FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

As fans we think athletics should be the most important thing but that is not what the University is there for. The most important thing to the president should be academics and the students well being over athletics.

Look I fully agree academics are the most important thing, and I am glad McRobbie is on board with that. He should be, and I am a Professor here so I understand what is the most important. I also understand where the money comes from to finance all the wonderful things taking place on this campus, and sports is a big part of it. Look how large the alumni groups are in each city, who support the program, go to the bars to watch the games, and give money to IU directly. That adds up. We have one of the largest alumni groups of all the colleges if I am not mistaken. I know when I lived in NY and LA, bars where IU alumni were designated and well known.

Another poster asked how much we make from athletics, and basketball. IU basketball is #4 on the Forbes list of college basketball programs and their worth at $27.3 million in 2017. Even as bad as last year was, the value increased 8%.

The Big Ten Network projects to pay Indiana University in excess of $50 Million dollars in 2018.

The last thing I was saying is academics is not important, since it is the heart of our system, and very dear to my heart since I teach every other day, and absolutely love being involved with the school and the students. It stirs the pot and always should come first. My point was athletics is a big part of driving money to IU for all the amazing things McRobbie is doing on campus to make sure our academics and facilities are top notch. I just believe, and don't hear him discuss athletics very much unless he is forced to. I think something that helps fund the straw that stirs the university drink should be talked about with pride, and given credit. McRobbie does not talk about that athletic side of the University very much, and many times it is only when something bad has happened. I understand why, considering the situation he faced when he came in, but it does not change my opinion given the financial facts.

The last thing I would ever do is sacrifice academics for athletics. I teach athletes every semester, and I make sure they abide by the same standards as all my students to pass the class and remain eligible. My point was McRobbie just does not seem to embrace the athletic side of our wonderful university. I did not say care, he does care a lot. Their is a difference between embrace and care though. This is jmho as one who is here. McRobbie has been a wonderful president for the university as a whole. I started teaching a decade ago and I hardly recognize certain areas of campus anymore. Sometime for all the old graduates, I should list all the things which are not here anymore, and have been replaced or upgraded. It is amazing. Plus the campus is so beautiful. I am lucky where I teach is right next to the arboretum, where the 10th street stadium used to be. I take a walk there every day before class.

Mile I bet you remember the 10th street stadium. It is where the Little 500 used to be held.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Edgy, yes.  Breaking board guidelines, no.  Thanks for the contribution.  We'll let HSN.03 decide if this guy has crossed the line. 

Where in Ohio are you ?  I have relatives in Ohio. 

Thanks for the feedback Mile. I love satire, and I just found that video funny. I live in the northern suburbs, Clayton, of Dayton; and I work south of Dayton in Middletown. Where in Ohio are your relatives?

41 minutes ago, OhioMark said:

Thanks for the feedback Mile. I love satire, and I just found that video funny. I live in the northern suburbs, Clayton, of Dayton; and I work south of Dayton in Middletown. Where in Ohio are your relatives?

Dude, former Dayton guy here. Grew up in the city, Five Oaks then over near Dunbar, moved to Kettering for high school. You got a bit of a hike for work, eh? How long you been a Daytonian?

10 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Dude, former Dayton guy here. Grew up in the city, Five Oaks then over near Dunbar, moved to Kettering for high school. You got a bit of a hike for work, eh? How long you been a Daytonian?

I grew up just outside of Indianapolis for the first 20 plus years of my lufe, but I've lived in the Dayton area for about 30 years. I've lived in Huber Heights, Vandalia, Centerville and the Englewood area. I started working in air freight at the Dayton Airport, but now I'm a manager at a steel mill. It is a little bit of a haul to work.

9 minutes ago, OhioMark said:

I grew up just outside of Indianapolis for the first 20 plus years of my lufe, but I've lived in the Dayton area for about 30 years. I've lived in Huber Heights, Vandalia, Centerville and the Englewood area. I started working in air freight at the Dayton Airport, but now I'm a manager at a steel mill. It is a little bit of a haul to work.

Is AK still kicking around down there?

2 hours ago, OhioMark said:

My relatives are kind of spread out throughout the state..... Dover, Canton, and Columbus.

20 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

The longer this goes with no new information, the more I get the feeling that nothing else is going to come out of this. 

I don't think that at all. The Nike computers were just taken a few days ago. Some sports agent who's name escapes me at the moment also got raided recently. I think the fun is just getting started and will come in waves.  No B1G school really stands out as in the crosshairs with the possible exception of maybe OSU and I'm thinking more football than basketball there.  That's another point...we haven't even touched football yet.  Coaches who deal with the un-level playing field are going to eventually whisper to the FBI if they don't see cheaters under a hot light.

...and while I think Calipari is pretty slick, I don't see Kentucky as a school escaping the spotlight here.  There is just way too much smoke there and I see something or someone spilling eventually.  Cal may escape with the old plausible deniability, but I suspect there is a reason we haven't heard much from him yet on this subject.

I have no idea how the logic behind the idea that Kentucky "doesn't need to cheat anymore" works.  If anything, they need to cheat MORE.  If we accept as true (as it very much appears to be) that the majority of high-profile 5 star players are steered, bribed, and paid to go to X university by shoe companies, then how can it be that UK ends up with 5-6 man classes filled to the brim with these athletes every year without cheating?  Because UK is so good it sells itself?  Are all the players that go to Kentucky magically the ethical ones shunning life-changing sums and a sea of money because UK offers them exposure?

No, UK (or Nike) pays the players to go there.  Deep down UK fans know it, too.

Edit:  I'd also like to point out an analogous scenario to this one.  For years, people surmised that Lance Armstrong doped, and he always boasted that he "never failed a blood test," and his fans were quick to point it out and defend him.  Then he was investigated by the feds for defrauding the USPS (who were a main sponsor of his team), and it came out really quickly that he was, in fact, one of the biggest cheaters of all time in the sport of cycling.  Furthermore, of the seven tours he won, all but THREE cyclists who made it to the podium have admitted to doping as well.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

I have no idea how the logic behind the idea that Kentucky "doesn't need to cheat anymore" works. 

As we know, UK fans and logic don't mix.

'Cal's too smart to cheat anymore", "it's the wanna-bees that have to cheat to catch up to us" , they are absolutely 'not worried at all', '100% clean'

I really want to FBI to.....I can't even wish it out loud! But i bet we all wish the same thing

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Hey, why you picking on blue?  Ha

Seems like about every so called blueblood that's taken us to the recruiting woodshed over the past several years wears blue: UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UCLA (at least in part). So I'm going all in on blue. IU seems to have been the only historically blueblood school willing to self-report violations and therefore screw themselves for seemingly no reason.

1 hour ago, INDenizen said:

Seems like about every so called blueblood that's taken us to the recruiting woodshed over the past several years wears blue: UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UCLA (at least in part). So I'm going all in on blue. IU seems to have been the only school willing to self-report violations and therefore screw themselves for seemingly no reason.

Something to be said about admitting to a violation, and self imposing sanctions. .  Look at where we are now, vs UNC, and even Louisville.  Our problem and sanctions, and probation are long past us... while those who have fought, have either spent millions in their defense, while still having clouds hanging over their programs.

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Something to be said about admitting to a violation, and self imposing sanctions. .  Look at we are now, vs UNC, and even Louisville.  Our problem and sanctions, and probation are long past us... while those who have fought, have either spent millions in their defense, while still having clouds hanging over their programs.

I wonder if it's harder to take down a big banner than it is to put one up. Before this is all over, somebody might just know. I suspect that this case is gonna be very big.

Archived