FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Dickie V is all about the Brotherhood. And yes, he's kind of a fraud. The lie detector comment is a joke.

Yup, he actually went on about a 6-7 tweet rant about how Louisville rushed to judgement on Pitino, completely leaving out that this is like his 3rd scandal. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

If 28 different schools are conducting internal reviews, then I ask.... what does that tell you ? 

I would say that there are things that those 28 schools are hiding and don't want anyone to know be it the incompetent NCAA or the federal government(FBI). 

20 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

I would say that there are things that those 28 schools are hiding and don't want anyone to know be it the incompetent NCAA or the federal government(FBI). 

It could also be the prudent thing to do.  Isn't it the duty of the university to make sure that this kind of thing has not happened at their institution but if it has, to correct it?  If I were a college or university, I wouldn't try to hide from the FBI.  It's very unlikely work, and the more likely result would be jail time for those involved. 

5 minutes ago, slojoe said:

It could also be the prudent thing to do.  Isn't it the duty of the university to make sure that this kind of thing has not happened at their institution but if it has, to correct it?  If I were a college or university, I wouldn't try to hide from the FBI.  It's very unlikely work, and the more likely result would be jail time for those involved. 

Agree. I don't think internal reviews in this situation are any admittance of guilt, they're just SOP to do your due diligence to make sure you're school isn't involved. 

I'd be surprised if IU doesn't do an internal review. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

With Adidas and Kenny Johnson being so heavily involved in this, I think it would be irresponsible for IU not to conduct an internal review.

You raise a good point.  Not going to discredit it.  However, I can say that I, personally have dealt with IU's compliance department on a few occasions.  And can attest to the fact that when I did, they have been on top of things.  Won't mention all of the times. With the exception of one time.... when Yogi's mom was breaking an NCAA rule. By the time I got in touch with compliance, they had told me they had already talked to her.  Based  on my experiences, I have no doubt that IU's compliance department has been on top of things.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

You raise a good point.  Not going to discredit it.  However, I can say that I, personally have dealt with IU's compliance department on a few occasions.  And can attest to the fact that when I did, they have been on top of things.  Won't mention all of the times. With the exception of one time.... when Yogi's mom was breaking an NCAA rule. By the time I got in touch with compliance, they had told me they had already talked to her.  Based  on my experiences, I have no doubt that IU's compliance department has been on top of things.

I don’t see what the compliance department being on top of things has to do with doing an internal review? An internal review is just due diligence. It could be as simple as the Presidents office or some legal team the university uses just going over all those great notes/files the compliance department has. 

The compliance department being great just makes the internal review quicker/easier, which is a good thing. 

If you don't believe your school is involved, what is the advantage of an internal review? Personally, I'm absolutely fine with the administration doing exactly what they did...conduct discussions to ensure that everyone is on the same page and aware of the expectations of following the rules.

Let's say IU undertook an internal review and discovered that 5-6 years ago Kenny Johnson gave a player $500 cash for whatever reason?  Let's say our internal review found that Kenny felt sorry for a broke college student and did this on his own with no one else on the coaching staff knowing about it.  What advantage would discovering such knowledge give IU?  Kenny is gone...the head coach ran a clean program (or at least tried).  IU as a program really didn't benefit in this example so what is the positive that comes from discovering and self-reporting a violation like that?  I don't see it.

Unless you feel there are problems in your program that need to be stopped, I don't see the advantage of digging around to try and find dirt in your own program when there's no reason to feel it exists.  It just seems like a waste of time and resources to me.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If you don't believe your school is involved, what is the advantage of an internal review? Personally, I'm absolutely fine with the administration doing exactly what they did...conduct discussions to ensure that everyone is on the same page and aware of the expectations of following the rules.

Let's say IU undertook an internal review and discovered that 5-6 years ago Kenny Johnson gave a player $500 cash for whatever reason?  Let's say our internal review found that Kenny felt sorry for a broke college student and did this on his own with no one else on the coaching staff knowing about it.  What advantage would discovering such knowledge give IU?  Kenny is gone...the head coach ran a clean program (or at least tried).  IU as a program really didn't benefit in this example so what is the positive that comes from discovering and self-reporting a violation like that?  I don't see it.

Unless you feel there are problems in your program that need to be stopped, I don't see the advantage of digging around to try and find dirt in your own program when there's no reason to feel it exists.  It just seems like a waste of time and resources to me.

Agreed with all your points. And especially more true after the recent UNC decision.

Edit to add:  Plus, what is the value of even having a compliance department, if there is a need for an audit ? 

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Your hypothetical is pretty narrow here.  And although it may seem to some that there’s no reason to think any dirt exists, it’s a fact Adidas and Johnson are two major and direct ties to the FBI investigation.  Those connections are more than enough reason to do an internal investigation.

I agree with you that IU shouldn’t self-report, no matter how egregious any potential violation may have been.  But if any violations do exist, it would be advantageous for the athletic department to discover those violations, so it’s not caught off guard by any NCAA or FBI allegations.  Burying your head in the sand is never a good idea when it comes to these types of situations.

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Your hypothetical is pretty narrow here.  And although it may seem to some that there’s no reason to think any dirt exists, it’s a fact Adidas and Johnson are two major and direct ties to the FBI investigation.  Those connections are more than enough reason to do an internal investigation.

I agree with you that IU shouldn’t self-report, no matter how egregious any potential violation may have been.  But if any violations do exist, it would be advantageous for the athletic department to discover those violations, so it’s not caught off guard by any NCAA or FBI allegations.  Burying your head in the sand is never a good idea when it comes to these types of situations.

FBI wise, absolutely, find out and self-report. NCAA...screw them. Give them as little as possible.

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This guy's truly shameless. Or simply this is the one and the only thing he can do to salvage his career and squeeze more $$$. 

Archived