General NBA Thread

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Pacers sign Kyle OQuinn to 4.5m 1 year deal. KP has dominated this offseason again. 

Joe Young, Al Jeff, GR3, Lance turned into Holiday, Kyle O'Quinn, McDermott, and Evans. Big time upgrades. 

Quoting this because I think this is a big pick up! He is a nice big that will bang and rebound. Love his attitude! We didn’t land a star that a lot of us wanted but our bench is DEEP! I think we may have had the best offseason of anyone in the east.

My only concern is we will only have like 3 non-rookies under contract next year. While we may have 58-64 million in cap space (and a good chunk would likely go to re-signing Myles) we would be fielding an almost completely new team. Plus there will be a lot more teams with max level openings to compete against. KP talked big about trades but I’ve not seen much in that regard. This looks like the team we role with.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's good news for OKC, and seemed likely with a tax bill over $150M....

Maybe if he is stretched and waived he can sign with GS and him and Boogie can bring the collapse of the Warriors lol. More likely he ends up in LA though lol...Lebron and the band of misfits.

27 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kind of sad to see the old Spurs greats breaking up, with Parker to the Hornets and Kawhi looking to move on, the almost 2 decade playoff run of the Spurs and Pops' dominance may be coming to an end.

Kawhi thing is weird

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Kawhi thing is weird

He hasn't entered the category of getting strippers pregnant not once but twice phase....but Kawhi is getting very close to almost handling everything completely wrong for 1 full year since his injury. Pretty hard to go ofer in the world of public opinion. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kind of sad to see the old Spurs greats breaking up, with Parker to the Hornets and Kawhi looking to move on, the almost 2 decade playoff run of the Spurs and Pops' dominance may be coming to an end.

The Parker move did raise my eyebrow.

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

He hasn't entered the category of getting strippers pregnant not once but twice phase....but Kawhi is getting very close to almost handling everything completely wrong for 1 full year since his injury. Pretty hard to go ofer in the world of public opinion. 

Yeah not sure what to make of him. His people act like he wants to lead his own team in LA (maybe Clipppers?) but what kind of leader says nothing for a year and leaks everything out through his agent and hanger ons? Impossible to read the situation. One thing we know is that you don’t have to be forced into trading with someone your player wants to go to and that if you do your scouting well you can find diamonds even when everyone else thinks you lost the trade.

Three consecutive plays for Cleveland...Dakota Mathias (1) posterized, (2) stuffed on a layup attempt and (3) again abused on defense for an easy putback.  I never bought into the elite defender hype he got but if he had it in college, it doesn't appear to translate.

Some of the GBI members are comically optimistic about his chances in the league.

44 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Three consecutive plays for Cleveland...Dakota Mathias (1) posterized, (2) stuffed on a layup attempt and (3) again abused on defense for an easy putback.  I never bought into the elite defender hype he got but if he had it in college, it doesn't appear to translate.

Some of the GBI members are comically optimistic about his chances in the league.

Lol, I remember you being involved in the debate over Mathias’ defensive prowess last season.  Glad to see you’ve been vindicated.  Anyone who thinks that kid is ever going to see a single second in an NBA game is delusional.  None of the IU or Purdue players that graduated in 2018 are going to be NBA players.

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, I remember you being involved in the debate over Mathias’ defensive prowess last season.  Glad to see you’ve been vindicated.  Anyone who thinks that kid is ever going to see a single second in an NBA game is delusional.  None of the IU or Purdue players that graduated in 2018 are going to be NBA players.

Oh there will be some who still insist he's an elite defender, or at least was in college.  I won't deny he played hard in college, but I always saw him as pretty physically limited and enough speed and athleticism would eventually expose his limitations.  He got abused in college as well...saw plenty of examples, but nothing like he's getting abused in summer league.  Even the GBIers are hopeful that he'll be an "adequate" defender.

Collin Sexton just made an impressive and-one.  Players of that caliber will make players like Mathias look Y-league ready. Dakota may make a few dollars overseas, but hopefully, he got a useful degree while he was at Purdue.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really don't get this on the Raptors side because they are giving up two pretty good players for a one year rental.  I see NO way that Leonard will stay IN Toronto next year Toronto will be up the creek.

There is more than one potential answer and side to this.

On Kawhi as a one-year rental, there was "no way" PG was going to stay with the Thunder, everyone knew he was going to the Lakers. Except, he didn't, and his coming there sealed the deal for Westbrook re-upping. 

Both DeRozan and Lowry had 2 years left on their contracts. This was a move one year in advance, a roll of the dice. 

That one year rental is one of the top 3 players in the League, if he's healthy. They also got a sharp shooter in Green. Are they better? Probably. Will it pan out? Who knows.

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

On Kawhi as a one-year rental, there was "no way" PG was going to stay with the Thunder, everyone knew he was going to the Lakers. Except, he didn't, and his coming there sealed the deal for Westbrook re-upping. 

Both DeRozan and Lowry had 2 years left on their contracts. This was a move one year in advance, a roll of the dice. 

That one year rental is one of the top 3 players in the League, if he's healthy. They also got a sharp shooter in Green. Are they better? Probably. Will it pan out? Who knows.

Top 3 in the league?  Lebron, Durant, Steph, Harden, and ADavis all say hi.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Probably better for OG - Raps now a contender in the East assuming K is healthy, OG gets to play / learn from a top 3 player / 2-way player, and the Spurs are now on their way down 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We’re on the exact same page with this.  I initially thought it would be cool to see OG in SA, but then I realized that he has a much better chance to be playing in the finals next season with Toronto.  SA will be a first or second round out with DeRozan and Aldridge next season.  With Kawhi (if healthy), the Raptors have to be viewed as one of the favorites in the East along with Boston and Philly.

And this is a great move for Toronto any way you slice it.  Poeltl is a role player, and the pick will be a late first rounder at best.  DeRozan is trash.  Good regular season scorer, but that’s it.  Doesn’t play D, mentally weak, and won’t win you anything in the playoffs.  Raptors had to make a move to get to the next level, and this was it.  If they make the Finals with Kawhi next year, there’s a good chance he stays (similar to the situation with PG in OKC, as you mentioned).  If he leaves anyway, they hit the reset button and start rebuilding.  Either way, they weren’t winning anything with DeRozan in the next two years.  This trade allows them to become legit contenders next season, and if they can convince him to stay, for the foreseeable future.  Well worth what they gave up.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Lebron and Durant are the only two of those players clearly better than Kawhi when healthy.  There’s an argument for Davis over Kawhi, and maybe Steph, even though Kawhi is a wayyy better two-way player.  Harden, no way.

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Like FW, I disagree. Kawhi is behind LeBron and Durant. Davis? Maybe. Harden, uh, no. Steph? Maybe. 

Kawhi is a 2-time Defensive POY, a Finals MVP, and (healthy) the best two-way player in the League (though Durant made inroads into that position this year). He is regarded by literally everyone at least top 5. You want to quibble over Steph and Davis, have at it, regardless he's clearly one of the very best in the League, and a million times better than DeRozan.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think that this is a win/win for Toronto.  If they somehow manage to keep Kawhi, the that is fantastic, if he leaves, then they open up cap space a year earlier for a team that had already peaked most likely with DeRozan.  They other scenario is they end up trading Kawhi to some other team, most likely the Lakers, and pull in some of their young talent and maybe picks to team up with their already young core of players. 

Archived