FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder how much Kansas is being scrutinized?  They've had some shenanigans there, including Cliff Alexander. 

Anytime you see an assistant who is more of a "recruiter" than an actual coach, I'd be concerned.  Those are the guys being profiled.  If you take a look under the hood at Jerrence Howard as an example, he's all about recruiting.  He's not an assistant on the verge of being hired as a head coach. His deal is relationship-building and recruiting.   These are the types of guys who warrant heavy scrutiny. 

Going back a few years now.  Ed Manning was driving truck cross country, when Larry Brown hired Ed as an assistant. Three days after hiring Ed,  Danny Manning became a Jayhawk. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure head coaches will be fired at most of these schools. Sure, the NCAA may hold them responsible but if they didn't break a law and don't have the extra baggage of Pitino I don't think most schools will make that move. 

I agree here. Most of these big schools with the high profile coaches will do all they can to keep the coaches imo. In the end they will still value winning more, and if they can throw it off on an assistant or two so be it.

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Dickie V catching heat for this tweet. Just wait until his old buddy Cal gets brought into the fix. He might stroke out.

Just read this story, great read. Wow there is a lot involved in just that one player. It just shows the depths people will go to for that advantage. I feel bad for Bowen himself, to me it sounds like greedy parents almost selling off their kid. To me that's the worst part of this story and no one is really talking much about that!

14 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

Just read this story, great read. Wow there is a lot involved in just that one player. It just shows the depths people will go to for that advantage. I feel bad for Bowen himself, to me it sounds like greedy parents almost selling off their kid. To me that's the worst part of this story and no one is really talking much about that!

Yes just pull the Cam Newton and play dumb to what his mom was doing and he gets to play.

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Members  should click on the story.  As it goes into depth and detail about the Brian Bowen recruitment.

And, don't forget, the federal investigation had been going on for around two years before Bowen even thought about committing to Louisville. The next few weeks should be very interesting.

56 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Dickie V catching heat for this tweet. Just wait until his old buddy Cal gets brought into the fix. He might stroke out.

The author of this article (Lexington Herald) forgot to thank John Calipari and World Wide Wes for their contributions in explaining how all of this works in an easy to understand way. Maybe they asked to not be identified. 

24 minutes ago, cybergates said:

The author of this article (Lexington Herald) forgot to thank John Calipari and World Wide Wes for their contributions in explaining how all of this works in an easy to understand way. Maybe they asked to not be identified. 

Is it just me or does it seem like this payment setup with Adidas was in its infancy? Meaning, the infrastructure didn't seem to be a well-oiled machine with the folks involved trying to figure out how to get the money through Adidas without throwing up a red flag about what it was actually about.

In the article it also mentions that the other company was coming with a "large number" that they needed to compete with. If that other company was Nike (my assumption), then perhaps Nike has been doing this for a while and Adidas folks, trying to make their mark and gain some market share (even though the issue doesn't sound to be like a corporate practice but that of rogue individuals), have been trying to play catch up. Does anyone else get this vibe from the story? The Adidas reps just didn't seem to have their ducks in a row, i.e. have the money flow issue smoothly figured out.

24 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Is it just me or does it seem like this payment setup with Adidas was in its infancy? Meaning, the infrastructure didn't seem to be a well-oiled machine with the folks involved trying to figure out how to get the money through Adidas without throwing up a red flag about what it was actually about.

In the article it also mentions that the other company was coming with a "large number" that they needed to compete with. If that other company was Nike (my assumption), then perhaps Nike has been doing this for a while and Adidas folks, trying to make their mark and gain some market share (even though the issue doesn't sound to be like a corporate practice but that of rogue individuals), have been trying to play catch up. Does anyone else get this vibe from the story? The Adidas reps just didn't seem to have their ducks in a row, i.e. have the money flow issue smoothly figured out.

Yea I can see that. Hell Nike had a 40 year head start. Code and I believe Gatto as well had both been at Nike, so they would know what to do, maybe just didn't know who at Adidas they could trust yet though.

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure head coaches will be fired at most of these schools. Sure, the NCAA may hold them responsible but if they didn't break a law and don't have the extra baggage of Pitino I don't think most schools will make that move. 

If assistants and sneaker associates flip on the head coaches and the stories jive and corroborate, we could certainly see some heads roll, even before a proper court proceeding ever began. The court of public opinion fueled by the legitimacy of the details of a legitimate FBI investigation will pack some significant cache.

KoB, you could totally be right, though I hope you aren’t. I hope this hunt yields dramatic findings and results. People say this is bad for the sport. On the contrary, ‘tis the best thing that ever could happen for this sport.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Yes just pull the Cam Newton and play dumb to what his mom was doing and he gets to play.

That won't work for two reasons. First is they closed that loophole, and second is that loophole only worked because they couldn't find any evidence anyone in the Newton family got paid. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I wonder how many players he has steered toward Duke in the past...he slobbers all over them every chance he gets

He slobbers all over K, Roy, Cal, Pitino, Izzo and Boeheim. While he favors all coaches, that seems to be his core group. He defended Boeheim big time when during his suspension. 

Archived