Phil Cox, 1972 Indiana Mr. Basketball

Phil Cox, 1972 Indiana Mr. Basketball, Indiana All-Star and a member of the 1972 Connersville State Championship team passed away earlier this week. Mr. Cox has been active in Kokomo area basketball for many years and was respected by many for his mentoring and coaching abilities. During his playing days at Connersville he sang the national anthem before many games, in particular the state championship game.

A story was in the Indianapolis Star earlier this week  for those that are interested. If this has already been posted, please feel free to delete. 

Condolences to the Cox family and his many friends.

Sorry for his family's loss ! The biggest thing I remember about that State Championship game is that Gary West was called for 37 fouls to only 7 called on Connersville ! Really sucked , imho ! I recently went to the funeral of the best basketball player to ever play for the Seymour , Indiana , Owls , Danny Thomas ,Sr . I Never get over the sadness at a funeral !

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Sorry for his family's loss ! The biggest thing I remember about that State Championship game is that Gary West was called for 37 fouls to only 7 called on Connersville ! Really sucked , imho !

Having grown up in Gary.... and following teams going all the way back to the mid 1950's.... it was not unusual for teams from Gary that made it past the sectionals to have an inordinate number of fouls called upon them.  Just a comment, on my part. 

Archived