FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20887538/suspended-louisville-cardinals-coach-rick-pitino-selling-house-laying-low-wake-recruiting-scandal

So apparently Pitino is now claiming that he was just discussing Terry Rozier's Adidas deal with Jim Gatto, and Bowen just happened to commit days later.  Suuuuure.

Lame.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

After reading this, I understand McRobbie's frustration, but the way he talks about athletics, it seems like it is just way down on his list on what he wants in this university, and how it plays into what he feels the priorities of his job are.If you were here on campus you would think he would appreciate what athletics and the money it brings in has allowed him to do.

All the expansion I have seen over the last decade going on in this campus, and it would not be possible without big time athletics, and the money it brings in. I don't believe any of you are here on campus each day, so I will tell you when you look at the expansions in Kelly, SPEA, and many other programs, and I am talking capital projects, there has been major renovations, new swanky digs, and the construction just continues to keep moving right along. Every day I drive in and I am in awe of all the construction taking place around the University. Empty parking lots becoming new buildings, old buildings being renovated. Athletics while not being the only contributor to this, sure makes a big difference. Especially the IU BBall program. I would think that would merit him talking about it as if it was not just a distraction at times, and believe me on campus, you sometimes do get that vibe with him when he speaks.

If he would have read the article, and looked into all the angles and information out there, he would have seen it is not just about Adidas. Being an Adidas school concerned me at first, but not after I started to read everything, like I would have thought he would have. Arizona is Nike, USC Under Armour. This is not going to be about Adidas, in fact I think in time we will learn that Adidas was imitating what is standard practice at Nike, and Under Armour has been in catch up mode, but has been making quick progress. Business as Usual or it was.

I just don't like the fact he is looking for things about Crean, who seems to be one of the coaches who spoke out against it. I like being proactive, but McRobbie's tone is different. Maybe I am reading too much in to it, but the fact it took so long to let go of Crean after witnessing his coaching  or lack of it at times spoke volumes about what McRobbies priorities are. Coaches have to walk a very fine line in big time athletics, and I think some coaches deserve a very bright flashlight being shined upon them, and I think we know who the top two are, since they seem to have nothing but 5 stars walking in the door without any problem each year without hardly a fight. An informed President may want to look at the situation and think about what he says. Possibly he could have given us a vote of confidence he was sure after the Sampson fiasco we are running a clean program, but we want to make sure. I would just prefer a little more of a positive tone from him at times. Maybe I am completely off, but when this scandal hit, Crean was the last person who had me worried, even though we are an Adidas school.

39 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

After reading this, I understand McRobbie's frustration, but the way he talks about athletics, it seems like it is just way down on his list on what he wants in this university, and how it plays into what he feels the priorities of his job are.If you were here on campus you would think he would appreciate what athletics and the money it brings in has allowed him to do.

All the expansion I have seen over the last decade going on in this campus, and it would not be possible without big time athletics, and the money it brings in. I don't believe any of you are here on campus each day, so I will tell you when you look at the expansions in Kelly, SPEA, and many other programs, and I am talking capital projects, there has been major renovations, new swanky digs, and the construction just continues to keep moving right along. Every day I drive in and I am in awe of all the construction taking place around the University. Empty parking lots becoming new buildings, old buildings being renovated. Athletics while not being the only contributor to this, sure makes a big difference. Especially the IU BBall program. I would think that would merit him talking about it as if it was not just a distraction at times, and believe me on campus, you sometimes do get that vibe with him when he speaks.

If he would have read the article, and looked into all the angles and information out there, he would have seen it is not just about Adidas. Being an Adidas school concerned me at first, but not after I started to read everything, like I would have thought he would have. Arizona is Nike, USC Under Armour. This is not going to be about Adidas, in fact I think in time we will learn that Adidas was imitating what is standard practice at Nike, and Under Armour has been in catch up mode, but has been making quick progress. Business as Usual or it was.

I just don't like the fact he is looking for things about Crean, who seems to be one of the coaches who spoke out against it. I like being proactive, but McRobbie's tone is different. Maybe I am reading too much in to it, but the fact it took so long to let go of Crean after witnessing his coaching  or lack of it at times spoke volumes about what McRobbies priorities are. Coaches have to walk a very fine line in big time athletics, and I think some coaches deserve a very bright flashlight being shined upon them, and I think we know who the top two are, since they seem to have nothing but 5 stars walking in the door without any problem each year without hardly a fight. An informed President may want to look at the situation and think about what he says. Possibly he could have given us a vote of confidence he was sure after the Sampson fiasco we are running a clean program, but we want to make sure. I would just prefer a little more of a positive tone from him at times. Maybe I am completely off, but when this scandal hit, Crean was the last person who had me worried, even though we are an Adidas school.

As fans we think athletics should be the most important thing but that is not what the University is there for. The most important thing to the president should be academics and the students well being over athletics.

2 hours ago, hoosierdaddy1020 said:

I knew that this would drag out over a long period of time, but the fan in me wants more news now!

When do you expect the next "shoe" to fall? :snack:

Think about it like this. They started this 2 years ago. Everything they released was pretty recent. You aren't going to tell me it took 2 years to build just that. They are holding a lot of info.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

As fans we think athletics should be the most important thing but that is not what the University is there for. The most important thing to the president should be academics and the students well being over athletics.

I couldn't agree more.

9 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Hmmm..... That's interesting. I've been listening to a L'ville radio station today and the university president says that no one has been fired yet

That's correct. It's procedural, following the terms of Pitino's contract: the board has to vote to terminate him, then he has 10 days to appeal their decision and defend himself, then he can be fired (this is off memory as I don't have the details in front of me, but it's substantially similar to that).

So this is a step in the process of firing him formally.

7 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

That's correct. It's procedural, following the terms of Pitino's contract: the board has to vote to terminate him, then he has 10 days to appeal their decision and defend himself, then he can be fired (this is off memory as I don't have the details in front of me, but it's substantially similar to that).

So this is a step in the process of firing him formally.

$40 million steps 

6 hours ago, Iuprof said:

All the expansion I have seen over the last decade going on in this campus, and it would not be possible without big time athletics, and the money it brings in.

Does anyone here know how much money the athletics department actually contributes to, or takes from, the rest of the university? I thought I had heard that many universities actually lose money on athletics as a whole, even if they make quite a bit on the basketball and/or football teams. The money for the non-revenue sports does have to come from somewhere. With the introduction of the BTN, I would assume that the IU athletic department makes money now, even if it didn't always do so?

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Think about it like this. They started this 2 years ago. Everything they released was pretty recent. You aren't going to tell me it took 2 years to build just that. They are holding a lot of info.

I think it's safe to assume that the feds weren't looking at Brian Bowen a whole lot in 2015 and 2016. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff yet to come.

1 hour ago, OhioMark said:

Edgy, yes.  Breaking board guidelines, no.  Thanks for the contribution.  We'll let HSN.03 decide if this guy has crossed the line. 

Where in Ohio are you ?  I have relatives in Ohio. 

6 hours ago, Illinois Hoosier said:

Does anyone here know how much money the athletics department actually contributes to, or takes from, the rest of the university? I thought I had heard that many universities actually lose money on athletics as a whole, even if they make quite a bit on the basketball and/or football teams. The money for the non-revenue sports does have to come from somewhere. With the introduction of the BTN, I would assume that the IU athletic department makes money now, even if it didn't always do so?

This is correct. The athletic department is self-sustaining and does not contribute to the rest of the university. 

19 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

This is correct. The athletic department is self-sustaining and does not contribute to the rest of the university. 

While this is true as far as the tangible money, many a student has come to IU due to watching IU athletics with basketball leading that charge.  Athletics is just as much a marketing tool for the university as anything else.  Not saying you were not stating that but I think it's worth pointing out.  They work hand in hand, just like many a basketball player has come to IU partially for what Kelley has to offer.

Archived