FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

Well this just happened.

Seems like a great watch dog. Good thing nothing of extreme importance has ever flew under her nose. :/ Maybe just don't phrase any memos as 'Nike determined to infiltrate AAU ranks with suit cases of cash' or it might just cross her desk un-noticed.  

Sorry. Low blow. 

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Seems like a great watch dog. Good thing nothing of extreme importance has ever flew under her nose. :/ Maybe just don't phrase any memos as 'Nike determined to infiltrate AAU ranks with suit cases of cash' or it might just cross her desk un-noticed.  

Sorry. Low blow. 

Yes you should edited the post. No politics here.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd be careful with that assessment. The recently fired head of the FBI admitted he leaked internal notes (or memos) to a newspaper reporter.  While it appears the FBI is keeping a tight lid on this investigation for now, as long as there are humans, there can be leaks.

I agree, FBI leaks stuff all the time. 

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Yes you should edited the post. No politics here.

I just edited for clarity, but it was just a joke. No political motives on my end. I'll remove it if you want. 

Funny though how the NCAA now forms a committee to pretend they are doing something about infractions they knew were going on but decided to turn a blind eye to. Is the first rule of PR: when faced with adversity and scrutiny - form a a committee ? 

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I just edited for clarity, but it was just a joke. No political motives on my end. I'll remove it if you want. 

Funny though how the NCAA now forms a committee to pretend they are doing something about infractions they knew were going on but decided to turn a blind eye to. Is the first rule of PR: when faced with adversity and scrutiny - form a a committee ? 

Thank you. Leave it.

Having John Thompson III on the committee , to me is like having the fox guarding the hen house.

The fox in the henhouse | American Culture Explained

I was very close to the Moses Abraham recruitment.  The day Moses left IU.... he was going to be a Hoosier.  No doubt about it.  Curiously, that changed once both of the Thompson's got in his ear.   I always thought there was something wrong going on.

Turned out, even with help, in my estimation JTIII was not a good developer of the four and five star talent that suddenly landed in his lap while he was HC at Georgetown.

Georgetown’s past, present, and future is at stake with John Thompson III decision - SBNation.com

And though this article is somewhat dated..... I find it prophetic...... in that based on the current events..... Georgetown's future, as far as I am concerned   IS at stake  !

I’m not going to go as far as calling the commission a sham or a PR Stunt, although it might be both of those things.  But I am going to call it style over substance. Grant Hill and David Robinson?  That’s a classic style move because those guys are seen as postive role models.  I’d be shocked if they contributed anything of consequence though.  Too bad they couldn’t get Tony Dungy, lol.   

The NCAA needs to show something and this committee is a laughably predictable move.  I expect nothing big to get done but we will see lots of chest pounding by the NCAA telling the public they are on it.  This is about optics they think will sell to a disillusioned and disgusted public.

And I have never bought into the idea they can’t do anything because they don’t have subpoena power.  They do not do anything due to some combination of (a) not wanting to do so due to revenue loss, (b) incompetence, and (c) a culture that is not properly focused on the integrity and academic foundations of inter-collegiate sport but rather a short sighted focus on immediate cash flow.  The NCAA is as inept a group of people as you will ever find.  Their structure, guidelines, approach,  messaging, and communications with member institutions are all poorly devised.  They may manage amateur student athletes but that doesn’t mean they need to be run amateurishly.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not going to go as far as calling the commission a sham or a PR Stunt, although it might be both of those things.  But I am going to call it style over substance. Grant Hill and David Robinson?  That’s a classic style move because those guys are seen as postive role models.  I’d be shocked if they contributed anything of consequence though.  Too bad they couldn’t get Tony Dungy, lol.   

The NCAA needs to show something and this committee is a laughably predictable move.  I expect nothing big th3 NCAA telling the public they are on it.  

And I have never bought into the idea they can’t do anything because they don’t have subpoena power.  They don5 do anything due to some combination of not wanting to do so due to revenue loss, incompetence, and a culture that is not properly focused on the integrity and academic foundations of inter-collegiate sport.  The NCAA is as inept a group of people as you will ever find.  

I'm curious as to why you think David Robinson and Grant Hill can't provide substance? Both are highly educated, accomplished guys (on and off the floor) who have been through the process at all levels. I'd trust Grant Hill and David Robinson to provide substance before I would the AD's from Ohio State anf Florida who have a clear conflict. 

I put them in the same category as Tony Dungy.  When the Miami Dolphins had their bullygate saga, their solution was to set up a commission with Tony Dungy.  It was done to say, “hey, we are doing something.” To my knowledge, the commission accomplished nothing but helped weather a PR storm.  “Hey, we got Tony Dungy looking at this.”  I see David Robinson and Grant Hill filling the same style.  Nice guys from good academic schools. I’m not saying they aren’t capable of doing anything.  I do not know if they have any experience in being fixers of complex issues.  You can’t walk in off a TV studio saying the most bland, uninteresting things and suddenly show high level analytical skill.  This type of thing will require thinking from high level, experienced folks not figureheads who are popular for their perceived outstanding ethics and popularity.  Maybe they will produce work product that will impress all.  I am skeptical.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I put them in the same category as Tony Dungy.  When the Miami Dolphins had their bullygate saga, their solution was to set up a commission with Tony Dungy.  It was done to say, “hey, we are doing something.” To my knowledge, the commission accomplished nothing but helped weather a PR storm.  “Hey, we got Tony Dungy looking at this.”  I see David Robinson and Grant Hill filling the same style.  Nice guys from good academic schools. I’m not saying they aren’t capable of doing anything.  I do not know if they have any experience in being fixers of complex issues.  You can’t walk in off a TV studio saying the most bland, uninteresting things and suddenly show high level analytical skill.  This type of thing will require thinking from high level, experienced folks not figureheads who are popular for their perceived outstanding ethics and popularity.  Maybe they will produce work product that will impress all.  I am skeptical.  

Didn't Steve Kerr walk off a television set and change basketball as we know it? With no experience coaching. 

I get that it isn't apples to apples, but I don't think having worked in TV disqualifies them. I think they'll bring a much needed point of view. 

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree with you on the formation of the committee in the first place. But in forming one, I think Hill and Robinson are great choices. I'd rather have them than many others on the committee who have clear conflicts of interest (Gene Smith, Jeremy Foley, JTIII to name a few).

I think you're short-changing Hill and Robinson. Both are not just athletes that walked off the court and into the studio. They're both extremely accomplished and educated. Hill has done a ton of real estate development and runs a VC, along with owning the Hawks, and Robinson owns a VC firm and has done a lot for the community, etc. 

I'd be with you if they brought in Eddy Curry and Lamar Odom or something, but Hill and Robinson are fantastic choices IMO. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not going to go as far as calling the commission a sham or a PR Stunt, although it might be both of those things.  But I am going to call it style over substance.

Especially so in light of the fact that an active Grand Jury is apparently hard at work.

Archived