FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article about the suit guy is hilarious. Every coach he has ties to is a coach and from a school that every regular fan assumes is shady, yet every coach said "I've known him forever, but just bought suits, I don't know about any of that other stuff". I didn't expect them to fess up in an article, but it's just funny to read, especially the old UK/Cal assistant that got fired from UCF for NCAA violations and is now at Illinois. "Guy makes great suits. Illegal activity and recruiting violations? Nope. Don't know anything about that!"

One other thing, it would be AMAZING if this suit guy could somehow rope World Wide Wes into this FBI investigation.

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The article about the suit guy is hilarious. Every coach he has ties to is a coach and from a school that every regular fan assumes is shady, yet every coach said "I've known him forever, but just bought suits, I don't know about any of that other stuff". I didn't expect them to fess up in an article, but it's just funny to read, especially the old UK/Cal assistant that got fired from UCF for NCAA violations and is now at Illinois. "Guy makes great suits. Illegal activity and recruiting violations? Nope. Don't know anything about that!"

One other thing, it would be AMAZING if this suit guy could somehow rope World Wide Wes into this FBI investigation.

Appears Underwood likes those cheating Assistants.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Appears Underwood likes those cheating Assistants.

In just the last few days it sure seems I have seen time periods mentioned which scream out Brad Underwood. Starting with the CBS story which clarifies the subpoena years for Oklahoma State, and now I hear the mention Illinois actually has an assistant coach fired from UCF for NCAA violations. How does Illinois in this environment let this continue? I know you cannot fire the assistant without just cause, but I would be a bit nervous with everything swirling around him. If he did not do anything, he sure knows a lot of people who did, and said nothing to him about it.

This is what gets me though about the investigation, and the "tip of the iceberg" quote. The FBI is really allowing for speculation to hurt a lot of coaches. I know they have a lot of digging to do, but when you make that comment, at the beginning of the Bball season, it has placed an open invitation for speculation.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Saw that one coming. I'd be shocked if Quinerly plays any college basketball period.  The question I have is, does Sean Miller survive?  Doesn't seem to really matter if he knows or not with the fallout he's dealing with.

I got a feeling a lot of them are not gonna be playing CBB.  As far as Sean, I dunno.  I have no idea about 'Zona and how they approach things.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

I got a feeling a lot of them are not gonna be playing CBB.  As far as Sean, I dunno.  I have no idea about 'Zona and how they approach things.  

Looking at their recruiting over the past few years and the fact that they were getting into bidding wars for recruits, it seems pretty clear to me how they approached things.  Unless you were talking about how the administration will approach this issue.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Looking at their recruiting over the past few years and the fact that they were getting into bidding wars for recruits, it seems pretty clear to me how they approached things.  Unless you were talking about how the administration will approach this issue.

Yes, I was talking about the administration.  

Let's not forget .... that it was JIm Boehiem who defended his assistant Bernie Fine and his wife who admitted to having sex with Boeheim's players.  With an assistant like that and his wife.... and after what he said about defending them..... all I am doing is waiting for the other shoe to drop (pun intended) after Boehem's comments about Nike. 

And let's not forget.... that long before Addidas.... it was Nike that was running the shoe store rumor scandal. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Let's not forget .... that it was JIm Boehiem who defended his assistant Bernie Fine and his wife who admitted to having sex with Boeheim's players.  With an assistant like that and his wife.... and after what he said about defending them..... all I am doing is waiting for the other shoe to drop (pun intended) after Boehem's comments about Nike. 

And let's not forget.... that long before Addidas.... it was Nike that was running the shoe store rumor scandal. 

I don't like Calipari and I think he's as crooked as they come, but I like even less the sanctimonious piety of the likes of Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim...coaches who presided over scandal & fraud and then put themselves out as lilly-white moral authorities of college basketball.  Of all the people ensnared in the pay for play scandal, my greatest wish is to see these two clowns exposed and unceremoniously kicked to the curb.

...and yeah, just behind my #1 wish is to see Calipari's crooked basketball factory exposed as well, but at least he's not pretending he's lilly white.  He starts that crap, he goes to the top of the list with "Garsh-Bah-Golly" ol' Roy and Jim "ol' Whiny" Boeheim.  You'll never wonder what I really think of these frauds.

The timing of this scandal may be a major plus for IU.  We have no reason to doubt Archie in any way at this point.  But, with the signals sent out by the FBI, it would be quite a brazen act to flout the rules now.  I could see a Boeheim or Roy type continue because they’ve gotten away with shenanigans in the past and they believe they are above it all.  But, without questioning Archie’s ethical compass in any way, the signal is loud and clear here, and I’d expect him to be clean.  The culture with IU basketball, including with the fan base, is predominantly with pride about winning the right way, with class and dignity.  If you have sham classes disproportionately benefitting athletes, or legit pay for play schemes, or multiple arrests of any variety, there will be hell to pay.  I think we can be confident in Archie in these respects going forward.  Besides, all his assistants are legit.  He doesn’t have the AAU recruiter type of assistant who is a coach only to make “connections” in the underbelly and back halls of AAU hoops.  Our assistants are real coaches.     

I agree with Muddy Water that Nike had to be involved for Adidas to be offering that much money for a player.   I believe I read that it was on one of FBI's tapes that Adidas paid $100,000 to be able to compete with Nike, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.   My fear is that the FBI is going to be happy that they exposed college sports as being corrupt and now will move on to more important government issues around the world.   That means it will be left to the NCAA, which means nothing will happen unless IU turns themselves in again.   

51 minutes ago, Chad B said:

I agree with Muddy Water that Nike had to be involved for Adidas to be offering that much money for a player.   I believe I read that it was on one of FBI's tapes that Adidas paid $100,000 to be able to compete with Nike, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.   My fear is that the FBI is going to be happy that they exposed college sports as being corrupt and now will move on to more important government issues around the world.   That means it will be left to the NCAA, which means nothing will happen unless IU turns themselves in again.   

There was an excerpt from the complaint that suggested Adidas was in a bidding war with another company over a kid, and you did some reading between the lines (as everyone else did) and presumed the competition with Adidas was Nike. It doesn't seem like it could be anything else.

Anyone from a Nike school who opens their mouth like Boeheim is an idiot for feeling safe, but my worst fear is that they actually do end up being just fine. It has been a real dry period of news since the initial indictments.

1 hour ago, Bushmage said:

There was an excerpt from the complaint that suggested Adidas was in a bidding war with another company over a kid, and you did some reading between the lines (as everyone else did) and presumed the competition with Adidas was Nike. It doesn't seem like it could be anything else.

Anyone from a Nike school who opens their mouth like Boeheim is an idiot for feeling safe, but my worst fear is that they actually do end up being just fine. It has been a real dry period of news since the initial indictments.

The Grand Jury is doing their work.  Highly unlikely we will hear much of anything, until they complete their work.

Archived