pe e yew adds 6'6" forward Kyle King

Thanks HTD.  Out of curiosity, and because of your thread, I decided to check on Illinois' targets.  36 listed in all.  And of the 36.... only three are from Illinois.  So, it is not surprising that an Illinois kid chose PU.   Underwood, is doing zip, locking up the state of Illinois, or the city of Chicago...... unlike Archie has been true to his pledge to lock up the state of Indiana.  One has to believe there are more than just three top notch talents in Illinois. 

Causes me to wonder if there is a relationship problem with the Illinois HS coaches and Underwood, similar to what was purported to be the case with Tom Crean.  Also, so many of the kids that Underwood first recruited leaving the team may be an issue as well. 

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he's only a preferred walk-on. No scholarship used.

Correct. And for that you get today's coveted milehiiu : "Well, done ! "   LOL

King.... kind of a legacy. 

Purdue Basketball Roster Moves: Kyle King Added as Walk-on

And related to my above post about Illinois targets. Let it be known, currently IU has 29 targets listed. Of which 10 are from the state of Indiana.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks HTD.  Out of curiosity, and because of your thread, I decided to check on Illinois' targets.  36 listed in all.  And of the 36.... only three are from Illinois.  So, it is not surprising that an Illinois kid chose PU.   Underwood, is doing zip, locking up the state of Illinois, or the city of Chicago...... unlike Archie has been true to his pledge to lock up the state of Indiana.  One has to believe there are more than just three top notch talents in Illinois. 

Causes me to wonder if there is a relationship problem with the Illinois HS coaches and Underwood, similar to what was purported to be the case with Tom Crean.  Also, so many of the kids that Underwood first recruited leaving the team may be an issue as well. 

Don't quote me on this. And there are certainly others with deeper ties to Illinois on here. But one friend who is as dialed into Illinois (where I get most of scoop) says the move that forced Taylon Horton-Tucker (THT) to go to Iowa St instead of Illinois because the AAU Team (Mac Irvin) was ticked THT left the year before to play for another AAU team isn't sitting well among many coaches in the state. Mac basically told Underwood you have THT on the team....no Ayo Dosunmu for you. 

Some coaches have said Underwood won't see a player from them, who runs the program, no trust, etc....plus now you have from the other side of the state (Mark Smith) who as Mr. Illinois bailed on that circus in 1 year and left for Missouri.

Needless to say. Maybe BU can flip things. But in year 1 he's done more harm than  good. He also used up all of his official visits I believe until August. Recruits have to pay their own way.

57 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Correct. And for that you get today's coveted milehiiu : "Well, done ! "   LOL

King.... kind of a legacy. 

Purdue Basketball Roster Moves: Kyle King Added as Walk-on

And related to my above post about Illinois targets. Let it be known, currently IU has 29 targets listed. Of which 10 are from the state of Indiana.

It's striking that Illinois is targeting very few in-state prospects.  It of course begs the question...is Illinois down on talent this year?  Would be interesting to know how many Illinois vs Indiana kids are in the top 150 typically.  Illinois has more population, but from what I can see, Indiana may typically have more basketball talent.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't quote me on this. And there are certainly others with deeper ties to Illinois on here. But one friend who is as dialed into Illinois (where I get most of scoop) says the move that forced Taylon Horton-Tucker (THT) to go to Iowa St instead of Illinois because the AAU Team (Mac Irvin) was ticked THT left the year before to play for another AAU team isn't sitting well among many coaches in the state. Mac basically told Underwood you have THT on the team....no Ayo Dosunmu for you. 

Some coaches have said Underwood won't see a player from them, who runs the program, no trust, etc....plus now you have from the other side of the state (Mark Smith) who as Mr. Illinois bailed on that circus in 1 year and left for Missouri.

Needless to say. Maybe BU can flip things. But in year 1 he's done more harm than  good. He also used up all of his official visits I believe until August. Recruits have to pay their own way.

I've said before I am very much unimpressed with Underwood.  Yeah, it's early, but so far, he's been a trainwreck at UI.  I think the hire was hasty based on a short track record and now they are paying the price.  I'll be glad to eat my words if I'm wrong, but the early returns are not promising.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've said before I am very much unimpressed with Underwood.  Yeah, it's early, but so far, he's been a trainwreck at UI.  I think the hire was hasty based on a short track record and now they are paying the price.  I'll be glad to eat my words if I'm wrong, but the early returns are not promising.

Zero buzz. Shoot even Groce had the idiots convinced he was going to be ok. Barring the bagman makes an appearance...I don't see the Illini around for awhile. I always thought they should have hired Collins. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

It's striking that Illinois is targeting very few in-state prospects.  It of course begs the question...is Illinois down on talent this year?  Would be interesting to know how many Illinois vs Indiana kids are in the top 150 typically.  Illinois has more population, but from what I can see, Indiana may typically have more basketball talent.

Quick glance at the newest ESPN 100 shows 4 top 100 players from Illinois, 2 of which have committed out of state,Oregon and Kansas.  Indiana has 2 top 100 in TJD and Brooks.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

12 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Quick glance at the newest ESPN 100 shows 4 top 100 players from Illinois, 2 of which have committed out of state,Oregon and Kansas.  Indiana has 2 top 100 in TJD and Brooks.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

I was thinking more about the top 150 I guess...seems like Indiana had a lot of players in that 100-130 range last year...Damezi, RobPhin, Hunter and Henry.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I was thinking more about the top 150 I guess...seems like Indiana had a lot of players in that 100-130 range last year...Damezi, RobPhin, Hunter and Henry.

That was just the list I saw yesterday on Twitter.  In looking at the 247 rankings Indiana has 7 top 150 if you include the La Lumiere kids.  Stewart, TJD, Brooks, Franklin, Emanuel Miller, Newman and Gillis.  

Illinois has 4 top 150 players.  #38 Francis Okoro committed to Oregon, #59 E.J.Liddell,  #75 Markese Jacobs committed to Kansas and #78 Terrece Shannon.  After these guys the drop off goes to #170

2 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Funny-  Underwood was considered a good dark horse candidate here as well.  I'm rather happy that didn't occur.

I'm always suspicious of a coach willing to leave a decent situation after just one year. 

I don't mind saying that I was one who thought Underwood was an upgrade over Groce. Especially after what he had done at Oklahoma. At times, as we say with Kevin Wilson, things can get messed up, for one reason or another.  Currently, as far as I am concerned, Underwood has dug himself into a hole, the likes of which, I don't see him being able to get out of. 

And this story was written before most of the defections :

We Are Dangerously Close to the Possible End of the Brad Underwood Era at Illinois 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I don't mind saying that I was one who thought Underwood was an upgrade over Groce. Especially after what he had done at Oklahoma. At times, as we say with Kevin Wilson, things can get messed up, for one reason or another.  Currently, as far as I am concerned, Underwood has dug himself into a hole, the likes of which, I don't see him being able to get out of. 

And this story was written before most of the defections :

We Are Dangerously Close to the Possible End of the Brad Underwood Era at Illinois 

Interesting article.

I think some need to look at Underwood's resume.  He took over for a pretty good SFA squad.  Why Okie St. fired Ford is beyond me, but Underwood slipped right in.  One year and Illinois comes calling and he slipped right in there as well.  Something tells me the kids don't like him.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:59 PM, Seeking6 said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-mac-irvin-fire-statement-spt-1029-20171028-story.html

Archived