Penn State favored by 17

IUguy

In my "Fearless Football Picks" for this coming weekend's games , I had Penn State winning 36 to 21 !! I would love to see The Hoosiers beat Penn State !! However, The Hoosiers have a lot of small things that they need to corrcet to beat a program like PSU  , inho !!  However ,anything is possible !! Take Baylor for instance !! Baylor LOST their first two games ( one to Liberty who are not even a D1 School) ! Then , Baylor battled a good Oklahoma team down to the wire before losing only 49 to 41 !!

Just went and checked Baylor's football results :

Game # 1- Baylor loses 48 to 45 to LIBERTY !

Game 2 Baylor loses 17 to 10 to Texas San Antonio [ Not the university of Texas in Austin Texas }

Game 3. Baylor loses 34 to 20 to Duke !

Game 4, Baylor loses 49 to 41 TO THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS !!! A good point about this that Baylor is 0 and 4 on the season , yet they gave OKLAHOMA ALL they wanted !! IU , on the other hand , is 2 and 1 on the season and Clobbered a decent Virginia team that has won TWO straight games AFTER IU beat them by 17 POINTS !! So , it is not so unreasonable to hope [think ?] IU can 'UPSET" Penn Stat'e Nittany Lions !!!!!! Go Hoosiers- BEAT PSU !!

6 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

In my "Fearless Football Picks" for this coming weekend's games , I had Penn State winning 36 to 21 !! I would love to see The Hoosiers beat Penn State !! However, The Hoosiers have a lot of small things that they need to corrcet to beat a program like PSU  , inho !!  However ,anything is possible !! Take Baylor for instance !! Baylor LOST their first two games ( one to Liberty who are not even a D1 School) ! Then , Baylor battled a good Oklahoma team down to the wire before losing only 49 to 41 !!

Just went and checked Baylor's football results :

Game # 1- Baylor loses 48 to 45 to LIBERTY !

Game 2 Baylor loses 17 to 10 to Texas San Antonio [ Not the university of Texas in Austin Texas }

Game 3. Baylor loses 34 to 20 to Duke !

Game 4, Baylor loses 49 to 41 TO THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS !!! A good point about this that Baylor is 0 and 4 on the season , yet they gave OKLAHOMA ALL they wanted !! IU , on the other hand , is 2 and 1 on the season and Clobbered a decent Virginia team that has won TWO straight games AFTER IU beat them by 17 POINTS !! So , it is not so unreasonable to hope [think ?] IU can 'UPSET" Penn Stat'e Nittany Lions !!!!!! Go Hoosiers- BEAT PSU !!

The only difference between IU-Penn State and Baylor-Oklahoma is that Baylor had home field advantage.. huge when playing a opponent the caliber of Penn State or Oklahoma. I have hope that we can pull off the upset, but like you said there is a LOT of small things we need to fix if we want to have that "Breakthrough" game this season against Penn State, Michigan or Wisconsin.. But maybe it doesn't have to be a one game thing, Coach Allen did say it was a mentality. I have the Hoosiers going 8-4 and that is WITH an upset against Michigan or Wisconsin, I do believe this team has a lot of talent and think they will continue to grow as the season continues. Go IU!

I was more confident earlier in the week. Franklin is a guy who won't bat an eye at running up a score for style points though. Penn St is a top 5 team playing at home. Conventional wisdom says they should win by 20+ but I have to believe our guys have a quiet confidence after Virginia.

I'll go with Penn St 34 IU 23

Going into this game i'm not sure how confident I am that we can pull off the upset, but I am confident that we will put up a good fight. If we can hold Saquon pretty good (which for him is still prolly over 150 yards), I think that will keep the game close..I think our defense is going to look very good all day. Offense will have times where they are successful, but not enough. Saquon is going to be a big part of their offense obviously and I think we will defend him better than almost every team he faces this year. I think we keep it close throughout the whole game.

But I also see a time where they pull away.

I got it close until Penn St scores a late TD to give em the game.

Penn State 31 IU 20

That's fine by me.Allowing anything can get you beat.IU 'so margin for error is used up for the week with that horrid start.Now well see what they're made of and if Allen can make better adjustments than Franklin to make this interesting. 

I don't see it but crazy things happen in sports 

57 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

That's fine by me.Allowing anything can get you beat.IU 'so margin for error is used up for the week with that horrid start.Now well see what they're made of and if Allen can make better adjustments than Franklin to make this interesting. 

I don't see it but crazy things happen in sports 

I thought we might have a chance, like you, but down by four scores and playing dink and dunk scramble noodle arm simply doesn’t work. They are more than content to let the clock run down. Worst play calling I have seen since high school games. Maybe it is time to burn Tronti’s red shirt. He will take over next year anyway. It won’t help play calling, but it can’t be worse than benching Lagow when we have to have offense. 

While I agree on play calling, otherwise the situation right now is what it is ..When half of the starting offense ends up being originally on the 2nd team it just begins to make more sense for the intended back up QB.Lagow never was mentioned to have clearly taken ahold of the starting job, and I think some perceived it as him winning out by a larger margin than what it actually was going into the year.

Right now any mobility gives IU a better shot since the running game is clearly not going to be reliable week in week out,especially since Ramsey can move and throw while moving despite a broken line.This offense can buy Ramsey little time in the pocket, but Peyton can buy himself the rest where as Lagow cannot adjust so well.The WRs and TEs are big kids with decent hands.That being said, it isn't hard to ask them to use their size in a possession style short route passing game.Once the line gels and Ramsey settles in it will look really good given his legs keeping opponents honest. However, until the RBs also become a steady presence, it is never ideal to go one dimensional so that undermines the argument for Richard to be starter right now.

That seems to be the bottom line ,and how it is now playing out.Lagow never has had an the ideal scenario play out in terms of his protection or his top targets in either of his seasons at IU.It isn't all Lagow's fault which is why I can't blame you for where you have been coming from disagreeing with the moves at QB.Last year despite injuries Lagow was a better fit for Wilson's Offense and the personnel than Diamont was, since Diamont was so limited as a passer.I still think a more balanced QB could have unseated Lagow permanently last year,regardless of the injuries due to his decision own making.

He is now a gunslinger QB in a dialed back system, without adequate options to play to his strengths.Ramsey may not be so prolific,but the same goes for his turnovers.With Ramsey it is a lower risk ,and the energy of the defense speaks to the rewards.Is it more fun to watch? Certainly not,but fun doesn't always win ball games.I would happy with 3-0 wins every weekend.Griffin Oakes is making his kicks again .Lol 

Since the competition doesn't appear to be lightening up much now that Purdue and Sparty are kicking in, this may not be the end of this even if the coaches are saying this is a final decision.Tronti seeing even one single snap means the staff has their backs completely against the wall with the QB situation. A team playing terrible offense in desperate need for a 6th win might lead to Tronti,but why rush it if they stay on track to become eligible. I think mentioning Tronti is in some way conceding Ramsey is right for right now since he resembles Ramsey more than Lagow.I do think Tronti is IU's best option as a back up for the same reasons Ramsey is a more ideal starter right now.

Edit : I just typed IU QB decision in my search engine and got this first. While this article states the difference between the two , the gist of Allen's choice with Ramsey seemingly a better fit, and how there appeared to be two different offenses,they didn't exactly come out and just say the Offensive line did not allow that downhill traditional rushing attack to generate enough yards.It clearly wasn't working that way against OSU, then early on against UVA, and the fact it came against the level of competition IU sees in conference would have made any coach 2nd guess whether Lagow was initially their guy or not.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/10/02/iu-football-names-peyton-ramsey-starting-qb/722754001/

I think what it comes down to for this year is that the defense is going to be the deciding factor in IU's wins moreso than the offense (which is an odd thing to say for anyone who's been an IU fan for a while).  With Lagow, it's kind of feast or famine, and with the O-line being what it is right now, it's really difficult for him to get in a rhythm to make those big plays downfield.

I'd argue that even if he could, it may not be what IU needs to win THIS year.  With drives that last one minute, the defense gets worn out too quickly, and now we've seen what they can do when they aren't worn out at the end of the game.  If the defense is fresh going into the fourth quarter against Ohio State, it could have ended differently - they just got worn down and couldn't keep up.

Ramsey, even if not scoring in a prolific way, keeps the offense on the field a bit longer and gives the defense more rest.

I said it on another board, but to repeat:  The mistakes and turnovers, especially against Penn State, along with a few questionable calls vis a vis "offensive pass interference" have overshadowed exactly how good the defense is this year.  For example, the score could easily have been 38-0 yesterday if not for a pass interference call and a fumble from Simmie Cobbs.

I don't care who it's against - holding a team scoreless with ZERO pass completions means you have a pretty good defense.

Ultimately, in terms of quarterbacks, I think it boils down to one is not really better than the other, they just bring different things to the table, and right now what Ramsey brings will help the defense win more games.

Archived