FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

I think the compliance department should be actively looking for loopholes to exploit in the rules. That should be their main job in my opinion.

People in SEC country were furious with Jim Harbaugh bc he did a camp tour across the south and was getting southern players. The SEC whined enough that a rule was made. Harbaugh and UM said ok fine, we are going on spring vacations to Rome, then Paris, and they about to go to South Africa as an entire football team. Boosters paying the bill for everything and it’s all perfectly legal under NCAA rules. That to me is a compliance department helping give coaching a leg up in recruiting but staying within the rules. It’s also nice to have mega boosters who do this on a yearly basis. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I think the compliance department should be actively looking for loopholes to exploit in the rules. That should be their main job in my opinion.

People in SEC country were furious with Jim Harbaugh bc he did a camp tour across the south and was getting southern players. The SEC whined enough that a rule was made. Harbaugh and UM said ok fine, we are going on spring vacations to Rome, then Paris, and they about to go to South Africa as an entire football team. Boosters paying the bill for everything and it’s all perfectly legal under NCAA rules. That to me is a compliance department helping give coaching a leg up in recruiting but staying within the rules. It’s also nice to have mega boosters who do this on a yearly basis. 

The NCAA has said that the Barnstorming tour that IU once did, would be ok..... so long as IU sponsored it.  I would love for the Barnstorming tour to return. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The NCAA has said that the Barnstorming tour that IU once did, would be ok..... so long as IU sponsored it.  I would love for the Barnstorming tour to return. 

Booster: "Here's my donation, which you may use at your discretion." *winkwinknudgenudge*

University: "Barnstorming tour dates to be announced soon!"

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

Also a friend/protege of Izzo, and friends with Cal isn't the best look. 

Neither is being the brother of one of the biggest cheaters going as well as his former assistant, family friend of Cal, and having a former Cal assistant on staff. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Archie is dirty, but we have to be real careful with judging what is a good look and what isn't.  

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Booster: "Here's my donation, which you may use at your discretion." *winkwinknudgenudge*

University: "Barnstorming tour dates to be announced soon!"

The problem with the Barnstorming tour was it was being run by what the NCAA considered to be a booster.  And the timing could not have been worse, in terms of IU dropping it..... in that the spotlight from the NCAA on IU was bright, due to Sampsongate.

Knowing that the NCAA will allow the tour, so long as IU sponsors it.  And enough time IMHO has elapsed since Sampsongate,  I would like to see IU start the barnstorming tour up again.

Another thing I would like to see is having IU's head coach, meet with the students in the Auditorium... just prior to the season beginning.  As was done for years. And once by Coach Crean.

Tom Crean addresses the Student Body at IU Auditorium 

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Neither is being the brother of one of the biggest cheaters going as well as his former assistant, family friend of Cal, and having a former Cal assistant on staff. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Archie is dirty, but we have to be real careful with judging what is a good look and what isn't.  

I thought of those things before posting, but I wasn't posting about Archie I was posting about Crean and adding to things the previous poster said didn't look good about him. I think everyone in the game is dirty, either themselves or by association. Even if Crean and/or Archie were 100% clean, they can't stop adidas from paying players or their families to go to an adidas school.

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

This kind of where I'm beginning to land with IU basketball. While coaching has been an issue at time the last 20+ years, the real issue holding the program back seems to be the administration. Compliance and the admin should be working with the staff to navigate and take the fullest advantage of the rules as they can without breaking them. The compliance department should be there to help you not get caught, not seeking out to catch you. 

I wonder if these are some of the issues that Crean meant when he said he didn't have the support of the administration. It sounds like it's still an issue. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

This kind of where I'm beginning to land with IU basketball. While coaching has been an issue at time the last 20+ years, the real issue holding the program back seems to be the administration. Compliance and the admin should be working with the staff to navigate and take the fullest advantage of the rules as they can without breaking them. The compliance department should be there to help you not get caught, not seeking out to catch you. 

I wonder if these are some of the issues that Crean meant when he said he didn't have the support of the administration. It sounds like it's still an issue. 

Good post. Not saying your others aren't as well.  However, this one give one cause to think. Oh... to be a fly on the wall in the AD's office. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I hope this kind of garbage ("gotcha" compliance staff) is in the ears of the trustees.  I understand this is an institution of higher learning first, but I don't see how hamstringing your coaching staff is at all helpful to a school's academics.  I used to work in a compliance department (not athletics) and one thing we learned early on was finding a way to say yes, rather than just saying no all the time.  You can stay legal and compliant without always taking the role of the adversary.  Sounds like IU's compliance department is too busy trying to justify their existence rather than being part of the solution.

Always a way around rules....just how far we want them bent. For example. Let's say I bumped into 2 players and 2 of their friends at Nick's. As a proud alumni and fan I walk up and offer to buy dinner/drinks,etc....but the players say they can't. Is it illegal if I give $ to their friends and say do what you want with that...wink wink. 

FKIMO1-Great point in last post. I feel like compliance departments and those types of folks always try to justify how important they are instead of how can we help IU get better. 

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Always a way around rules....just how far we want them bent. For example. Let's say I bumped into 2 players and 2 of their friends at Nick's. As a proud alumni and fan I walk up and offer to buy dinner/drinks,etc....but the players say they can't. Is it illegal if I give $ to their friends and say do what you want with that...wink wink. 

FKIMO1-Great point in last post. I feel like compliance departments and those types of folks always try to justify how important they are instead of how can we help IU get better. 

Just don't let Scott know!!!!!  LOL

20 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Really not sure how Will Wade still has a job. Click on this more in thread.

Because they all deny any knowledge of the shenanigans and the NCAA shifts focus to a water polo player at Central Desert State receiving an extra cookie at dinner.  Nothing will come of any of this.  See Kansas....they are basically daring the NCAA to investigate them by resigning a huge deal with Adidas...disgusting

Here's the thing for me. Cheating in College Sports has been going on for decades. Since Sam Gilbert with John Wooden in 60's/70's to whatever UK was doing in the 70's/80's to Fab 5 in 90's with Michigan,etc....but the openness of these conversations, with proof....and the NCAA is still not hammering down the programs. Love college hoops more than any other sport but boy....if the NCAA doesn't start knocking down these programs or coaches why bother? I mean if I'm getting pocket Aces every time in holdem I'm going to win too. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's the thing for me. Cheating in College Sports has been going on for decades. Since Sam Gilbert with John Wooden in 60's/70's to whatever UK was doing in the 70's/80's to Fab 5 in 90's with Michigan,etc....but the openness of these conversations, with proof....and the NCAA is still not hammering down the programs. Love college hoops more than any other sport but boy....if the NCAA doesn't start knocking down these programs or coaches why bother? I mean if I'm getting pocket Aces every time in holdem I'm going to win too. 

You are correct.  Cheating in College Sports has been going on for decades.  Long before Sampsongate... there was Phil Dickens... coach of the Hoosiers Football team in 1957.  Who created IU's first NCAA probation.... for giving players $50 per month.... and paying for their travel round trip from Bloomington to their home towns. 

Dicken's defense when brought up to the charges by the NCAA ?  "I was not doing anything other than Michigan and Ohio State were doing".  "I was just following their lead, in order to try to stay competitive"

Of course, IU got nailed with their first ever NCAA probation.... while Michigan and Ohio State never got investigated.

Archived