Where are they Now -- Bracey Wright

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

What do you think about the Bracey Wright / JBJ comparison?  They certainly feel similar in some regards.

In terms of selfishness.... I don't feel JBJ compares to Bracey.  In terms of shooting despite the trajectory, I would rate Bracey ahead of JBJ.   Of course my personal opinions. Anyone and everyone is free to disagree. 

Perfect example of how a deep run in tourney can impact draft status in my opinion. Much like Sam Dekker a couple years ago...going to the Final 4 can open up scouts eyes. Regarding the ranking coming out of high school. I'll say the same thing I always do. Perea was once a 5 star. So was Hartman at one point. After about the top 10-15 spots...20-150 are up for grabs in my opinion and don't mean much.

Bracey (as the article Mile linked) had to shoot 20x a game regardless...as his coach instructed him to do. Probably made him appear a certain way as a player/person when he wasn't that way at all.

I think there is a huge chasm between Bracey and James.  Bracey was, quite simply, a loser.  

Bracey thought he was a great shooter, but wasn’t.  I remember his 1-27 stretch from 3 on the road.  He is kind of like the girl who thinks she’s hot but isn’t or the person who thinks he’s smart but isn’t.  

Bracey played losing basketball and with the wrong attitude.  Hated those years of IU basketball.  Entitled guy who didn’t improve as a player because he had all the answers.  

Its rare that I dislike an IU player, but he’s the poster child.  I’d rather erase him and his years from my memory bank.  

He’s a poster child for not going overboard with rankings.   The number 80 ranked guy with a motor who understands the game will kick McD AA Wright every game.   We’ve seen this concept forever.  Motor, smart, and good attitude are crucial.  I want a roster with a sprinkling of smart vets for leadership and high upside five stars with good attitudes and then weed out the Braceys.  

Mike Davis, bless his heart, brought in guys like Wright and Marshall Strickland because they were ranked high and anointed, yet didn’t do enough for Harangody, Matt Howard, or Dominic James.  Winners.  Davis, at least at that stage, did not have the ability for high level strategies but somehow was handed the reigns to IU hoops.   This blight in our recent past is all correctable, so fans who dismiss us because of past results  don’t get how self-inflicted this stuff has been.  

It’s not about the ranking, it’s about building a program for the long haul with complementary players.  

51 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think there is a huge chasm between Bracey and James.  Bracey was, quite simply, a loser.  

Bracey thought he was a great shooter, but wasn’t.  I remember his 1-27 stretch from 3 on the road.  He is kind of like the girl who thinks she’s hot but isn’t or the person who thinks he’s smart but isn’t.  

Bracey played losing basketball and with the wrong attitude.  Hated those years of IU basketball.  Entitled guy who didn’t improve as a player because he had all the answers.  

Its rare that I dislike an IU player, but he’s the poster child.  I’d rather erase him and his years from my memory bank.  

He’s a poster child for not going overboard with rankings.   The number 80 ranked guy with a motor who understands the game will kick McD AA Wright every game.   We’ve seen this concept forever.  Motor, smart, and good attitude are crucial.  I want a roster with a sprinkling of smart vets for leadership and high upside five stars with good attitudes and then weed out the Braceys.  

Mike Davis, bless his heart, brought in guys like Wright and Marshall Strickland because they were ranked high and anointed, yet didn’t do enough for Harangody, Matt Howard, or Dominic James.  Winners.  Davis, at least at that stage, did not have the ability for high level strategies but somehow was handed the reigns to IU hoops.   This blight in our recent past is all correctable, so fans who dismiss us because of past results  don’t get how self-inflicted this stuff has been.  

It’s not about the ranking, it’s about building a program for the long haul with complementary players.  

You have really hit the nail on the head.  I could not have expressed myself as well as you have here.  And for fear of backlash in term of Bracey.  Agree. Hard to cast shade on many former IU players. 

And you bring up Harangody.  His whole family for ages, attended IU.  I have talked about it before.  So no need to go into it again.  Except to say, that is one that still sticks in my craw. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on IUBB twitter that it is Bracey’s birthday. Happy birthday to Bracey - and for some reason on ESPN classic they were replaying the 2002 McDonald’s All American events. I tuned in just in time to see the 3 point Final round where Bracey lost by  1 point to JJ  Redick - regardless it was still interesting and fun to watch.

Archived