FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

Just now, Beowulf50 said:

Alford?? 

Who else would you have hired in 2001?  We had by far the most divided fan base in the country.  This was well before the Pierre Pierce incident and Steve was considered one of the most promising up and coming coaches in the country.  Much like Archie today.  We have no idea how he would've done here.  Name me a better candidate at the time.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Who else would you have hired in 2001?  We had by far the most divided fan base in the country.  This was well before the Pierre Pierce incident and Steve was considered one of the most promising up and coming coaches in the country.  Much like Archie today.  We have no idea how he would've done here.  Name me a better candidate at the time.

Lol! I love what Steve did as a player and love how he was coached. That's all I have to say about that! We are talking history now and what ifs lol!

6 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Lol! I love what Steve did as a player and love how he was coached. That's all I have to say about that! We are talking history now and what ifs lol!

Mile once told a story on here how we almost hired Pitino back then but his asking price was too high for our administration.   Maybe he'll be willing to tell it again.  Thank god our administration was cheap and we never hired a cheater.  Oh wait...

27 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Billy Donovan :coffee:

20 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Mile once told a story on here how we almost hired Pitino back then but his asking price was too high for our administration.   Maybe he'll be willing to tell it again.  Thank god our administration was cheap and we never hired a cheater.  Oh wait...

You talking Samscum? Yeah he cheated there and he cheated here. Awesome job administration! As far as past coaching hires...easy to be Monday morning quarterback after a protest.

29 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here's a random Pitino tidbit I heard today....I was talking to my principal (Yes, I'm a teacher) about this today and he was telling me about going to Pitino's UK basketball camp in high school back in the days of Tony Delk. He said Pitino showed up one night of camp and made the kids watch a 3 hour practice until 11:00 at night, which evidently was within NCAA rules because the kids were there...and literally half falling asleep during it. The way he told it cracked me up! He loves Pitino to this day and is sad he has finally got busted, but he did compare him to a mob boss. Ha. 

12 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Here's a random Pitino tidbit I heard today....I was talking to my principal (Yes, I'm a teacher) about this today and he was telling me about going to Pitino's UK basketball camp in high school back in the days of Tony Delk. He said Pitino showed up one night of camp and made the kids watch a 3 hour practice until 11:00 at night, which evidently was within NCAA rules because the kids were there...and literally half falling asleep during it. The way he told it cracked me up! He loves Pitino to this day and is sad he has finally got busted, but he did compare him to a mob boss. Ha. 

Yeah he new everything that went on in his program....a micro manager I have heard.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

In fact, I was telling that story to my wife just last night.  Here's how it went down. IU had hired a guy to feel out Pitino about the IU gig.  Got in contact with him.  And set up a meeting with Rick, over dinner.  Steak restaurant, not Italian, as memory serves me.  LOL.  Rick was interested, and put out what how much money it would take for him to take the job at IU.  I have no idea how much Rick wanted.  But, the demand was way more than IU considered Rick was worth. Told the runner, no.  And that there would be no counter offer.

Not sure that IU's admin was cheap, as much Rick valued his worth much higher than IU was willing to pay.

And my goodness.... YOU do have a great memory.  Thanks for bringing this up, so I could share with new members !

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I was going to say that I bet his asking price isn't too high these days, but then I remembered his huge arrogant ego and realized that he probably thinks he's worth more because he's been  in the news so much this week. 

Hey all, finally made it over to the new site and it is great, although this seems to be a dark time. This is going to encompass so many schools, and is going to last awhile. I think the view is everyone knew it was illegal, but it was the normal, so they just went along with it, at least most. Does not make it right, but it seems what most coaches are saying without saying it directly.

One thing stands out to me, is more about the system and how even though players were taking money, this has been all designed not only to get kids to a school, but then to get them to the right sports agency, the right investment broker, the right shoe brand. The sneaker brand motto seems to bet on every 5 star kid coming out of school, and if they can get one out of five where they can help guide and control their career, they money to buy a player is chump change. They have looked at it at a future investment. There are only a handful of schools who recruit almost nothing but 5 stars, and none have been named yet. I will be waiting for that day. I now understand more what Crean was saying about recruiting, and not wanting to play the game!

One person asked and I did not hear an answer, can't the coaches not be held responsible for their assistants. After Pitino and the strippers the NCAA change the laws, and hear is the new language in the NCAA bylaws for anyone who was wondering:

" Coach understands that he is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all persons who are directly or indirectly under his supervision or subject to his control or authority, and further that he is responsible for promoting an atmosphere of compliance within the program and monitoring the conduct of those persons under his supervision or subject to his control or authority. Coach further understands and acknowledges that he shall observe and respect the principles of institutional control of every aspect of the men's basketball program with reasonable efforts."

To me this means even if the assistants were running rogue, which I don't believe, and the FBI does not go after a coach, the NCAA due to the change in bylaws after Pitino stripgate and go after all these head coaches. Archie's brother will be looking for a job at some point. I always thought Enfeld turned USC recruiting around too quickly? Each school names so far will be looking for a new coach next year, and so will many others. This has only just begun, in basketball and football.

Glad the new site is open. Thanks to all for getting it up and running!

1 hour ago, Iuprof said:

Hey all, finally made it over to the new site and it is great, although this seems to be a dark time. This is going to encompass so many schools, and is going to last awhile. I think the view is everyone knew it was illegal, but it was the normal, so they just went along with it, at least most. Does not make it right, but it seems what most coaches are saying without saying it directly.

One thing stands out to me, is more about the system and how even though players were taking money, this has been all designed not only to get kids to a school, but then to get them to the right sports agency, the right investment broker, the right shoe brand. The sneaker brand motto seems to bet on every 5 star kid coming out of school, and if they can get one out of five where they can help guide and control their career, they money to buy a player is chump change. They have looked at it at a future investment. There are only a handful of schools who recruit almost nothing but 5 stars, and none have been named yet. I will be waiting for that day. I now understand more what Crean was saying about recruiting, and not wanting to play the game!

One person asked and I did not hear an answer, can't the coaches not be held responsible for their assistants. After Pitino and the strippers the NCAA change the laws, and hear is the new language in the NCAA bylaws for anyone who was wondering:

" Coach understands that he is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all persons who are directly or indirectly under his supervision or subject to his control or authority, and further that he is responsible for promoting an atmosphere of compliance within the program and monitoring the conduct of those persons under his supervision or subject to his control or authority. Coach further understands and acknowledges that he shall observe and respect the principles of institutional control of every aspect of the men's basketball program with reasonable efforts."

To me this means even if the assistants were running rogue, which I don't believe, and the FBI does not go after a coach, the NCAA due to the change in bylaws after Pitino stripgate and go after all these head coaches. Archie's brother will be looking for a job at some point. I always thought Enfeld turned USC recruiting around too quickly? Each school names so far will be looking for a new coach next year, and so will many others. This has only just begun, in basketball and football.

Glad the new site is open. Thanks to all for getting it up and running!

Very good to see you.  And so glad you made it to our new digs.

Hope the school year is going well for you.  And looking forward to many more of your insightful posts.  Always good to have a member who has the pulse of the campus, on board. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If UL had used the $100 grand they spent on Bowen as hush money to Katina Powell instead, things would have worked out a lot better for the Cards.  :coffee: 

I am thinking the $100K came from Adidas.  However your point is well taken.  In that instead of Pitino giving Karen $3,000 for an abortion, he should have had Adidas pay what she was asking for, and he would not have had to admit under oath that he is an adulterer.  And more money spent on Katina, as you say, may have saved "Slick Rick" from being a two time offender, in the eyes of the NCAA. 

Reflecting back to a couple of other repeat offenders, if I may.  When Bruce Pearl recorded conversations with an Illinois recruit who told Bruce that he was getting benefits in terms of a new Chevy Blazer.... the weak NCAA found the charges unfounded, despite the evidence provided.  However, since Illinois was already under probation at the time of the Pearl investigation, the NCAA was able to find violations Illinois was committing while under probation.... and slapped Illinois with an extended probation and additional sanctions.

And then there is the case of SMU.  Who committed seven.... yes seven violations which led to a sting of violations over a short period of years.... which the final violation, while under probation, led to the death penalty.

With the new NCAA rule, that IUprof pointed out, which does away with the plausible deniability defense, "Slick Rick" and UL are on the verge of being labelled a repeat offender.  And based on history, this does not bode well for the University of Louisville, IMHO. 

21 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

I want to be respectful...but I think this article is pure bologna.  If the author actually knew that a recruit had chosen a particular school because of payments to family, shame on the author for not raising it to the NCAA, or even writing about it until now. 

The author writes, "In the end, a tearful player told me [...] he would not be coming to Michigan State.  I later learned that the adult in his life had threatened to do bodily damage to themselves if the player didn't take the school offer of quick money."

So this author, Hondo Carpenter, is telling us that he found out about a school bribing parents...and he's just now talking about it?  Never raised it to the NCAA? Come on man...BS flag has been hoisted.

He could be lying and selling a story.  It could also be that the fear of telling it yesteryear had the consequences of facing the shoe company, the family in the story, the public and more.  The saying goes "fear makes cowards of us all".  Could be with the help of the FBI, he is no longer a coward.

Not saying this is the story I believe, nor am I saying that the story linked is the one I believe.  I do believe all of these narratives will be playing out soon and hopefully, we can focus on the sport and team we love without putting hope in a government agency to take down our rivals.  Even if the FBI doesn't catch everyone involved, it will already be a cleaner game.

7 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

I want to be respectful...but I think this article is pure bologna.  If the author actually knew that a recruit had chosen a particular school because of payments to family, shame on the author for not raising it to the NCAA, or even writing about it until now. 

The author writes, "In the end, a tearful player told me [...] he would not be coming to Michigan State.  I later learned that the adult in his life had threatened to do bodily damage to themselves if the player didn't take the school offer of quick money."

So this author, Hondo Carpenter, is telling us that he found out about a school bribing parents...and he's just now talking about it?  Never raised it to the NCAA? Come on man...BS flag has been hoisted.

I like Izzo. Think for the most part he's good/clean. But didn't he get suspended just a few years ago for illegal payment to father of recruit? Seems like everyone just forgets that one.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I like Izzo. Think for the most part he's good/clean. But didn't he get suspended just a few years ago for illegal payment to father of recruit? Seems like everyone just forgets that one.

Yes  dakichwas blasting a former asst of Izzo.  Brought up that suspension and asked where all the faces of college basketball.   Where are the big time coaches to defend their sport.  He said they are hiding until they know that they are in the clear 

I wonder how much Kansas is being scrutinized?  They've had some shenanigans there, including Cliff Alexander. 

Anytime you see an assistant who is more of a "recruiter" than an actual coach, I'd be concerned.  Those are the guys being profiled.  If you take a look under the hood at Jerrence Howard as an example, he's all about recruiting.  He's not an assistant on the verge of being hired as a head coach. His deal is relationship-building and recruiting.   These are the types of guys who warrant heavy scrutiny. 

Archived