General NBA Thread

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would take Kawhi ahead of anyone other than LeBron. If we are talking long term.. I would take Davis then Kawhi.

I just question Leonard after this year and how he seemed to quit on the team this year.  Usually a quad injury does not put you out for most of the year so I question his passion for the game.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just question Leonard after this year and how he seemed to quit on the team this year.  Usually a quad injury does not put you out for most of the year so I question his passion for the game.

His play on the court. Simply his play. I question Durants competitiveness, still good though. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes. Not big on KD. 

Man, idk.  He’s probably the best scorer league, and has turned into a pretty good defender and elite rim protector.  I’m going with him over Kawhi every time, especially with Kawhi coming off that injury.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Man, idk.  He’s probably the best scorer league, and has turned into a pretty good defender and elite rim protector.  I’m going with him over Kawhi every time, especially with Kawhi coming off that injury.

Kawhi avged 26 and is the best perimeter defender there is. If healthy.. he does more for winning than KD imo. I think KD team makes him looks way better because he's always comfortable.. never has to worry. 

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kawhi avged 26 and is the best perimeter defender there is. If healthy.. he does more for winning than KD imo. I think KD team makes him looks way better because he's always comfortable.. never has to worry. 

Eh, I think that’s more just the narrative since he went to Golden State than anything... He took OKC to finals in 2012 and had Golden State dead to rights in 2016.  The guy is on another level from Kawhi as a scorer, and I don’t think Kawhi’s perimeter defense really makes up for that.  Also have to take into account that Kawhi has always been a system player... Will be interesting to see how he does outside SA.

49 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Eh, I think that’s more just the narrative since he went to Golden State than anything... He took OKC to finals in 2012 and had Golden State dead to rights in 2016.  The guy is on another level from Kawhi as a scorer, and I don’t think Kawhi’s perimeter defense really makes up for that.  Also have to take into account that Kawhi has always been a system player... Will be interesting to see how he does outside SA.

Yeah he's a better scorer. I am just not big on Durant.. I cant judge him on what he's doing in GS at all. It's all cheap. I would look good playing with them. 

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let's wait and see if Kawhi embraces Toronto before we annoint him as the best thing since sliced bread.  All the talent in the world means nothing without the right attitude.

We know that. This is all assuming Kawhi is in the right state of mind. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don't think you were following the story. Kawhi's team of doctors diagnosed the injury one way, requiring that he not play, and the Spurs' doctors diagnosed it another, to get him back on the court for them. That created the controversy and friction between Kawhi and the Spurs, including Parker. He did not "quit on the team," he followed his doctor's advice, for an unusual, recurring injury that, per his doctors, could end his career had he played.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yeah he's a better scorer. I am just not big on Durant.. I cant judge him on what he's doing in GS at all. It's all cheap. I would look good playing with them. 

I can't stand Durant. Am disgusted at the way he ran off to join the team he couldn't beat, after whiffing on that Conf Finals lead. And I do not question your putting Kawhi ahead of him, when healthy many had him right there with LeBron. But Durant, as much as I can't stand him, is playing now at a level that fairly puts him right behind LeBron (still, a matter of opinion at the end of the day).

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Don't think you were following the story. Kawhi's team of doctors diagnosed the injury one way, requiring that he not play, and the Spurs' doctors diagnosed it another, to get him back on the court for them. That created the controversy and friction between Kawhi and the Spurs, including Parker. He did not "quit on the team," he followed his doctor's advice, for an unusual, recurring injury that, per his doctors, could end his career had he played.

In a dispute between doctor's, I'm going to side with the Spurs' physician.  All Kawhi has to do is ask his doctor to embellish the injury.  It's evident he did not want to play and he didn't.  The Spurs had much less of a reason to stretch the truth than Kawhi.  If there was any doubt it could damage his career, there is no way they would have cleared him to play.  He was their most valuable asset.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I can't stand Durant. Am disgusted at the way he ran off to join the team he couldn't beat, after whiffing on that Conf Finals lead. And I do not question your putting Kawhi ahead of him, when healthy many had him right there with LeBron. But Durant, as much as I can't stand him, is playing now at a level that fairly puts him right behind LeBron (still, a matter of opinion at the end of the day).

I don't understand the disdain for Durant on one hand and the support of PG13 and Kawhi on the other.  The one thing Durant didn't do that the other two did was actually hold his old team hostage.  In my mind, that's worse.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't understand the disdain for Durant on one hand and the support of PG13 and Kawhi on the other.  The one thing Durant didn't do that the other two did was actually hold his old team hostage.  In my mind, that's worse.

All 3 are various forms of pathetic. Durant is just weak.

PG and Kawhi clearly tried to force an organizations hand but both failed miserably in the execution. Funny thing is both organizations they are playing for now still don't make it out of the first round of the playoffs and KD will have an asterisk next to his career. 

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In a dispute between doctor's, I'm going to side with the Spurs' physician.  All Kawhi has to do is ask his doctor to embellish the injury.  It's evident he did not want to play and he didn't.  The Spurs had much less of a reason to stretch the truth than Kawhi.  If there was any doubt it could damage his career, there is no way they would have cleared him to play.  He was their most valuable asset.

I agree with this.  In the end, I think this has just turned into a convenient excuse for Kawhi to want out, when in actuality he wanted to go to LA regardless.  I find his handling of this completely awful.  Let's say that his doctor's were correct, he still needs to stand up in front of reporters like an adult, instead of filter stuff out through his people. 

Pop's track record makes it hard for me to believe that he would let the organization put their interests over the welfare of a player, if it could jeopardize his career like Leonard's people want everyone to believe.  Also, his teammates were throwing shade at him and they of all people wouldn't do so, if they felt he didn't quit on them.   He sat down and the Spur's had to pay him.  I have no respect for him.

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sports is like politics in many respects. We try not to, or we wont admit it.

But we usually judge things through the prism of who we like and who we don't.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You have it directly backwards. Team doctors notoriously find the player ready to play, because it's in the team's interest. Regardless, there was a legitimate difference of medical opinion, this is an unusual injury situation, and you're just disregarding that, or haven't actually read up on it. This isn't just Kawhi deciding not to play, come on man, that's just silly

I will say, Kawhi has come out looking pretty bad in all of this.  Putting aside the legitimacy of the injury (we’ll never know either way), he’s handled the whole situation just about as poorly as you possibly could.  No public statements from him to counter the rumors about his entourage pushing him to a bigger market, his teammates trashing him in the media, etc., etc.  And now there are reports that he’s upset about getting traded to Toronto.

He better get his act together, because there’s a lot of money at stake for him.  He’s already lost tens of millions on his next contract by forcing the trade from the Spurs, and he’ll lose even more if he’s a headache in Toronto next season.  The whole situation is just bizarre.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sports is like politics in many respects. We try not to, or we wont admit it.

But we usually judge things through the prism of who we like and who we don't.

I agree we could go back and forth with support of our side why we think one guy is wrong and another right. Why Kawhi isn’t man enough to come out and talk for himself or why we think Durant is weak because he picked the best team in the league to play for. We all have the right to our opinions but there won’t be an asterisk beside anyone’s name only in our mind. The Patriots don’t have an asterisk beside their championships Durant won’t have them beside his for wanting to play with unselfish guys that all sacrifice their own game to play for a team. So no matter who  we are talking about we all know how the saying goes...we know what opinions are like...and yes they probably stink lol...mine the worst likely.

Going to the latest trade it’s pretty interesting. Both sides made out pretty well. Toronto’s window was closing pretty fast with Boston and Philly coming on and Lowery and Ibaka aren’t young. Spurs will still be a playoff team. Heck if he won’t play in Toronto they can still move him to LA for young prospects like Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma. I didn’t think this would get this far because how tight a ship SA runs but it seems both them and New England are starting to have kinks in the armor. Looks like SA is going to try to give it another good run with Pops before tearing it all down.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I will say, Kawhi has come out looking pretty bad in all of this.  Putting aside the legitimacy of the injury (we’ll never know either way), he’s handled the whole situation just about as poorly as you possibly could.  No public statements from him to counter the rumors about his entourage pushing him to a bigger market, his teammates trashing him in the media, etc., etc.  And now there are reports that he’s upset about getting traded to Toronto.

He better get his act together, because there’s a lot of money at stake for him.  He’s already lost tens of millions on his next contract by forcing the trade from the Spurs, and he’ll lose even more if he’s a headache in Toronto next season.  The whole situation is just bizarre.

If I'm him I just come out and give a simple statement that I will give Toronto all I can each and every game this season but I will look forward to seeing everyone in LA next summer.  Blunt and honest.  He should make it clear that although the Raptors have 0 chance of resigning him he will give them all he can for one season.

18 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Kawhi is an odd cat. Thing is, he never talks -- period. It's not like he's just not talking here, he NEVER talks. The NBA insider guys say he's getting bad advice from "his people," and that he should say something, sometime, to someone, but, well, he just doesn't do that. And no question he has come off looking bad because of it, but, well, he just doesn't tallk. 

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lol, you're just pushing my buttons again. The one thing Durant didn't do? What he did -- and only he did -- was run away from the Thunder (leaving the Thunder in a way that prevented them from getting anything back, unlike PG and everyone else) like the wus that he is in order to join the team that beat him. In your mind.... lol

Archived