FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

If "Slick Rick" had no knowledge..... I just have to wonder.... why is he suing ?  Just let it go.   Next.... I wonder who has more money ?  "Slick Rick", he of three major scandals while HC at UL, or the shoe company he is suing ? 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Your hypothetical is pretty narrow here.  And although it may seem to some that there’s no reason to think any dirt exists, it’s a fact Adidas and Johnson are two major and direct ties to the FBI investigation.  Those connections are more than enough reason to do an internal investigation.

I agree with you that IU shouldn’t self-report, no matter how egregious any potential violation may have been.  But if any violations do exist, it would be advantageous for the athletic department to discover those violations, so it’s not caught off guard by any NCAA or FBI allegations.  Burying your head in the sand is never a good idea when it comes to these types of situations.

Agree. I just picked one scenario out of the air as an example. The Adidas connection bothers me no more than a Nike connection would.

Whether shenanigans happened or not, an investigation doesn't undo any potential damage. I very much struggle to see what "advantage" there is in discovering wrongdoing in your program.  Right now, with no investigation, we know that a former IU assistant is potentially involved in wrongdoing at his new school.  You can infer from that fact that he MAY have been involved in wrongdoing while at IU, even though I think most of us recognize that Crean appeared to be respectful of the rules in place and likely shared those values with his staff. So, knowing that it's POSSIBLE but not LIKELY that such violations happened at IU, surely the athletic department can put plans in place for dealing with unlikely contingencies without having to waste time and resources to PERHAPS (but not with absolute certainty) rule them out.

Let's say that with no evidence of wrongdoing, IU conducts an internal investigation and finds nothing.  Can we say with certainty that no violations exist?  Hardly.  On the other hand, let's say that during the investigation, evidence of violations is uncovered.  IU faces two choices...self-report and get hammered for old sins committed by a staff and players that are long gone, or take the North Carolina path and pretend all is well.  What is the "advantage" of knowing you are covering up dirt?  Without such knowledge and an investigation, IU can do exactly what it has already done...meet with the staff and affirm that everyone understands that we play by the rules.  What would we do differently if we knew of violations?

Again, I understand an internal investigation if you believe there are likely problems in your program. You root out any problems and deal with them, letting the staff you don't fire know that such activity will not be tolerated.  If you don't find any problems, everyone concerned breathes a sigh of relief and the program moves forward without the cloud of uncertainty over it.

I guess I feel that in looking at IU vs. other programs currently facing trouble, I don't see much smoke, with the exception of an assistant who is long gone.  In light of that, why buy the trouble?

13 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I guess Slick Rick's lawyer didn't tell him that this the not the NCAA but a court of law, and he won't be able to sell a line of BS in his testimony.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Suing Adidas is idiotic for Pitino. Opens himself up to discovery and a deep investigation into his wrongdoings.

Plus the fact that if he were to attempt to get back into D-1 coaching, he might as well scratch any and all Adidas schools of his list. 

44 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Plus the fact that if he were to attempt to get back into D-1 coaching, he might as well scratch any and all Adidas schools of his list. 

Quick Rick is done and he knows it. NCAA will give him a 10 year or more show cause penalty and no one will even try to touch him. He is just trying to get as much money on his way out the door as he can. 

25 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Is it possible to get kicked out of the Basketball Hall of Fame?  I wonder if he's grasping at anything he can to try to hang on to his individual achievements.

I guess it is.  As earlier this year, a human rights group petitioned the HOF to have Dennis Rodman removed from the hall. 

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Let's slow down guys.  Vitale says we are all rushing to judgment on Pitino.  If he said it, it must be true, right?  

I know Vitale is blind in one eye but how many times does Slick Rick have to get in turmoil before he finally sees  that Rick is the problem.

Here is the link for the article. Sounds like he was dealing with a lot of different people. I worried about the Dayton reference until he said his suits sucked. I don't think you say that in an article if you are afraid of a guy having dirt on you. Here is the link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-rashan-michel-suit-making-middleman-caught-college-hoops-scandal-214744140.html

9 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Here is the link for the article. Sounds like he was dealing with a lot of different people. I worried about the Dayton reference until he said his suits sucked. I don't think you say that in an article if you are afraid of a guy having dirt on you. Here is the link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-rashan-michel-suit-making-middleman-caught-college-hoops-scandal-214744140.html

Thanks for cleaning up my error.

Archived