General NBA Thread

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Leaf is a better reb than you'd think though. Numbers are good. 

He is still young and getting stronger. Maybe he could buy you some minutes as a stretch 4 but I didn’t see lateral quickness to help on pick n roll. Just looks like a guy we would develop for a few years than let go and someone else get most out of. I haven’t given up..just several guys I was higher on when he was picked. I was begging to move up and get Mitchell when he fell out of top 10 I wanted to go get him his athleticism and wing span I loved him.

33 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Poor guy will forever be known as the Pacer picked when OG Anunoby was available.  Not many mistakes made by the current front office so that one sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yes I mean OG was a perfect fit into our team especially with his defensive ability to become a perfect 3-d player to take PGs place. I also like Kuzma and Collins. Heck even Hart wouldn’t have been an awful fit. That frustrates me more than Leaf..what we passed on. Now we just went out and got Mcbuckets who will fill a similar role off bench as Leaf. I just wonder if the Dipo/Sabonis trade covers for Pritchard if he doesn’t do more with Lebron gone out of the East now.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Oh no doubt...it’s why college basketball is so wonderful and frustrating all in one. March madness is full of such hope...yet you can also be the better team and get upset. The NBA is hard for me to watch. Regular season is almost worthless. Like GS will coast and then when playoffs come it won’t be even close...but it would make the underdog story so powerful if they face say Indy or anyone from the East really. Last couple years have not been great...hard to have an underdog playing against Lebron.

You are a person of my own heart..... college game is my game. For the reasons you have stated. 

Gotta say, your posts have impressed me,  since your  joining Hoosier Sports Nation. Happy to have you as a member.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Thanks. I’ve lurked for awhile...then had issues signing up but glad to be here. I’ve posted for a long time on the Colts forums but wanted a place that followed our Hoosiers a little closer. It’s an exciting time again and I’ve been pretty depressed living in Kentucky listening to these low basketball IQ fans talk about their Cats and admitting I was a Hoosier fan was hard. But with Crean gone I am confident we will be back at the top where we belong lol.

If you had just said you’ve been depressed living in KY we’d understand.

😁

Welcome

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If you had just said you’ve been depressed living in KY we’d understand.

😁

Welcome

Yep. After living in Indiana for 30 years watching good high school basketball and being spoiled watching IU through the 80s and 90s my last 10 years here in Kentucky has been frustrating. Don’t get me wrong Paducah and KY lake hunting and fishing is great...and love my wife I met...but listening to these guys talk about basketball makes me want to shoot myself sometimes lol. And they think their yearly assassins they recruit care about Kentucky and representing the University is laughable. Every team will go 40-0 they think. They have a good team this year with some coming back and a nice senior transfer...just hope we can break their hearts in the tourney again!

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You are a person of my own heart..... college game is my game. For the reasons you have stated. 

Gotta say, your posts have impressed me,  since your  joining Hoosier Sports Nation. Happy to have you as a member.

Thanks...the insider knowledge of the recruiting and team is impressive on this site. It’s a main reason for joining because it’s hard to get good news down here! Happy 4th you all!

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep. After living in Indiana for 30 years watching good high school basketball and being spoiled watching IU through the 80s and 90s my last 10 years here in Kentucky has been frustrating. Don’t get me wrong Paducah and KY lake hunting and fishing is great...and love my wife I met...but listening to these guys talk about basketball makes me want to shoot myself sometimes lol. And they think their yearly assassins they recruit care about Kentucky and representing the University is laughable. Every team will go 40-0 they think. They have a good team this year with some coming back and a nice senior transfer...just hope we can break their hearts in the tourney again!

"Walmart Wildcats"!

11 hours ago, rico said:

"Walmart Wildcats"!

Ha! I could fill a whole thread with those! Lucky now Walmart has pickup now so I never have to go inside. Wife orders what she wants and I pick it up. We try to shop anywhere but Walmart but sometimes it’s the only option....and yes I would see something I wish I could unseen every time.

So back to NBA do most think Evans is the last of the bigger moves for the Pacers besides guys to fill out the roster? Pritchard talked about the trade market being active and implied where we might make a move...so do we think Collison and Bogs who have expiring deals could be used in a trade for a starting SF? With Lebron out of the East and most of the teams standing pat I think this is a great opportunity to make a move. Or does everyone think we just take 50 million of cap space into next offseason when everyone else has room as well.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So back to NBA do most think Evans is the last of the bigger moves for the Pacers besides guys to fill out the roster? Pritchard talked about the trade market being active and implied where we might make a move...so do we think Collison and Bogs who have expiring deals could be used in a trade for a starting SF? With Lebron out of the East and most of the teams standing pat I think this is a great opportunity to make a move. Or does everyone think we just take 50 million of cap space into next offseason when everyone else has room as well.

I don't think they're done yet and Collison is on the table. That Evans pick up big, I think it takes the P's up a rung in the East, but they can continue to get better. 

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Pacers were not a Championship team last season, but man, were they fun to watch.  Knowing they are not going to be a Championship team this season either, I selfishly would like to see the core of the team back.  Even with LeBron gone, the Celtics will very likely be too much in he East.  

I too think you can stand pat and see how these guys continue to develop.  I'm trying to think who would we even want in a trade that is starter material?  There is a lot of young talent in the league.  May be better to wait it out on more year and try and identify an up and comer that fits.  

40 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I too think you can stand pat and see how these guys continue to develop.  I'm trying to think who would we even want in a trade that is starter material?  There is a lot of young talent in the league.  May be better to wait it out on more year and try and identify an up and comer that fits.  

I think that’s the route we likely go. I know a lot of people talk about Otto Porter Jr. Guys on teams that are over the cap and looking to get out of the luxury tax or need to shake things up. Think Washington has Oubre and some other options if they chose to go and try to clear out cap space for next offseason. As it stands now we have some expiring deals we could take on a long term contract if a team wanted cap space next year. I just don’t have faith we could really land another all star to pair with Dipo next offseason...probably just pay our own guys and make more marginal improvements like this year. It’s why I’d rather take a swing now while Victor is entering his prime.

Where's the Pacers are now, for possible future acquisitions - $4.4 M midlevel exception

ind.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

INDIANA PACERS

Summer transactions: Aaron Holiday (draft), Alize Johnson (draft), Doug McDermott (three years, $22 million) and Tyreke Evans (one year, $12 million)

Cap-space breakdown

• The Pacers are right at the cap after the Doug McDermott and Tyreke Evans signings.

Exceptions: $4.4 million (room midlevel)

Current free agents: Trevor Booker (non-Bird) and Joe Young (Bird)

Players under contract: 12

Depth Chart

PG SG SF PF C
D. Collison V. Oladipo B. Bogdanovic T. Young M. Turner
C. Joseph   D. McDermott T. Leaf D. Sabonis
A. Holiday     A. Poythress (NG) I. Anigbogu (NG)
NG = Non-guaranteed contract      

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Where's the Pacers are now, for possible future acquisitions - $4.4 M midlevel exception

ind.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

INDIANA PACERS

Summer transactions: Aaron Holiday (draft), Alize Johnson (draft), Doug McDermott (three years, $22 million) and Tyreke Evans (one year, $12 million)

Cap-space breakdown

• The Pacers are right at the cap after the Doug McDermott and Tyreke Evans signings.

Exceptions: $4.4 million (room midlevel)

Current free agents: Trevor Booker (non-Bird) and Joe Young (Bird)

Players under contract: 12

Depth Chart

PG SG SF PF C
D. Collison V. Oladipo B. Bogdanovic T. Young M. Turner
C. Joseph   D. McDermott T. Leaf D. Sabonis
A. Holiday     A. Poythress (NG) I. Anigbogu (NG)
NG = Non-guaranteed contract      

There's actually 13 on the roster currently. That chart isn't showing Evans.

I wouldn't mind us either bringing back Booker or looking at Vonleh. Vonleh and Leaf could split time as the backup 4, depending on what we need that particular game. If it's offense, go with Leaf, if it is defense/rebounding go Noah. 

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There's actually 13 on the roster currently. That chart isn't showing Evans.

I wouldn't mind us either bringing back Booker or looking at Vonleh. Vonleh and Leaf could split time as the backup 4, depending on what we need that particular game. If it's offense, go with Leaf, if it is defense/rebounding go Noah. 

It doesn't show Alize Johnson either.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Trae Young playing like a bust...also had a Grayson encounter.  Grayson looking like he wants the Bill Laimbeer award.

We won't know for at least a full season and maybe 2....but I have a hit list of folks who attacked my opinion when in January/February I said Trae Young game/size won't translate to NBA. Time will tell.

I'm usually against everything Grayson does....except that play.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We won't know for at least a full season and maybe 2....but I have a hit list of folks who attacked my opinion when in January/February I said Trae Young game/size won't translate to NBA. Time will tell.

I'm usually against everything Grayson does....except that play.

I was relatively high on Young, but 3-24 from three and 12-52 from the field through three summer league games is... not good.  If his shot isn’t falling, he’s basically worthless.

But that doesn’t change the fact that Allen was still acting like a punk as usual in that dust-up with Young.  I can’t wait till he tries to pull something like that on a vet.

Young scored at an amazing rate in college, but scoring in the NBA, even summer league, is a different animal. Kid can shoot, but he has to keep developing his game to create space at the NBA level. I wouldn't write him off yet, if he figures that out, and particularly in this guard-friendly era, he will score and score well. Question is whether he can develop to create space. 

Archived