2019 Class and Rankings

• 2 weeks later...

I think they do some of the rankings by total number of points assigned to each player.  Fair enough in the sense that a high number of players indicates good accumulation of players that another school may not have.  

I do like to look at the average value.  IU has a pretty solid average value.  If anything, it’s brought down by the long snapper, who is supposedly really good and that’s an important role, but his ranking value is low.  

Most of IU’s guys have really solid rankings.  

On 6/20/2018 at 4:50 PM, IU Scott said:

Hard to believe that we seem to be getting a lot of good recruits and it is still just good enough for 9th in the big ten.  Just shows you how tough this conference is that you can be 9th in the conference bit be 29th in the country.

I think the recruiting services have started propping up kids rankings or at the very least getting out to see more kids and actually evaluating them. If you look at our national ranking it hasn't really improved over the last 6 classes. We went from ranked 42nd in the nation in 2013 and saw a slight and gradual decline in the mid-high 50's and now are back down in the low 40's again. Being able to secure guys like Bell and Williams could propel this class into the top 25 and would also put us in the top half of the BigTen. We need to close out this class strong and make strides for the next class because Purdue is starting to make a name for themselves on the recruiting trail. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I think the recruiting services have started propping up kids rankings or at the very least getting out to see more kids and actually evaluating them. If you look at our national ranking it hasn't really improved over the last 6 classes. We went from ranked 42nd in the nation in 2013 and saw a slight and gradual decline in the mid-high 50's and now are back down in the low 40's again. Being able to secure guys like Bell and Williams could propel this class into the top 25 and would also put us in the top half of the BigTen. We need to close out this class strong and make strides for the next class because Purdue is starting to make a name for themselves on the recruiting trail. 

agree that would be a really good class for you guys. We are after both Williams and Bell and if we land guys like JJ Weaver, Wandale Robinson, and Isaiah Gibson, I think we’d be on the verge of a top 25 class too. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

agree that would be a really good class for you guys. We are after both Williams and Bell and if we land guys like JJ Weaver, Wandale Robinson, and Isaiah Gibson, I think we’d be on the verge of a top 25 class too. 

You’ve got 19 committments thus far. Do you know how many scholarships are available? Technically you’ve already got a top 20 class without any of the guys you mentioned but that will be predicated on not losing Karlaftis to a flip which I know Harbaugh is doing everything in his power to make happen. 

27 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You’ve got 19 committments thus far. Do you know how many scholarships are available? Technically you’ve already got a top 20 class without any of the guys you mentioned but that will be predicated on not losing Karlaftis to a flip which I know Harbaugh is doing everything in his power to make happen. 

Probably in the 25-27 range and some of the current commitments might not stick (had 3 decommitments last year) either. My guess is probably 6-8 more guys.

As far as Karlaftis, the only way he leaves is if Brohm isn’t at Purdue next year. Believe he’s said those exact words. Harbaugh can keep trying but it will only matter if Brohm doesn’t stay. 

After National Signing Day, Indiana finishes the 2019 cycle with the highest ranked recruiting class in program history.

The Hoosiers finish with the 38th ranked class nationally, and 8th ranked class in the B1G with a total of 21 commits.

Three members of the class are considered 4-stars by 247Sports and four members of the class are considered 4-stars by Rivals.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:35 AM, Bob said:

I wonder if you could count The transfer Qb if he would raise our ranking. Also how much does the long snapper hurt our ranking? In the end what happens on the field is all that matters! 

Of course adding Jack Tuttle (the transfer QB) would certainly improve the ranking.

From what I understand, you are never truly penalized for adding a new player, so I believe at a minimum the long snapper didn't change the overall score. The only situation where it could hurt a team is the opportunity cost of bringing on someone else, but since IU left scholarships on the table for 2019 that's not an issue.

Archived