why Meiners would even go along with this charade considering the 99% of Louisville hates Pitino right now. Pitino has many characteristics of a sociopath. Breaks rules/laws, takes no responsibility, and shows zero remorse. Seriously, this clown allows his tweet to be shared playing the victim and wanting sympathy. What an egotistical POS. 

The only player that Crean ever got that never made sense to me was Vonleh. I guess if he knew he was one and done and wanted plenty of exposure, an elite program on the heels of an amazing season is the route to go. He just never seemed to care. Rarely has ever talked about IU post collegiate years. Never comes back like other players. Maybe that's just him and it's an anomaly but that's the only one that feels funny to me. The DMV pipeline with Boo Williams has an odor but I wouldn't say it stinks. 

If Louisville gets the death penalty, as another poster pointed out, it affects the community and the fans the most. People have been making arguments that they sold their soul to the devil but I'm not sure I agree. The YUM! Center is big business for Louisville and if fans don't show up, that whole town is in the red on that stadium. 

Lastly, I will not and will never accept a punishment of the death penalty after it was not given to Penn State. Institutionalized abuse, cover ups, and pure evil. If you jump down the rabbit hole of that investigation, you found out how deep that whole thing really goes. I regret reading so much about Sandusky, his son, and that part of Pennsylvania. The school was in on it and so were prominent citizens of the area. It's beyond creepy and the Nittany Lions should not exist anymore. The NCAA is a joke. I hope the FBI exposes them next.

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Relative to the links posted above.  Yet another person publicly saying they knew about the corruption going on in college basketball.  And I say, yet another person who failed to speak out publicly about it..... until this week.

KU coach Bill Self: 'It's been a dark week' | KUsports.com

Well, Mile, that read to me like a tacit acknowledgement that KU is in the weeds as much as everyone else.  When the coach starts talking about realizing it's bad, but at the same time acknowledging that it is almost required for head coaches to keep their jobs and for assistant coaches to move up (all by delivering talent) it seems to me he knows he's been playing in the mud.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

image.png.f9c92614c3e7ee2be7066d5894004519.png

Would be nice to get this kind of release from IU.

We know IU isn't the subject of an investigation in the way this statement is intended because none of the arrested assistant coaches have any connection to IU.

I wouldn't read it too broadly; this isn't a statement clearing South Carolina of any possibility they did anything wrong.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Per secondhand info, no IU basketball players that made the NBA over the past 10 year signed endorsement deals with Adidas.  

There doesn't seem to be a strong connection between IU players and Adidas.

From what I could find it appears that Vonleh, Zeller, and Oladipo all signed deals with the Jordan Brand. I couldn't find anything about shoe companies and OG, Williams, Ferrell, or Bryant. 

4 hours ago, SoInHoosier25 said:

Pitino ALLOWED Meiners to share this tweet. Not sure why Meiners would even go along with this charade considering the 99% of Louisville hates Pitino right now. Pitino has many characteristics of a sociopath. Breaks rules/laws, takes no responsibility, and shows zero remorse. Seriously, this clown allows his tweet to be shared playing the victim and wanting sympathy. What an egotistical POS. 

Wow that makes me sick! YOU did wrong! YOU are getting what YOU deserve!

Archived