Should the Senate vote on our next SCOTUS justice before the midterms?

KoB2011

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Elections being rigged and fixed? Shocking. Does that mean since we think or have proof of the mob influencing JFK election and victory we should hold all opinions that White and Goldberg had because of that?? Of course not.

Pretty foolish to continue to invest time/energy/resources in this. If I'm the left I start figuring out who they should run up the aisle in 2020 and not try to undo something that even if you had absolute proof isn't going to be undone. 

Wait, what? Who cares if we have free elections?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how Fridays indictments has anything to do with selecting a Justice. Kavanaugh was just as likely to be selected by any Republican President. Was Trump supposed to appoint a far left Judge? Rosenstein specifically said no Americans were involved and no evidence of any "collusion". The Supreme Court is not going to impeach Trump. Its up to the voters or to elect someone else or Congress to impeach. Every day there is some new paranoia from the left and every time there is no substance. Today Trump committed "treason" by meeting with Putin? Come on. What ever came out of Obama's meeting with Putin? Why did we not get a transcript of their private conversation within 2 hours like it seems people expect now? If anything, the indictments are  meaningless as these Russians will never set foot in a US courtroom. To me it's just a PR move. I don't know why we are wasting resources trying to prove Russians meddle. Accept it as fact and work on defensive countermeasures. There were all sorts of Russian spies here in the 60s during the cold war.  50 years later- nothing new. Russia meddling was actually exacerbated by Clinton/ Podesta/ DNC lack of attention to basic computer security protocols. They rolled out the red carpet for Russia and everybody else. There is no doubt that Clinton was "extremely careless" and / or "grossly negligent" with top secret info.  Shouldn't these people be the ones being raided and jailed? It is not just suspicion but proven facts at this point.

• 1 month later...

I'll say it again, there should be no confirmation hearing at this time. Doesn't mean Kavanaugh can't eventually sit on the Supreme Court, but we should let things play out before that decision is made. 

There is no other option that puts Democracy and America as the top priority other than to wait. 

44 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This makes no sense to me. Please explain-

1) Why shouldn't there be a confirmation hearing?

2) How is Democracy at risk?

3) How is America at risk?

Let me answer those for you.....

1) The left says there shouldn't be

2) Because the left says so.

3)  See answer for #2

In in other news......how about our economy?  LOL

On 8/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, KoB2011 said:

I'll say it again, there should be no confirmation hearing at this time. Doesn't mean Kavanaugh can't eventually sit on the Supreme Court, but we should let things play out before that decision is made. 

There is no other option that puts Democracy and America as the top priority other than to wait. 

While you are working on your response, let me tell you what I think is far more damaging to this country-

- FBI Special Agent Jonathan Moffa told Congress on  August 24 that the FBI has used leaked stories to obtain FISA warrants. For the FBI and CIA to be colluding (with how many other agencies?) and weaponizing our security apparatus to spy on the political opposition sound very un-American. More KGBish?

- The FBI paid $400,000 to Stefan Halper (who has close ties to Russia -including Putin) to spy on the Trump campaign. 

- Our former Secretary of State was so concerned about dodging Freedom of Information requests and hiding money laundering through her foundation that she let the Chinese spy, in real time, and read all her emails (including many top secret). And when the fact that the Chinese had access to her email and the FBI was alerted- 

"The Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) found that virtually all of Clinton’s emails were sent to a “foreign entity,” Rep. Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican, said at a July 12 House Committee on the Judiciary hearing. He did not reveal the entity’s identity, but said it was unrelated to Russia. 

Two officials with the ICIG, investigator Frank Rucker and attorney Janette McMillan, met repeatedly with FBI officials to warn them of the Chinese intrusion"

Yet the bureau's top counterintelligence official Peter Stzrok (Hmmm, that name sounds familiar) did nothing and let the Chinese surveillance continue. Sure sounds like treasonous behavior to me. Perhaps a threat to our country?

Then I read - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html and wonder if Hillary (Sec of State from 2009-2013) is responsible for the death / imprisonment of 20 CIA agents / sources virtually wiping out US spying in China. 

So Trump does have the economy roaring. And I think I heard about a trade agreement with Mexico (weren't trade wars supposed to sink our economy?). I do fault him for doing very little to rid Washington DC of the rampant corruption and cronyism. It's nice people are being held accountable for tax crimes from a decade ago but why is immunity being given to those who are politically connected? And those who are responsible for truly egregious crimes not being prosecuted? A two tiered justice system is also a threat to this country. 

Now, what is it you think is so damaging to our country and democracy?

1) Besides the fact that McConnell established we don't confirm in election years and the fact that there is a plethora of relevant documents related to Kavanaugh that haven't been provided; the President was named in open court as a co-conspirator in a crime to influence the election. Until that is investigated to completion that president shouldn't be making a lifetime appointment. 

2) The President was named an a co-conspirator in a crime against a presidential election. That's a threat to our democracy. 

3) If our democracy is at risk our country is at risk. 

These things all deserve to be investigated. No amount of what aboutism will change that. If the Democrats are just as bad (or worse) it won't change anything. In fact, your post saying how bad the Dems are is all the more reason to slow down and figure out what is going on before we make lifetime appointments. I can't believe a rational, independent person would want a lifetime appointment made with so much baggage hanging over the both parties. What's the rush?

21 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Its just a pet peeve of mine, but I like to point out our system isnt a democracy but instead a constitutional republic.

Also, who is naming Trump a co-conspirator.   I think that is important considering the possibility of bias. 

His former personal attorney. Cohen could be biased, we should look into that, but it would be incredibly negligent to think there is no corroborating evidence to go with Cohen's plea. 

We are at a point where there is a lot we dont know and even a lot the Senate doesn't; why rush? The facts will all come out and we can confirm or deny once they do. 

What's the risk of waiting and being wrong? What's the risk of rushing and being wrong?

The conservative approach is clearly to wait. 

12 hours ago, Reacher said:

While you are working on your response, let me tell you what I think is far more damaging to this country-

- FBI Special Agent Jonathan Moffa told Congress on  August 24 that the FBI has used leaked stories to obtain FISA warrants. For the FBI and CIA to be colluding (with how many other agencies?) and weaponizing our security apparatus to spy on the political opposition sound very un-American. More KGBish?

- The FBI paid $400,000 to Stefan Halper (who has close ties to Russia -including Putin) to spy on the Trump campaign. 

- Our former Secretary of State was so concerned about dodging Freedom of Information requests and hiding money laundering through her foundation that she let the Chinese spy, in real time, and read all her emails (including many top secret). And when the fact that the Chinese had access to her email and the FBI was alerted- 

"The Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) found that virtually all of Clinton’s emails were sent to a “foreign entity,” Rep. Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican, said at a July 12 House Committee on the Judiciary hearing. He did not reveal the entity’s identity, but said it was unrelated to Russia. 

Two officials with the ICIG, investigator Frank Rucker and attorney Janette McMillan, met repeatedly with FBI officials to warn them of the Chinese intrusion"

Yet the bureau's top counterintelligence official Peter Stzrok (Hmmm, that name sounds familiar) did nothing and let the Chinese surveillance continue. Sure sounds like treasonous behavior to me. Perhaps a threat to our country?

Then I read - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html and wonder if Hillary (Sec of State from 2009-2013) is responsible for the death / imprisonment of 20 CIA agents / sources virtually wiping out US spying in China. 

So Trump does have the economy roaring. And I think I heard about a trade agreement with Mexico (weren't trade wars supposed to sink our economy?). I do fault him for doing very little to rid Washington DC of the rampant corruption and cronyism. It's nice people are being held accountable for tax crimes from a decade ago but why is immunity being given to those who are politically connected? And those who are responsible for truly egregious crimes not being prosecuted? A two tiered justice system is also a threat to this country. 

Now, what is it you think is so damaging to our country and democracy?

If Clinton did all the things they spent years investigating her for with no indictments I think that is damaging. What in the world does it have to do with the topic at hand?

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

1) Besides the fact that McConnell established we don't confirm in election years and the fact that there is a plethora of relevant documents related to Kavanaugh that haven't been provided; the President was named in open court as a co-conspirator in a crime to influence the election. Until that is investigated to completion that president shouldn't be making a lifetime appointment. 

2) The President was named an a co-conspirator in a crime against a presidential election. That's a threat to our democracy. 

3) If our democracy is at risk our country is at risk. 

These things all deserve to be investigated. No amount of what aboutism will change that. If the Democrats are just as bad (or worse) it won't change anything. In fact, your post saying how bad the Dems are is all the more reason to slow down and figure out what is going on before we make lifetime appointments. I can't believe a rational, independent person would want a lifetime appointment made with so much baggage hanging over the both parties. What's the rush?

1) There is a difference between Mid term and Presidential election years.  President Trump is still going to be the President after the election.

2) I guess we should stop everything the government does until the investigation is complete. 2 years in to an investigation where even the smallest details are leaked and there has not been a whiff of Russia collusion (as admitted to by many Democrats).  The stories  (CNN Lanny Davis) purporting collusion have been retracted and proven fake at an alarming rate. As I posted on 7/16 (above) Kavanaugh has nothing to do with Trump or Russia and was named as a possible Justice PRIOR to Trump being elected and was just as likely to be appointed by any other Republican President. 

3) Saying Trump is co conspirator in a crime is a Chuck Shumer talking point that ignores the fact that the FEC Commissioner that drafted the rule said it is not a violation. Eventually this will get sorted out but it does not necessitate stopping the functions of the President. I can't believe a rational, independent person would ignore the real risk to this country of perhaps the greatest abuse of power seen in this country's history. 

"Campaign-finance law aims to prevent corruption. For this reason, the FEC has a longstanding ban on “personal use” of campaign funds. Such use would give campaign contributions a material value beyond helping to elect the candidate—the essence of a bribe. FEC regulations explain that the campaign cannot pay expenses that would exist “irrespective” of the campaign, even if it might help win election. At the same time, obligations that would not exist “but for” the campaign must be paid from campaign funds.If paying hush money is a campaign expense, a candidate would be required to make that payment with campaign funds. How ironic, given that using campaign funds as hush money was one of the articles of impeachment in the Watergate scandal, which gave rise to modern campaign-finance law."

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If Clinton did all the things they spent years investigating her for with no indictments I think that is damaging. What in the world does it have to do with the topic at hand?

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But seriously, let's open up more investigations into Hillary. Maybe they'll be able to indict someone for something this time. 

Do you honestly believe that any investigation into Hillary was complete and honest? 

If so, I'm sorry because evidence continues to come out that her supporters deviated from all protocols to give her a pass and never even examined most of the evidence- let alone conducted midnights raids to seize any evidence. It's been known that she (or her assistant) destroyed some of the evidence. That is a crime. Why no indictment?

This story was ran by dozens of outlets earlier this week- http://www.investmentwatchblog.com/comeys-fbi-only-examined-3077-of-694000-emails-on-anthony-weiners-laptop-during-hillary-probe/. Hillary's buddy (acknowledged Trump hating) Peter Strzok even selected the 3000 emails for the FBI. That's a fair investigation. No different than the treatment Trumps associates are getting :panic:  

I can't believe a rational, independent person would argue that justice has been applied equally among Hillary and Trump supporters.  And yes that matters as Comey (the same guy that lied to Congress in the above story) has admitted (to Congress) to leaking info in hopes of starting the special investigation into Trump based upon a phony and fraudulent dossier. Only makes sense that he wants Trump out before the full extent of his wrong doing  is brought to light.

At this point it can't just be chalked up to biased media because we have real indictments; to ignore the major red flags is essentially saying the government is out to get Trump. If that is what you believe, and it appears you do, you aren't worth talking to. One of us is necessarily delusional given the canyon between our realities. 

Hillary is a separate issue from Trump, stop bringing her up. She has literally nothing to do with this thread. Feel free to start a thread where discussions of her fit but it isn't this one. To continue changing the subject is nothing but blatant trolling on your part. 

50 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

At this point it can't just be chalked up to biased media because we have real indictments; to ignore the major red flags is essentially saying the government is out to get Trump. If that is what you believe, and it appears you do, you aren't worth talking to. One of us is necessarily delusional given the canyon between our realities. 

Hillary is a separate issue from Trump, stop bringing her up. She has literally nothing to do with this thread. Feel free to start a thread where discussions of her fit but it isn't this one. To continue changing the subject is nothing but blatant trolling on your part. 

I'm trying to have a rational discussion. If you don't like the facts I bring to the table, you imply I'm delusional? Come on man. Half the country is delusional too? Look in the mirror. Look at both sides. I do. Dispute the facts if you want but don't belittle the messenger. 

The indictments so far have nothing to do with Trump. If you do not believe the FBI (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/us/politics/fbi-texts-trump.html) and other agencies went all out to stop Trump, and are continuing to do so, you are oblivious to what is really going on. The head of the FBI, James Comey admitted to leaking info to get a special counsel to get Trump- https://www.mrctv.org/blog/report-doj-investigating-comey-potentially-leaking-classified-info-trump-memos. Do you doubt the FBI heads own words?

Just today this comes out-  On Tuesday, Rep. Darrell Issa, a California Republican, told Fox News that “Bruce Ohr is creating a link for us between people… who had animus, who were, in fact, desperate to stop candidate Trump from being President Trump.” 

Don't you see the wrong doing of fired / demoted officials like Comey (lied to Congress, made Millions from Mueller), McCabe (took Clinton campaign $), Strzok (admitted to fervently hating Trump), Bruce Ohr (wife paid to put together dirt on Trump)? And why does this same group end up front and center for everything Hillary and Trump? Why did investigations get moved to Washington DC from the field offices to be handled by a select group (aforementioned names) against FBI protocol (according to Inspector General report) ? Why the disparity in prosecuting those with Hillary and those with Trump? Was Huma's house raided at midnight? The DNC headquarters? You probably still believe the DNC was hacked by Russians because that was what they paid a company (Crowdstrike - with close Democratic ties) to say and told the media to report. And since when does the FBI not do their own investigations? https://yournewswire.com/lisa-page-squeals-dnc-server-not-hacked-russia/

I didn't say you were delusional, I said one of us is. You're either delusional for believing the government and media is out to get the president or I'm delusional for not seeing it. There's really no way we are both rational here. 

There's no point arguing facts with you; you have spin for everything and continually move the goal posts. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Really?  C'mon KoB.  Hillary has everything to do with Trump.  Trump's "problems" come from the Clinton backers.  Biased media?  Which major network supports Donald?  

What is the dems goal here?  Hold up the nomination until after mid terms and hope for more seats? Then what,  if they get a majority? Hold up nominations indefinitely until another dem president or seat kavanagh in the end.

From what I understand kavanaugh is a moderate constitutional judge. Thats a good thing.

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn't say you were delusional, I said one of us is. You're either delusional for believing the government and media is out to get the president or I'm delusional for not seeing it. There's really no way we are both rational here. 

There's no point arguing facts with you; you have spin for everything and continually move the goal posts. 

Maybe not the whole government but definitely individuals in important positions within government agencies. I personally believe most mainstream media spends alot of tearing him down over anything and everything.

Its like nothing I've witnessed with past presidents.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

Really?  C'mon KoB.  Hillary has everything to do with Trump.  Trump's "problems" come from the Clinton backers.  Biased media?  Which major network supports Donald?  

No, she doesn't. His problems are of his own doing. 

Fox News has more viewers than any other network and they are certainly supportive of Trump. 

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What is the dems goal here?  Hold up the nomination until after mid terms and hope for more seats? Then what,  if they get a majority? Hold up nominations indefinitely until another dem president or seat kavanagh in the end.

From what I understand kavanaugh is a moderate constitutional judge. Thats a good thing.

I believe the goal is to wait to hold confirmation hearings until 1) the requested documentation to evaluate him has been provided and 2) understand if the man who nominated him did anything that would preclude him from making a lifetime appointment. 

This isn't shutting down the entire government, its stopping a lifetime appointment until we have a clear picture. Since when is it a bad thing to want to have all the information before making a decision that will shape the country for decades or more. 

26 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Bingo.

Archived