Crossroads Classic could be improved

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Now that the Big Ten has 20 conference games, you are likely to see the B1G programs be even more prudent and tactful when it comes to scheduling in the non-conference. 

As you are now only given 11 chances, I would put the odds at IU using 2-3 games to play mid-majors (and even Purdue) at a neutral site at 0%. 

That was my first thought after reading this. Its keep it the same or do away with it, which is the option I vote for. We can play ND every year, Butler with this new coach will slide down and disappear.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Now that the Big Ten has 20 conference games, you are likely to see the B1G programs be even more prudent and tactful when it comes to scheduling in the non-conference. 

As you are now only given 11 chances, I would put the odds at IU using 2-3 games to play mid-majors (and even Purdue) at a neutral site at 0%. 

This. And we need to beef up the schedule, not water it down the way FCTC did.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

That was my first thought after reading this. Its keep it the same or do away with it, which is the option I vote for. We can play ND every year, Butler with this new coach will slide down and disappear.

Butler is a Big East school now.  Nothing wrong with playing them.

Snowling , you are on top of things ! I've secretly wanted to see an early season tournament each season with just Indiana D1 schools playing in IT ! This would be very interesting to fans of State schools in Indiana ,imho ! All games to be played at the home of the Indiana Pacers ! That pace would be rocking !!!!

I have nothing against the Crossroads Classic when the other two teams are ranked, which they usually are.  However, to HAVE to play in this INSTEAD of scheduling, KY, KS, UCLA or any other true stud team not in the ACC or Big East, which I believe we will have tournaments against going forward, is probably not such a great trade off.

23 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I have nothing against the Crossroads Classic when the other two teams are ranked, which they usually are.  However, to HAVE to play in this INSTEAD of scheduling, KY, KS, UCLA or any other true stud team not in the ACC or Big East, which I believe we will have tournaments against going forward, is probably not such a great trade off.

You make some very good arguments for not expanding the CC.  Personally, as much as I would like to have an expansion of Indiana schools in this tournament, I have to agree with you. Especially with the expansion of the Big Ten regular season schedule, and recalling the Knight years, when IU would open with the dominate team in the nation....UCLA.

In order to gain traction again, in the minds of basketball fans across this great nation of ours.... IU needs to play the teams you have listed, including Duke... rather than some of the other teams in Indiana.  PU and ND excepted.  Sorry, about that team that plays in the great Hinkle field house.  One or two great coaches don't make a tradition... even if you made it to two NCAA finals. 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:52 PM, snowling said:

As others have said and I'll echo. Limited number of preseason games available....I'm not in favor of expanding. Honestly if it meant we could add a bigger national name opponent....I say we dump it all together and let Butler, Purdue and Notre Dame try to fill half the arena.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As others have said and I'll echo. Limited number of preseason games available....I'm not in favor of expanding. Honestly if it meant we could add a bigger national name opponent....I say we dump it all together and let Butler, Purdue and Notre Dame try to fill half the arena.

As I stated above.  With the expansion of the regular season Big Ten schedule, there remains a limited amount of RELEVANT non conference games to be played. All the while, attempting to re-establish a national presence.  As much as I hate to say it. I have to agree with you that it is time for IU to disengage from the CC.... and let the CC run it's course without IU.  It's not like there are not enough Indiana teams to keep that tournament viable without IU being a part of it. 

It's time that IU puts itself on the national stage... once again.  Like before, and where IU belongs. 

I'll add one more thing. To me the CC is really a no win situation. We win. People say it's a home game. Supposed to do it,etc....and if we lose heaven forbid. If we could replace that December weekend with a home and home vs Arizona or Kansas or even UCLA. Take that all day long. CC has run it's course. 

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You make some very good arguments for not expanding the CC.  Personally, as much as I would like to have an expansion of Indiana schools in this tournament, I have to agree with you. Especially with the expansion of the Big Ten regular season schedule, and recalling the Knight years, when IU would open with the dominate team in the nation....UCLA.

In order to gain traction again, in the minds of basketball fans across this great nation of ours.... IU needs to play the teams you have listed, including Duke... rather than some of the other teams in Indiana.  PU and ND excepted.  Sorry, about that team that plays in the great Hinkle field house.  One or two great coaches don't make a tradition... even if you made it to two NCAA finals. 

Butler's problem has been is that Collier likes to promote the coaching job in house and really the only one who was really able to anything with that team other than Stevens the last few years was Holtmann who is now at OSU. I was not all that impressed with Butler or Jordan for that matter the only reason he's there is because he is an alumni and a former player but yet has only been a coach at one other program and he didn't do well at Milwaukee. 

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

Butler's problem has been is that Collier likes to promote the coaching job in house and really the only one who was really able to anything with that team other than Stevens the last few years was Holtmann who is now at OSU. I was not all that impressed with Butler or Jordan for that matter the only reason he's there is because he is an alumni and a former player but yet has only been a coach at one other program and he didn't do well at Milwaukee. 

Holtmann is not a "Butler guy", he was at the right place, at the right time.

7 hours ago, Coach1K said:

Always good to hear from you C1K.  And knowing how close you have been to the Bulldog's program over the years, makes your post all that more meaningful.

Best wishes for a happy summer !

5 hours ago, rico said:

Holtmann is not a "Butler guy", he was at the right place, at the right time.

Holtmann I believe was an assistant for Butler for a period of time before being getting the job and that was for a coach that wasn't around long and I've heard some interesting rumors on that.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Always good to hear from you C1K.  And knowing how close you have been to the Bulldog's program over the years, makes your post all that more meaningful.

Best wishes for a happy summer !

Oh I'm just peachy. 

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Get rid of the crossroads classic. It’s a low win, high lose showcase that blocks matchups with bigger teams in marquee events. 

I wish the schedule makers would get rid of all the cupcakes and still be able to schedule the CC AND blue bloods before the conference season.  I would like Indiana collegiate basketball to be a showcase and have IU dominate it.  As long as cupcakes continue to shell out the $$$ to play at IU, I do not see them being removed from the schedule.

15 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I wish the schedule makers would get rid of all the cupcakes and still be able to schedule the CC AND blue bloods before the conference season.  I would like Indiana collegiate basketball to be a showcase and have IU dominate it.  As long as cupcakes continue to shell out the $$$ to play at IU, I do not see them being removed from the schedule.

Seems like an unnecessary gauntlet to go through so early in the season. Schedule multiple/high profile games early? Yes. Remove all easy/should win games from the schedule altogether? Seems like a recipe for a potential meltdown in certain years.  Look no further than Izzo a couple years back...a known scheduler for tough games early admitted he made a mistake with his kids by scheduling too many difficult games. Remember, life in the BIG is no cakewalk either so we need a breather here and there.

Those couple cupcakes right after we got embarrassed by Evansville in the season opener were probably huge confidence boosters...I shudder to think how the season could have just slipped right away if the losses piled up that quickly. 

8 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Seems like an unnecessary gauntlet to go through so early in the season. Schedule multiple/high profile games early? Yes. Remove all easy/should win games from the schedule altogether? Seems like a recipe for a potential meltdown in certain years.  Look no further than Izzo a couple years back...a known scheduler for tough games early admitted he made a mistake with his kids by scheduling too many difficult games. Remember, life in the BIG is no cakewalk either so we need a breather here and there.

Those couple cupcakes right after we got embarrassed by Evansville in the season opener were probably huge confidence boosters...I shudder to think how the season could have just slipped right away if the losses piled up that quickly. 

You are absolutely right.  My post is just wishful thinking in that we have a #1 sos AND dominate it.  Possible?  Sure.  Likely?  Maybe.  I am with you as I would rather have a few of those 'easy' games and have the team achieve a record of 25-9 and get a 5 seed than to go 20 and 14 and be on the bubble ( for the NIT ) as those cupcakes do provide substance beyond a W.

11 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

@PoHoosier

Valid posts by all three of us I think. I guess that goes to show how thin (or strong?) the arguments are for each side. 

I could cherry pick and argue for all three (stay, leave, stay+add tough comp). 

My biased opinion says replace but like I said..

11 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

We have always played cupcakes and you need to play some to get some wins.  What we don't need is to play 300+ ranked teams but should play some descent mid major teams.

i'd love to see this event expand to all 10 D1 teams and play out as follows:

Turn it into a divided tournament.  Have Indiana on one side and Purdue on the other.  That way the two teams do not play each other (since we have the protected rivalry in the B10 now).  Then alternate Butler and Notre Dame each year in the two brackets.  Finally, by random draw or some determining factor, split and rank the remaining 6 teams into each division yearly.  You will then have 1 play-in game hosted by either IU or Purdue depending on the bracket, with the winner of the game playing either IU or Purdue at IU or Purdue in the "First Round".  The third ranked team in each division will play either Butler or Notre Dame at either Butler or Notre Dame in the "First Round".  The two winners in the first round in each bracket will then square off at Bankers Life Fieldhouse for the division championship.  As an alternate on venue, the play-in game could be played at one of the two teams home arena and then round 1 and 2 both played either at IU/Purdue or at BLF and then the championship game at BLF.  (The idea of having the home games for the 4 biggest name teams would be incentive with revenue dollars at their home arenas.)  

Example:

Indiana Bracket

1. Indiana 
  2. Butler/Notre Dame (Alternating Years)
  3. Indiana State
  4. Evansville
  5. IUPUI
  • Game 1  (Play in Game)
    • 4. Evansville vs IUPUI (@ Indiana)
  • Game 2 (Round 1)
    • 1. IU vs Winner of Game 1 (@ Indiana)
  • Game 3 (Round 1)
    • 2. Butler vs 3. Indiana State (@Butler)
  • Game 4 (Championship @ BLF)
    • Winner Game 2 vs Winner Game 3

Purdue Bracket

1. Purdue
  2. Notre Dame/Butler (Alternating)
  3. Ball State
  4. Valpo
  5. Fort Wayne
  • Game 1  (Play in Game)
    • 4. Valpo vs 5. Fort Wayne (@ W. Lafayette)
  • Game 2 (Round 1)
    • 1. Purdue vs Winner of Game 1 (@ W. Lafayette)
  • Game 3 (Round 1)
    • 2. Notre Dame vs 3. Ball State (@ Notre Dame)
  • Game 4 (Championship @ BLF)
    • Winner Game 2 vs Winner Game 3

Archived