General NBA Thread

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Who is we?  Golden st, Houston, or Celtics?  A healthy Thunder are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the league.  

Why? We had the same amount of wins than them and certainly had a better showing in the playoffs vs. a better team. Melo is doing nothing anymore. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

We're better than the thunder. Probably be better than the Lakers this coming year. And we certainly offer more usage for him than the Thunder as well. But yes, it would be an awesome decision. 

@NotIThatLives what's confusing?

I hope we get the guy.  I'm not sure what you are basing the Pacers being a top 4 team in the entire league when most professionals are slotting us at 4th in the east.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I hope we get the guy.  I'm not sure what you are basing the Pacers being a top 4 team in the entire league when most professionals are slotting us at 4th in the east.  

They had us winning 25 games last year... I'd still like the explanation on why the Thunder are better than us? 

We were like 51-25 when Sabonis and VO both played. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why? We had the same amount of wins than them and certainly had a better showing in the playoffs vs. a better team. Melo is doing nothing anymore. 

And lost to the Thunder in both games. And the Thunder were playing in the playoffs without Roberson, who is key to that team. The Thunder had a top 2-3 D and were on a 7-game win streak when he went down. Pacers are good for sure. If the Thunder have Roberson back fully healthy, they'll be very good as well. Both teams should have good years, and both teams are behind the top 2 or 3 in their conference.  Boston is better than the Pacers. Philly likely is, and they'll be better than last season, with the experience. Then you have teams like the Raptors and Bucks. I continue to think the P's are a piece or two away, add a top flight point and they're immediately in that contending group, imo.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

And lost to the Thunder in both games. And the Thunder were playing in the playoffs without Roberson, who is key to that team. The Thunder had a top 2-3 D and were on a 7-game win streak when he went down. Pacers are good for sure. If the Thunder have Roberson back fully healthy, they'll be very good as well. Both teams should have good years, and both teams are behind the top 2 or 3 in their conference.  Boston is better than the Pacers. Philly likely is, and they'll be better than last season, with the experience. Then you have teams like the Raptors and Bucks. I continue to think the P's are a piece or two away, add a top flight point and they're immediately in that contending group, imo.

Thunder are going to be good. Two studs, then three really good role players around them in Roberson, Adams and Grant. If they could talk Melo into being the guy in the second unit they'd be really at least as good as the Rockets IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We played them the first time without Turner. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Thunder are going to be good. Two studs, then three really good role players around them in Roberson, Adams and Grant. If they could talk Melo into being the guy in the second unit they'd be really at least as good as the Rockets IMO. 

I think so too, though that's a BIG if with Melo. They'll probably go through another long string of games where they and he are trying to make things work -- Thunder would've been a lot better if they hadn't brought him in, but I do agree, they have the potential, and when Roberson went down they were playing great. I really hope he's healthy, not because I'm rooting for the Thunder, but because I love his D, and what he brings without having to be a scorer. Plus, ANYONE who can give GS fits is a team I'll back!

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What he said.  

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I dont think so at all. Just dont see PG ever being tough enough. They lack some shooters I feel like as well. But anyways.. same record, and we had a better showing in the playoffs.. were absolutely comparable to them. 

Dont think so to the rockets part.

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont think so at all. Just dont see PG ever being tough enough. They lack some shooters I feel like as well. But anyways.. same record, and we had a better showing in the playoffs.. were absolutely comparable to them. 

Dont think so to the rockets part.

Same record, but they were in a much better conference and without a key player for a good chunk of the year (including the playoffs). 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Same record, but they were in a much better conference and without a key player for a good chunk of the year (including the playoffs). 

Much better top 2 teams. Not a conference as a whole... 

We were without Sabonis and VO for 13 games and Turner for like 15. Roberson isnt as good as any of those 3. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Much better top 2 teams. Not a conference as a whole... 

We were without Sabonis and VO for 13 games and Turner for like 15. Roberson isnt as good as any of those 3. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/jkubatko/status/971026866319454208?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^971026866319454208&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fclutchpoints.com%2Fnba-news-western-conference-again-dominating-head-to-head-matchups-vs-east%2F

West is much better than the east. We’ll see if OKC buys melo out and if they can add anything else. As far as next season comparing these two...I think it’ll depend on the progression of Turner + Sabonis. I think the Pacers prolly end up as the three seed.

Yes, right now with all the free agency news it is exciting for the NBA.  In the long run I think all of this is really going to hurt the NBA because only a very few teams will be competitive.  All the big time stars will go to places that have all the money and can pay the luxury tax.  Right now there are only two ways to be able to compete. 1 is to be able to pay what ever it takes to get the big time free agents or the other is to be really bad for 4 and 5 seasons in a row.  You need to tank to get a top 5 draft pick like 5 years in a row and hope you hit big on 2 or 3 of those draft picks and hope the other 2 are big contributors to your team.  Look at Philly they have hit big on 2 and the other 3 not so much with Noel and Okafor not being on the team anymore.

I just see teams in the small to mid market teams like the Pacers having a ceiling of getting to the second round of the playoffs and maybe getting lucky and getting to the conference finals once in awhile.  Teams like the Pacers are just good enough to make the playoffs but not be good enough to compete for the championship.  You just can't build a winner by drafting between 15-25 every year and not being able to bring in big time free agents.

I think Cousins is a punk. He's played that way his entire career. With that said. Every other team in the NBA had a chance to offer/sign him. They didn't and Golden St did. I used to like Golden St (about 3-4 years ago). Can't blame them for making the call, offering a deal while Cousins rehabs....and closing it. 

Will be interesting if NBA ever decides to reseed the playoff teams as a whole and not West vs East. 

Regarding the East. All night last night I keep hearing Celtics, 76ers..Toronto. Hope people keep sleeping on the Pacers. If this Tyreke Evans stuff is true. That would be a very nice addition. People keep saying OKC for him. Only way they can do that is sign and trade. 

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think Cousins is a punk. He's played that way his entire career. With that said. Every other team in the NBA had a chance to offer/sign him. They didn't and Golden St did. I used to like Golden St (about 3-4 years ago). Can't blame them for making the call, offering a deal while Cousins rehabs....and closing it. 

Will be interesting if NBA ever decides to reseed the playoff teams as a whole and not West vs East. 

Regarding the East. All night last night I keep hearing Celtics, 76ers..Toronto. Hope people keep sleeping on the Pacers. If this Tyreke Evans stuff is true. That would be a very nice addition. People keep saying OKC for him. Only way they can do that is sign and trade. 

If the P's get Evans that would be big for sure, really good player and should compliment Vic well. If the Thunder get him they're probably right back in the picture for top of the West. This has been a crazy off season and it's only July 3.

Maybe the NBA needs a hard cap. Trying to limit player salaries at this point would be a major uphill fight. New trade/movement restrictions, a hard cap, and related adjustments should be considered, imo.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It is funny that Golden St is the top organization now since they use to be the laughing stock of the league not that long ago.  They use to be the Sacramento Kings of the NBA and now they are the top organization in the NBA.

Before Theo. Same could be said for Cubs. Just goes to show. You hire the right people and any organization can turnaround within 4-5 years but you have to hit on draft picks. Just like Polian with Colts. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Before Theo. Same could be said for Cubs. Just goes to show. You hire the right people and any organization can turnaround within 4-5 years but you have to hit on draft picks. Just like Polian with Colts. 

It also helps to have unlimited money to spend as well.  To me for the NBA to fix some of the problems they need to go to a hard cap.  I know this won't happen but they need contract 6-10 teams so more teams can have better players.  Even if the Pacers wanted to keep PG they couldn't really afford to.  the Pacers just can't pay one play almost 40 million dollars and expect to field a quality team around him.  PG's contract can expand to being 7yrs/295 million and the Pacers just can't afford that type of contract.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny that Golden St is the top organization now since they use to be the laughing stock of the league not that long ago.  They use to be the Sacramento Kings of the NBA and now they are the top organization in the NBA.

People get frustrated at times by the NBA and the free agent formation of superteams  (not to mention the draft lottery and how it rewards losing/luck) but it's important to remember that the Warriors nucleus was created through the draft picks that were not exceptionally high.  We all know they got a huge boost from Durant, but the initial success was created in a way most sports fans should appreciate.  

edit- I just saw the Warriors got Cousins.  Ok- now I hate them

1 minute ago, Blazin Hazin said:

People get frustrated at times by the NBA and the free agent formation of superteams  (not to mention the draft lottery and how it rewards losing/luck) but it's important to remember that the Warriors nucleus was created through the draft picks that were not exceptionally high.  We all know they got a huge boost from Durant, but the initial success was created in a way most sports fans should appreciate.  

I understand that but the difference is that when those players who were drafted become superstars some teams can keep them and others have to trade them or risk losing them to free agency.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It also helps to have unlimited money to spend as well.  To me for the NBA to fix some of the problems they need to go to a hard cap.  I know this won't happen but they need contract 6-10 teams so more teams can have better players.  Even if the Pacers wanted to keep PG they couldn't really afford to.  the Pacers just can't pay one play almost 40 million dollars and expect to field a quality team around him.  PG's contract can expand to being 7yrs/295 million and the Pacers just can't afford that type of contract.

Yes they can. The Simons just don't want to pay the luxury tax. There's another Indianapolis team that has no problem spending money; it's not Indy being a small market that is the problem with the Pacers spending. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes they can. The Simons just don't want to pay the luxury tax. There's another Indianapolis team that has no problem spending money; it's not Indy being a small market that is the problem with the Pacers spending. 

Pacers revenue is not what the bigger markets have so yes money is a problem.  There is no way the pacers could afford to have their payroll be around 300 million which is what golden St. will be after next year if they resign Thompson and Green.  Also in the NFL there is a hard cap and even a flooring on how much you spend so each team has to spend a certain amount of money.  It also helps that all the revenue generated by the NFL is shared equally by each team.

The 14 teams that lost on pure net income were the Bucks, Grizzlies, Hawks, Hornets, Kings, Magic, Nets, Pacers, Pelicans, Pistons, Suns, Timberwolves, Trail Blazers and Wizards.

This is from SI and this was for the 2016-17 season and it shows that Pacers are one of 14 teams lost money on pure net income.  What does these team have in common? they are all small market teams except for the Nets.

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The 14 teams that lost on pure net income were the Bucks, Grizzlies, Hawks, Hornets, Kings, Magic, Nets, Pacers, Pelicans, Pistons, Suns, Timberwolves, Trail Blazers and Wizards.

This is from SI and this was for the 2016-17 season and it shows that Pacers are one of 14 teams lost money on pure net income.  What does these team have in common? they are all small market teams except for the Nets.

Wizards are small market? 

Archived