FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I wonder if it's harder to take down a big banner than it is to put one up. Before this is all over, somebody might just know. I suspect that this case is gonna be very big.

Yogi Berra : "It ain't over, till it's over."

milehiiu :  "This thing is far from over. "

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Something to be said about admitting to a violation, and self imposing sanctions. .  Look at where we are now, vs UNC, and even Louisville.  Our problem and sanctions, and probation are long past us... while those who have fought, have either spent millions in their defense, while still having clouds hanging over their programs.

I'm just venting a bit, but I totally agree. I get a little bitter now and then about how the corrupt seem to get rewarded. C'est la vie.

I really hope what we are seeing now is a Hoosier resurgence. I really am pumped to have Archie and feel we are positioned well for the long run.

23 hours ago, IUaic said:

His sins may not be as bad as paying players, but he still knowingly broke the same rule (that was in place at the time) twice.

Don't forget he had a huge portion of a team flunking their classes, turned the other way with drugs, and who knows what else.  His issues with running a program was deeper than just texts and phone calls.

19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Something to be said about admitting to a violation, and self imposing sanctions. .  Look at where we are now, vs UNC, and even Louisville.  Our problem and sanctions, and probation are long past us... while those who have fought, have either spent millions in their defense, while still having clouds hanging over their programs.

While I agree with your statement, there is also something to be said for the fact that the university chose to hire Sampson in the first place. Never should have happened, the university President's agenda should have never taken precedence over common sense. I think that whole incident is a reflection of how weak leadership was in Bloomington, from the President to the AD. 

So, we can pat ourselves on the back for having addressed the situation once it came to light, we also are guilty of putting ourselves in the position to have to self impose. Our problems may be long gone, but there was considerable damage done both on the floor and within the fan/donor base that is of our own doing. 

5 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

While I agree with your statement, there is also something to be said for the fact that the university chose to hire Sampson in the first place. Never should have happened, the university President's agenda should have never taken precedence over common sense. I think that whole incident is a reflection of how weak leadership was in Bloomington, from the President to the AD. 

So, we can pat ourselves on the back for having addressed the situation once it came to light, we also are guilty of putting ourselves in the position to have to self impose. Our problems may be long gone, but there was considerable damage done both on the floor and within the fan/donor base that is of our own doing. 

Greenspan was the patsy in that whole fiasco.   He wanted Beilein but was overruled by Herbert for political reasons.  His mistake was not walking at that very moment and immediately letting everyone know what Adam Herbert was doing.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Greenspan was the patsy in that whole fiasco.   He wanted Beilein but was overruled by Herbert for political reasons.  His mistake was not walking at that very moment and immediately letting everyone know what Adam Herbert was doing.

That's a fact, Jack. :coffee:

21 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Probably be a slap on the wrist...don't do it again

We'll see. I think it may be more than a slap. I think it will be minuscule compared to the filings in the Southern District of New York Federal Court. 

I could be wrong, of course.

If you were a school in this atmosphere, and a player came to you who had been named in an FBI case, although the family says no money was exchanged, would you as a coach take him as a player, and if you would what does it say about your program?

I would not want CAM within 100 miles of the kids who are decommiting because of the scandal. I truly do wonder what it says about North Carolina. Not only are they Nike, but they the Jordan Nike Brand, which is even more precious to Nike. Either they are completely clean, or arrogant and don't think anything can be tied to them. My guess considering their present scandal and how they handled it by blaming everybody else is the latter, arrogant.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. A kid named in a potential pay-for-play scandal commits to UNC two days before the NCAA is announcing punishment for UNC because of 20 years of fake classes for athletes. Nothing to see here. No reason for the kid to hold his commitment until after the NCAA announces any sanctions?!?!

Archived