FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

You are fine.  By definition, you are a booster. However, if you don't make contact with any recruit during a recruiting process, you are ok.  That is why, though I attended many of De'Ron Davis's games, in high school.... I never talked to him. Until after he committed to I.U.  Not that the NCAA would have known. I just did not want to take the chance.  Unlike Yogi's mom who tweeted out a violation.  Which I reported to IU compliance.  And they thanked me for. But, they were already were aware, and had already contacted Yogi's mom to get her to take the tweet down.... and also schooled her (for the second time) what an NCAA violation was. 

This is why I always wear Purdue gear when I have $50 dollar bills in my palm while shaking hands with recruits.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone seems convinced that Pitino has to have known what his assistant was doing in regards to the $100,000.

Likewise, everyone seems to think Bruce Pearl deserves whatever comes his way.

So, are we ready to form the same conclusions with Sean Miller in regards to what Arizona assistant Book Richardson is charged with?

Just now, 5fouls said:

Everyone seems convinced that Pitino has to have known what his assistant was doing in regards to the $100,000.

So, are we ready to form the same conclusions with Sean Miller in regards to what Arizona assistant Book Richardson is charged with?

Yes

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Absolutely. Makes me worry about Archie.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hard for me to think the head coach was clueless, but in Miller's case at least there is no history of unsavory behavior to back this up.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is why I always wear Purdue gear when I have $50 dollar bills in my palm while shaking hands with recruits.

Correct me, if I am wrong. But wasn't it Kent Benson who was seen often, not that many years ago, wearing PU gear at PU games.  People said it was because he was dating a Lafayette girl. And he was vilified by IU fans, who previous to that, were used to seeing him attending IU games.    Maybe, just maybe he was working as a counter agent, after all.   LOL

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  If a coach is worth his salt.... he should be knowing what is going on in his program. Especially, when it comes to recruiting the nation's best 5 stars.  And if he does not know what is going on.... then he is not worth his salt......IMHO.  Brother hood aside.  The rise in AZ recruiting, along with Miami recruiting should be concerning to the avid college bb fan.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Yes.  If a coach is worth his salt.... he should be knowing what is going on in his program. Especially, when it comes to recruiting the nation's best 5 stars.  And if he does not know what is going on.... then he is not worth his salt......IMHO.  Brother hood aside.  The rise in AZ recruiting, along with Miami recruiting should be concerning to the avid college bb fan.

What about the potential rise in Indiana recruiting?

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Like you, the figure I always heard was $150K.  However, there were others suggesting the price tag rose to $200K

Did Kentucky Pay $200,000 For The No. 1 Recruit In America? - SBNation.com

And yes.  Davis's dad threatened to sue Dakich,  as well as others,for spreading the rumor. Back when I was still listening to Dak's show. Dak told Anthony's dad to: "bring it on."

Of course nothing came of the lawsuits.  Probably because the dad was advised he would be required to swear under oath by bringing a law suit. Subjecting him to either perjury, if he lied, or tax evasion, if he told the truth. 

Mile, I think you are confusing Anthony Davis and Trey Lyles.  Dakich had a fued with Trey's family.  However, it's an easy mistake to make since I think they are peas in a pod.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

At this stage in the game, None of those three concern me...yet.

Every college basketball program, from Duke and UK to the likes of Cleveland State and Eastern Washington should be concerned about what's happening.  It's going to seriously harm even the most innocent programs because the falllout from the scandal will do serious damage to the brand of college basketball.

4 minutes ago, iRepIU said:

exactly, KJ was gone before this investigation was started, to our knowledge, and archie was long gone before his brother allegedly had this stuff going on.   

I'm not concerned about Archie being on Sean's staff. I'm worried about Archie being Sean's brother. How many people on this board have "wondered" about Bryce Drew's recruiting because of Scott Drew?

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Mile, I think you are confusing Anthony Davis and Trey Lyles.  Dakich had a fued with Trey's family.  However, it's an easy mistake to make since I think they are peas in a pod.

Muddy. You are correct. It was Lyles. Not Davis.  Brain fart on my part.   My apologies.  And thanks for the correction. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Every college basketball program, from Duke and UK to the likes of Cleveland State and Eastern Washington should be concerned about what's happening.  It's going to seriously harm even the most innocent programs because the falllout from the scandal will do serious damage to the brand of college basketball.

I guess I look at it this way...most people have assumed that recruiting was a dirty game for awhile.  I for one will assume it's a whole lot cleaner going forward.  In the long term, that can only help.

10 minutes ago, iRepIU said:

exactly, KJ was gone before this investigation was started, to our knowledge, and archie was long gone before his brother allegedly had this stuff going on.   

The fact that the investigation started in 2015 does not prevent a whistle-blower from saying something like...."Well, stuff like this has gone on in Arizona from the minute Sean Miller was hired'.  

Hope for the best in regards to IU.  But, don't stick your head in the sand and believe it can't touch us.  Same reason that UK fans should not gloat too much.  The FBI simply has not gotten around to exposing their brand of athletic apparel yet. 

Pete Thamel....."This may be the biggest sports story of our lifetime".

https://sports.yahoo.com/deep-will-recruiting-scandal-go-may-biggest-college-sports-story-lifetime-220742127.html

As a college basketball fan, think about that for a moment.

• Bigger than steroids in baseball
  • Bigger than Lance Armstrong
  • Bigger than Olympic boycotts
  • Bigger than all the various work-stoppages in the major sports
  • Bigger than CTE and football
  • Bigger than Purdue (to be fair, so is everything else on earth)

Archived