FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Just saying that players were driving around campus in high end cars during my time there. 

During my time there (early 1990's) I recall a national player of the year riding a bicycle his whole time at IU. That would seem to support the "Nobody would dare do anything unethical under Knight" theory.

On the other hand, there have been other claims that there was some funny-business, at least early on, under Knight. Quoting from the article The General Who Never Was, by Jeremy Collins:

" . . . (Dave) Shepherd wrecked his Camaro outside of Bloomington. The Camaro was rumored to be from Bill and Jim Howard, Bloomington doctors, and “friends of the program.” "

Edit: Knight was in charge at that time, but I perhaps should point out that Shepherd was a Lou Watson recruit.

37 minutes ago, Illinois Hoosier said:

During my time there (early 1990's) I recall a national player of the year riding a bicycle his whole time at IU. That would seem to support the "Nobody would dare do anything unethical under Knight" theory.

On the other hand, there have been other claims that there was some funny-business, at least early on, under Knight. Quoting from the article The General Who Never Was, by Jeremy Collins:

" . . . (Dave) Shepherd wrecked his Camaro outside of Bloomington. The Camaro was rumored to be from Bill and Jim Howard, Bloomington doctors, and “friends of the program.” "

Edit: Knight was in charge at that time, but I perhaps should point out that Shepherd was a Lou Watson recruit.

Totally off topic, but stood out to me because Dave Shepard was my 6th grade travel team basketball coach. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

IREX ? or IROC ?  I was in many IROC's back in the day.  But never heard of an IREX.  Is that a limited edition of an IROC ?

It was a very limited edition IROC-Z (one)...a special paint job just for Rex. Considering where he played, it probably wasn't that out of the ordinary.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It was a very limited edition IROC-Z (one)...a special paint job just for Rex. Considering where he played, it probably wasn't that out of the ordinary.

Oh ,  now I get it, IREX for Rex Chapman.  Duh, that one went way over my head. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I love your user name.  Breaking bad.   I keep watching it in Netflix, over and over again. 

Maybe he just really likes the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  You know, its the one that says you can't simultaneously know the precise location and velocity of a particle.  I'm sure everyone knows all about it!  The more momentum a particle has (momentum is mass times velocity...aka, the more velocity it has), the harder it is to determine its location.  Basic quantum physics lol.  It shows the inherent unpredictability of the universe when viewed from the particle level.

Walter White went from your average, everyday dad to an unpredictable drug dealer.  As he moved faster into the game, the more he lost sight of his surroundings (more momentum, loses sight of original position in life).  I feel like there are a lot of coaches that could be considered for the nickname Heisenberg.  As they get further into the cheating game, they lose sight of their prior position on ethics...if they ever had ethics!

I also enjoy the fact that I'm also a chemistry teacher with a shaved head and a goatee.  No comment on the meth part!

Glad I could bring some nerd to the board today :)

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Maybe he just really likes the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  You know, its the one that says you can't simultaneously know the precise location and velocity of a particle.  I'm sure everyone knows all about it!  The more momentum a particle has (momentum is mass times velocity...aka, the more velocity it has), the harder it is to determine its location.  Basic quantum physics lol.  It shows the inherent unpredictability of the universe when viewed from the particle level.

Walter White went from your average, everyday dad to an unpredictable drug dealer.  As he moved faster into the game, the more he lost sight of his surroundings (more momentum, loses sight of original position in life).  I feel like there are a lot of coaches that could be considered for the nickname Heisenberg.  As they get further into the cheating game, they lose sight of their prior position on ethics...if they ever had ethics!

I also enjoy the fact that I'm also a chemistry teacher with a shaved head and a goatee.  No comment on the meth part!

Glad I could bring some nerd to the board today :)

Good stuff, leather.  Not sure I knew you were a chemistry teacher, before now.  However, I will store it in my memory bank from now on.  My wife taught middle school for 35 years (all at the same school), so I am very partial to teachers. 

Walter White was stricken with cancer. Which caused him to become a drug dealer and much worse, with an objective to provide for his family.  Can't say that I agree with any of that.  But.... found the show hard to watch at times, and difficult not to watch at the same time.

Glad to know more about you and your profession.  And thanks for being a great HSN.03 member and contributor !

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Oh and one more thing, Heisey.... I hope you don't mind me calling you Heisey.  That's kind of what we do around here.

I actually recall Dickerson and his gold trans am.  And  thinking to myself.... it was not as cool as this Trans Am.

Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am - YouTube

From the 30 for 30 on SMU it was said that the Trans Am came from Texas A&M and not SMU.

On 10/5/2017 at 6:26 PM, milehiiu said:

That's a good question.  Loss of tv revenue ?  Loss of National titles ?  Loss of wins over a 20 years span ?  Loss of scholarships, like what IU got hit with ? Not able to play in the NCAA tournament, like UConn. ?  

I don't know.  Just seems like there are a lot of things the NCAA can attempt to do.... short of shutting the program down all together.  I think these are some of the things my UNC friend is thinking.

As far as leaks..... we saw how it worked at IU.  There were leaks about Sampsongate, when both IU and the NCAA, were not wanting that to come to pass. 

I would think taking all scholarships away for x number of years would be as close to death penalty as possible. They don't kill the program, but with no scholarships the program would field a team of walk ons and be terrible for those years. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

From the 30 for 30 on SMU it was said that the Trans Am came from Texas A&M and not SMU.

The trans am came from Texas A&M and it was much cooler than that he Smokey and the Bandito version. Aggie booster supplied it then it drove away....lol

2 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TucsonStar/status/917555299384311809

Just saw this. (I may start a topic in the technical question area of "how do I embed a tweet"? :P)

Once you learn how to do it... you can teach me as well. LOL

Thanks for the contribution.  To me, it sounds much like how UNC has spent millions defending Roy and company.  I know he is Archie's bro.  But hey... just give it up Arizona.

UNC's punishment for 20 years of cheating may be coming this week. Though one doubts how serious the NCAA will be.  And UNC may be spending even more millions to defend what can't seriously be defended.  Ole Roy may be dead and in his grave before UNC gives up on this travesty.  The whole world knows they cheated the system.  And to say it was pure academic, and they have already served their penalty is just pure non sense.  Those classes, as personified by McCant's going from being academically ineligible to being on the Dean's list  in the matter of an eye's blink, are beyond the belief of any college basketball fan, that is not a fan of UNC.   And even many UNC fans can't even buy into the travesty that transpired over 20 years in Chapel Hill. 

Archived