FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

ive tried listening to local radio and talking to some people but they are keeping a tight tight lid on who is involved. I'm going to try to use some more resources and figure out if I can see whose involved! stay tuned

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And here I always thought Title IX was about sports and having equal numbers and many other things but I never knew that Title IX covered things like this. You never truly understand the process until you have seen someone go through the Title IX investigation and appeal process which I have witnessed. 

Sorry to get into the semantics of all this again, but it wasn't the phone calls or the NCAA that took all the scholarship players away from IU. People always think IU got hammered by the NCAA, but they really didn't. Kelvin Sampson is the one who ruined IU, and not because of phone calls or NCAA penalties, but because he paid no attention to things like character, the drug policy and academics. 

If Kelvin Sampson had fielded a high-character team full of guys with good academic standing and no drug violations, Crean would have ketp them all and taken over a great situation. The NCAA didn't kick guys like Eli Holman, Jordan Crawford, etc. off the team and make guys like Armon Bassett transfer. 

The NCAA didn't really do that much to IU. 

51 minutes ago, Louie Dampier#10 said:

Thanks Mile, Louie is my uncle. Great role model to have growing up.

Your uncle is 2 years my senior.  I started following him while the both of us were in high school. Albeit, I was in Gary, and he was in Indianapolis at that time.Then years later, I followed him when he was an assistant coach for the Denver Nuggets.

During your uncle's playing years, as I am sure you are aware, but others may not know.... he was one of the premiere scorers in all of basketball. George Girvin once said something like..... it didn't matter, where Louie was.... he could shoot the lights out.

And Gleas... you are right.  IU self-sanctioned, and the NCAA went along with the self-emposed sanctions, with the exception of adding one additional loss of a scholarship, if memory serves correctly.  And yes. Crean and I believe Dak kicked guys off the team. It was Dak that finally got Sampson to suspend players on a rotating basis, after they went awol from the game held in Chicago, and coming back and not passing drug tests.  That had nothing to do with the NCAA.   In Jordan Crawford's case, I remember him being upset with Dak for making guys run the stairs.  And fresh in my mind is a You Tube video, of Jordan still a member of the team and getting reading to have a meeting with Crean. Crean really tried to keep Crawford on the team.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Sorry to get into the semantics of all this again, but it wasn't the phone calls or the NCAA that took all the scholarship players away from IU. People always think IU got hammered by the NCAA, but they really didn't. Kelvin Sampson is the one who ruined IU, and not because of phone calls or NCAA penalties, but because he paid no attention to things like character, the drug policy and academics. 

If Kelvin Sampson had fielded a high-character team full of guys with good academic standing and no drug violations, Crean would have ketp them all and taken over a great situation. The NCAA didn't kick guys like Eli Holman, Jordan Crawford, etc. off the team and make guys like Armon Bassett transfer. 

Right - IU self-reported, and then self-disciplined.

Can you imagine UNC doing either?

2 hours ago, Louie Dampier#10 said:

Thanks Mile, Louie is my uncle. Great role model to have growing up.

Interesting.  When I was in grade school (Southport Elem.) my bus driver was Bill Dampier (Louie's brother or cousin?).  Bill's wife Wilma drove the bus on occasion.

I have neighbors that used to be related to Louie by marriage (Hibners).  I got to play a little 2 on 2 against Louie and Gus around 1979.  Also had Blackie Braden in the same neighborhood.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree with this whole heartedly. I believe this is really what Crean was referring to when he blasted Jeff Meyer. Those guys let sh*t get out of hand by recruiting kids with questionable character. Those "student" athletes ruined the program as much as anything else. It would be interesting to sit down with E. Gordon to hear him speak on the situation at the time. 

29 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree with this whole heartedly. I believe this is really what Crean was referring to when he blasted Jeff Meyer. Those guys let sh*t get out of hand by recruiting kids with questionable character. Those "student" athletes ruined the program as much as anything else. It would be interesting to sit down with E. Gordon to hear him speak on the situation at the time. 

Clearly, Crean had issues with how the program was being run, before he took over the reigns at IU.  Most of us still feel to this day, that Crean knew more than he ever let off.  Dak, on the other hand, regardless of what we think of him today.... expressed his disgust, then and to this day as to how the program was being run, under Sampson.

Interesting article that includes quotes from Colorado coach Tad Boyle and Georgia coach Mark Fox. Boyle is more direct in the article, but both comment on losing players due to money being paid, and Boyle goes as far to say that he stops recruiting a kid if certain schools get involved. 

I've said this several times, and I realize big repercussions would come from doing it, but until someone like Boyle puts his career on the line and names names, then we're relying on the FBI to continue to pursue this hard if we want any real change. 

It actually kind of bothers me when Boyle, and guys like Izzo and Crean who have both done it, come out with these veiled accusations. If you're so mad and upset about it, then do something about it. I'm not saying it would be easy, or that it wouldn't severely impact their careers, but it's going to take someone that knows the players and in's/outs to come out and blow this up. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaches-say-must-happen-federal-probe-incite-meaningful-change-131708543.html

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Interesting article that includes quotes from Colorado coach Tad Boyle and Georgia coach Mark Fox. Boyle is more direct in the article, but both comment on losing players due to money being paid, and Boyle goes as far to say that he stops recruiting a kid if certain schools get involved. 

I've said this several times, and I realize big repercussions would come from doing it, but until someone like Boyle puts his career on the line and names names, then we're relying on the FBI to continue to pursue this hard if we want any real change. 

It actually kind of bothers me when Boyle, and guys like Izzo and Crean who have both done it, come out with these veiled accusations. If you're so mad and upset about it, then do something about it. I'm not saying it would be easy, or that it wouldn't severely impact their careers, but it's going to take someone that knows the players and in's/outs to come out and blow this up. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaches-say-must-happen-federal-probe-incite-meaningful-change-131708543.html

So much I could add about Tad Boyle.  Former coach of the University of Northern Colorado, in Greeley, Colorado before becoming HC at Colorado.  A former player at the University of Kansas, or Kansas University, which ever you want to call it... at the time that Danny Manning was at UK, and his dad as well.

Not surprised what Boyle has said. And why Colorado has sucked since they beat IU in the NCAA. 

Plus a great find Gleas, and thanks for linking it for all of us to share.

14 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I'm really skeptical of these rumors. The FBI isn't leaking. And journalists are getting this info from coaches. 

So true. Unlike the NCAA, the FBI's investigation is successful because they don't have leaks. This all has to be pure speculation, because unless the FBI is personally telling coaches they are being investigated, then I don't believe it until I see it. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

So true. Unlike the NCAA, the FBI's investigation is successful because they don't have leaks. This all has to be pure speculation, because unless the FBI is personally telling coaches they are being investigated, then I don't believe it until I see it. 

I'd be careful with that assessment. The recently fired head of the FBI admitted he leaked internal notes (or memos) to a newspaper reporter.  While it appears the FBI is keeping a tight lid on this investigation for now, as long as there are humans, there can be leaks.

Archived