Should the Senate vote on our next SCOTUS justice before the midterms?

KoB2011

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I believe the goal is to wait to hold confirmation hearings until 1) the requested documentation to evaluate him has been provided and 2) understand if the man who nominated him did anything that would preclude him from making a lifetime appointment. 

This isn't shutting down the entire government, its stopping a lifetime appointment until we have a clear picture. Since when is it a bad thing to want to have all the information before making a decision that will shape the country for decades or more. 

Its not a bad thing at all to have all available information.  And if that's all they are waiting on then good.

But the rhetoric immediately after the Kennedy retirement was about roe v wade being overturned and rights being taken away, and facing a generation of a conservative leaning SCOTUS.

Which is why I question their motives. 

24 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Its not a bad thing at all to have all available information.  And if that's all they are waiting on then good.

But the rhetoric immediately after the Kennedy retirement was about roe v wade being overturned and rights being taken away, and facing a generation of a conservative leaning SCOTUS.

Which is why I question their motives. 

Exactly. When there are screams to impeach Trump before he entered office, when the last 10? Republican nominated Justices have all been met with the same hysterical outrage, it gets old. From Clarence Thomas to Robert Bork to Gorsuch and now Kavanaugh, the goal is to besmirch and obstruct every step of the way. The Senates role is to advise on the nomination. There is plenty of information available to do just that. This guy has been on the court publishing decisions for years. There is no mystery. Just stall tactics.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Fox News has more viewers than any other network and they are certainly supportive of Trump. 

Your bias is showing. Cable networks, yes. Any other network- no.

"Below are the primetime Nielsen averages through 32 weeks of the 2017-18 television season. All numbers include seven days of delayed viewing where available. 

Total Viewers
1. NBC: 9.1 million (up 10% from last year’s 8.2 million)
2. CBS: 9.0 million (down 8% from last year’s 9.7 million)
3. ABC: 6.1 million (down 2% from last year’s 6.2 million)
4. Fox: 5.0 million (down 17% from last year’s 6.0 million)"

Add CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC together and what do you get? Then for icing on the cake add in social media. And the candles- print media!

Hannity (top Fox show) averages 3+ million viewers. 60 Minutes averages 11+ million viewers. Do your own research.

My favorite argument is that Fox is conservative. Yes, there are conservative, Trump supporting shows/ personalities. There are also anti Trump personalities (Shepard Smith, Juan Williams) and almost all the shows have liberal guests / interviews. You certainly get both sides of an argument. Anti Trump stories are carried (unlike how pro Trump stories- roaring economy- are minimized by the other networks ). Remember Megyn Kelly going after Trump in the debate? Compare that to Blitzer and Stephanopolous softball treatment of Hillary. 
I'd say Fox is 60-70% conservative vs less than 10% for the other networks.

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

"Below are the primetime Nielsen averages through 32 weeks of the 2017-18 television season. All numbers include seven days of delayed viewing where available. 

Total Viewers

Add CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC together and what do you get? Then for icing on the cake add in social media. And the candles- print media!

My favorite argument is that Fox is conservative. Yes, there are conservative, Trump supporting shows/ personalities. There are also anti Trump personalities (Shepard Smith, Juan Williams) and almost all the shows have liberal guests / interviews. You certainly get both sides of an argument. Anti Trump stories are carried (unlike how pro Trump stories- roaring economy- are minimized by the other networks ). Remember Megyn Kelly going after Trump in the debate? Compare that to Blitzer and Stephanopolous softball treatment of Hillary. 

Post of the day in my book.

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Total Viewers

Hannity averages 3+ million viewers. 60 Minutes averages 11+ million viewers. Do your own research.

Just so everyone can see how transparently dishonest you are, here is the article you quoted and didn't link. That article and those stats have literally nothing to do with media coverage which is what was being discussed. Nice try. 

If you're going to blatantly lie, I'm out. Good luck finding those emails.

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Just so everyone can see how transparently dishonest you are, here is the article you quoted and didn't link. That article and those stats have literally nothing to do with media coverage which is what was being discussed. Nice try. 

If you're going to blatantly lie, I'm out. Good luck finding those emails.

You are moving the goalposts. You stated "Fox News has more viewers than any other network " That is what I responded to. I provided viewership numbers. Specifically for Hannity and 60 Minutes.  Now you bring in media coverage? Sure, I'll bite- https://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/555092743/study-news-coverage-of-trump-more-negative-than-for-other-presidents. Still biased.

I think "everyone" recognizes I am not lying. If I cannot keep up with your changing narrative, I apologize.  I'm not hiding anything. Quoted the relevant article verbatim.

This is my take on all of this SCOTUS stuff.  The Dems can't handle the fact they lost the last Presidential election.  Hillary is trying to figure out how she pissed it away.  A guy comes from nowhere and wins the damn thing.  And they scratch their collectively heads.  Why? How?  My God how did this happen?  It is not rocket science....the American people were sick of status qua.  Trump defies everything that those vultures in D.C. live on.  And that is both partys.  But dammit he is doing fine.  But yet there are those out there that want to throw a monkey wrench into the works.  

Signed,

fed up U.S. citizen

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

BTW, I hope to go to the Trump rally down here in E'ville tomorrow night. He's campaigning for Mike Braun

If you do, I hope you share a summary with us. I've heard they are quite an experience- and you have to get there early!

The confirmation should not be held up it was incredibly wrong and unprofessional by the GOP in 2016 but if I were the leaders of the Republican Party I wouldn’t want to do the confirmation hearing now until the Meuller probe is finished. 

If the probe comes back with solid evidence of trump doing more than he’s already admitted. Which is pretty bad in and of itself then the Democrats will retake the senate and WH in 2020. 

Then they will probably stack the court to counter these two tainted appointments. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The confirmation should not be held up it was incredibly wrong and unprofessional by the GOP in 2016 but if I were the leaders of the Republican Party I wouldn’t want to do the confirmation hearing now until the Meuller probe is finished. 

If the probe comes back with solid evidence of trump doing more than he’s already admitted. Which is pretty bad in and of itself then the Democrats will retake the senate and WH in 2020. 

Then they will probably stack the court to counter these two tainted appointments. 

Oh yeah?  Interesting.  

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m starting to wonder why the republicans are even supporting this guy. 

They could probably gain a lot of political capital by not confirming him. He’s so unpopular. It’s not like they will lose the senate. Worst case it gets tied at 50

Quite a "flip-flop" from your last post here.  

Archived