FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

"Yep, that's right...look right over there....you'll find it...." - John Calipari

Sounds about as bad as it could be.

however it is Book Richardson telling Dawkins what he says Miller did — not that I don’t believe it at this point — but that’s hearsay and it’s, well, Richardson. Would imagine Sean will continue to deny unless / until they get a recording of him

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure seems that what is keeping this from being an open and shut case is the lack of proof.  I know a pretty easy way to get around it - the players and their families should be audited.  They'll start singing like birds when they realize they're going to jail instead of the NBA.

Despite what my username may indicate, I'm not a tax accountant, so unsure of the laws surrounding this.  I do know that's how Capone finally got busted when they couldn't find hard evidence, so I would think the same would apply here.

3 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

It sure seems that what is keeping this from being an open and shut case is the lack of proof.  I know a pretty easy way to get around it - the players and their families should be audited.  They'll start singing like birds when they realize they're going to jail instead of the NBA.

Despite what my username may indicate, I'm not a tax accountant, so unsure of the laws surrounding this.  I do know that's how Capone finally got busted when they couldn't find hard evidence, so I would think the same would apply here.

Follow the money.....

17 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

I do know that's how Capone finally got busted when they couldn't find hard evidence, so I would think the same would apply here.

2zz0o7.jpg

You can fool the SEC, ATF, whoever else.  You don't $%^& with the IRS. 

While I would love for these cheaters to be taken down, the problem is the IRS is severely under-staffed at this time and would likely put this type of thing way down the to-do list. Maybe if the FBI requested it, but it seems the FBI is content with taking down who they are currently after. Miller and Wade didn't even have to testify, so it seems they aren't in too much danger (yet).

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://apple.news/ArykUygIbTbGFkGyIoc_ZHg

Long article, but worth the time to read.

Explains why it’s not an open and shut case regarding either Sean Miller or Wade. Universities have to have iron clad evidence to fire a coach for fear that the coach will lawyer up and sue the school.

Not as simple as we , as outsiders, would like to see.

Been saying some of the same this whole trial. Good article. This cut/paste part I believe is very, very important. To us it should seem pretty cut and dry he should be gone. Cut and dry and firing someone when millions is on the line isn't always black and white. 

Arizona will also weigh the circumstances of the recording. Neither Dawkins nor Richardson was speaking under oath. It’s also possible that the two men were trying to impress one another. Perhaps they lied or exaggerated as a result. Each had an incentive to portray himself as influential and close to Miller. Sometimes that type of situation can lead one to engage in hyperbole and puffery.

What I don’t understand is how recruits are still flocking to these schools, knowing that there’s a solid chance that the NCAA will throw sanctions on those schools. Perhaps they(the schools) don’t care and are still forking over money anyway? 

19 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

What I don’t understand is how recruits are still flocking to these schools, knowing that there’s a solid chance that the NCAA will throw sanctions on those schools. Perhaps they(the schools) don’t care and are still forking over money anyway? 

If I was a recruit who was really interested in one of those schools, I wouldn’t rule them out until the NCAA actually shows some stones and hits someone hard with sanctions.  

Personally, I’m in complete “I’ll believe it when I see it mode” with that happening. 

35 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If I was a recruit who was really interested in one of those schools, I wouldn’t rule them out until the NCAA actually shows some stones and hits someone hard with sanctions.  

Personally, I’m in complete “I’ll believe it when I see it mode” with that happening. 

That is the mentality. In the eye of the recruit there is no such thing as bad publicity. Look how much exposure these teams get already and will continue to. Most are not in college to win a championship its a transition to the next level. In all honesty what do the recruits have to lose? If you get a post season ban and you are a 1 and done the tournament is one less thing to worry about. The coaches at these schools are arrogant enough to say until they do something about it I will continue to bring in the best

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is the mentality. In the eye of the recruit there is no such thing as bad publicity. Look how much exposure these teams get already and will continue to. Most are not in college to win a championship its a transition to the next level. In all honesty what do the recruits have to lose? If you get a post season ban and you are a 1 and done the tournament is one less thing to worry about. The coaches at these schools are arrogant enough to say until they do something about it I will continue to bring in the best

I say the number of players you are describing is probably around 25 kids a year that is only worried about the NBA and not their college team  The sure fire one and done players really don't care what the program is going through because they know they will be gone before anything hits.  If I was not a sure fire one and done player then I would look closely at the type of program I am looking at.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I say the number of players you are describing is probably around 25 kids a year that is only worried about the NBA and not their college team  The sure fire one and done players really don't care what the program is going through because they know they will be gone before anything hits.  If I was not a sure fire one and done player then I would look closely at the type of program I am looking at.

Even if you are not a OAD but go to one of the NBA factories you will get looks. The schools involved with this cheating are getting 10X the publicity as we are. Even if there is a chance the hammer could fall down the road for many of these kids its worth the risk.  If Penny lands this monster class they will become an ESPN darling with a great story. The 7th and 8th men on that team will get plenty of exposure. Most 4 star players and above probably have goals of playing professionally so why not go the the programs that give you the best chance to do so. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Even if you are not a OAD but go to one of the NBA factories you will get looks. The schools involved with this cheating are getting 10X the publicity as we are. Even if there is a chance the hammer could fall down the road for many of these kids its worth the risk.  If Penny lands this monster class they will become an ESPN darling with a great story. The 7th and 8th men on that team will get plenty of exposure. Most 4 star players and above probably have goals of playing professionally so why not go the the programs that give you the best chance to do so. 

Only one way for the NCAA to combat this: Go SMU on them.  Media ban.  Hit 'em where it hurts.

• 3 weeks later...

This whole thing provides an excellent roadmap for schools on how to cheat and not to get caught. Even when they get caught red handed, there's a clear path how to get out of the trouble. 

NCAA is nothing but a party planner. They plan the March Madness every year for handsome fee. 

^^^ Wait. Wait.  After going 5-27, a HC gets placed on admin suspension ?  For recruiting violations ?  He should be fired on two counts, not placed on paid leave.  For being bad at recruiting. And finishing 5-27.

I know they have turmoil there.  But someone has got to be in charge to do what needs to be done. 

Archived