Should the Senate vote on our next SCOTUS justice before the midterms?

KoB2011

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think this is a good example for outlawing electronic voting. Im in favor of paper balloting only.  Fill in the circle, no hanging chads.  I would take inconvenience of over the risk involved. 

Not saying a social media campaign is ok but I dont see it being effective and probably impossible to shut down completely.

As far as I've seen the Trump campaign at worst wanted to get dirt on hillary from the russians.  which would have been unnecessary anyway? 

What about Hillary's dossier on trump? Wasnt an ex Russian agent involved in that?  Or am I wrong.

I'm all for upping election security and paper ballots with bubbles. The Democrats proposed a bill doing just that. 

I agree you can't stop a foreign government from social media attacks, but it can be limited and we certainly can expect that our own candidates don't coordinate with a foreign enemy. 

The dossier was done by a former British spy and was originally started by conservatives to get dirt on Trump. Fusion GPS then picked up the funding after Trump won the nomination, but I don't believe we have any credible ties to Hillary funding it. So far, the claims in it that have been verified as true or false have been true. There is a lot that remains unknown about the veracity of the dossier. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm all for upping election security and paper ballots with bubbles. The Democrats proposed a bill doing just that. 

I agree you can't stop a foreign government from social media attacks, but it can be limited and we certainly can expect that our own candidates don't coordinate with a foreign enemy. 

The dossier was done by a former British spy and was originally started by conservatives to get dirt on Trump. Fusion GPS then picked up the funding after Trump won the nomination, but I don't believe we have any credible ties to Hillary funding it. So far, the claims in it that have been verified as true or false have been true. There is a lot that remains unknown about the veracity of the dossier. 

Please stop trying to spin this. Or rewrite history. No credible tie to Clinton? Been verified as true? Even fake news NY TImes admitted last year that Clinton and the DNC took over AND PAID FOR the Fusion Dossier. That it was originated by Republicans has no relevance. Steele was not brought in until Clinton and the DNC took it over.  And even the fake news NY Times admitted nothing has been substantiated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/us/politics/steele-dossier-trump-expained.html

"Fusion GPS was hired on behalf of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign and the D.N.C. by their law firm, Perkins Coie, to compile research about Mr. Trump, his businesses and associates — including possible connections with Russia. It was at that point that Fusion GPS hired Mr. Steele, who has deep sourcing in Russia, to gather information."

"There has been no public corroboration of the salacious allegations against Mr. Trump, nor of the specific claims about coordination between his associates and the Russians. In fact, some of those claims have been challenged with supporting evidence. For instance, Mr. Trump’s longtime personal lawyer, Michael D. Cohen, produced his passport to rebut the dossier’s claim that he had secret meetings in Prague with a Russian official last year."

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We have no idea rather or not your first paragraph is true. We know Russia interfered, we know people from Trump's team met with then and didn't report it to the FBI as they were supposed to and as has been done previously. 

Your second paragraph is a two way street - Kavanaugh is certainly an activist judge with intentions on changing laws that are very popular. I'd be curious to understand what unpopular laws you think Democrats have rammed through with activist judges. A few examples and evidence that those laws were unpopular would be great. 

I love how you challenge other peoples assertions and then go on to make your own. 

Kavanaugh is certainly an activist judge? Oh my. Not in my book. Looks as mainstream as you can get. Even his critics have admitted nobody has laid a glove on him during these hearings and all indications are he will be approved with bipartisan support.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't want to get into the weeds...but Bruce Ohr from the Justice Department wife worked for Fusion GPS while it was making up dirt on Donald Trump (like he didn't have dirt enough they had to go and make stuff up). Ohr hid this information from the FISA court who allowed the FBI to spy on Trump and his counterparts. The whole thing was as dirty as a baby's diaper....which most things in politics have become. Fact is the FBI and Justice department with Rosenstein and others were so hell bent on not allowing Trump to be President the went to any and ever extreme possible. I get it. I was disappointed too that our elective process came down to Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton...two of the sleaziest people I can think of..but when Trump says he is going to drain the swamp and change up govt....the snakes and aligators got nervous and decided to protect their territory by any means necessary.

• The FBI interviewed Ohr after the election
  • Ohr had contacts with ex-British intelligence officer Christopher Steele  
  • At the same time Ohr's wife Nellie worked for Fusion GPS, which hired Steele
  • The Ohrs' releationship with Steele and the firm was 'inexplicably concealed' from the intelligence court that OK'd a warrant, according to the memo
  • Nevertheless the memo cites Ohr as source of information about Steele
  • It says Steele told him he was 'desperate that Donal Trump not get elected' and Ohr recorded the information, which made it into FBI files

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5346375/Memo-reveals-Fusion-GPS-employed-wife-DOJ-official.html

Again...more disgusting Washington DC bureaucracy at it's finest.

46 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I love how you challenge other peoples assertions and then go on to make your own. 

Kavanaugh is certainly an activist judge? Oh my. Not in my book. Looks as mainstream as you can get. Even his critics have admitted nobody has laid a glove on him during these hearings and all indications are he will be approved with bipartisan support.

Are you challenging the veracity of the fact that (1) Russia meddled in our election and (2) people from Trump's team met with Russia?

Russia admitted to the first point and Trump's team has admitted to the second. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Are you challenging the veracity of the fact that (1) Russia meddled in our election and (2) people from Trump's team met with Russia?

Your side lost the election.......get over it.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You conveniently ignore the points I made and ask about items I didn't even address? Even though we have already covered some of this, I'll try again.

I mentioned pages ago that Russia has been meddling with us for 50+ years.  SO WHAT? There has not been a scintilla of evidence that they had any effect and the intelligence community has come out to say they didn't influence the outcome. They weren't the only ones trying to influence our elections either. Countless other countries have tried. Soros, and his funded organizations, have had a much greater effect as far as actual influence. Where is your outrage over that? Meddling does not equal affecting the outcome. The US has meddled all over the world so is a two way street. 

Trump was set up as far as the Trump tower meeting with Don Jr. Read some news. The people (not going to try those names) that came were all linked to Fusion. But the big question is ... SO WHAT? There is no law against meeting with a Russian. And nothing came from that meeting. This details it all- https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/08/13/trump_tower_meeting_looks_increasingly_like_a_setup.html

All of this stuff is out in the open now. Just because CNN is not carrying the stories does not mean it is not being reported elsewhere. https://saraacarter.com/ has done a great job reporting on this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the senate calendar and it looks like they only have 8 weeks left in session after this week. 

Would be very difficult to squeeze a nomination into that time. And I could see a guy like Flake refusing to do it during the lame duck session. 

I also could see Flake voting down Kavanuagh. He wants to run for president and it would be. Great way to capture a voting segment that doesn't like Trump 

It might be Kavanaugh or bust for the republicans. Even if they keep control after he midterms there will be less pressure on red state dems plus if the house gets split 50/50 the republicans could only afford 1 defection. 

Archived