Jalen Blackmon

snowling

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Apparently I've forgotten what the cutoff is for 3 and 4 stars.  I understand 5 stars are top 25, but do you happen to know the cutoff for 4 stars?  I swore it was higher than that...

yeah normally 4 stars go all the way from 25 to about 130.  I wouldn't focus on these rankings too much because they are just entry rankings, players ranked 39 through 55 all have the same rating and everyone behind that has the same rating too. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Game winner tonight. 

Big rivalry game.   I know kokomo started terribly and looked bad but they also had some guys still playing football, but then again so did Marion.  

I remember watching JBJr effortlessly score about 40 in the regular season game as Marion blew them out, only to watch Kokomo full court chin guard him in sectional, while his dad got completely out coached and never did anything different to get him the ball as he finished with like 12 points in the L.  

11 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

If he plays D like his brother, no thank you. But it appears he does not, and CAM wouldn’t tolerate it anyway. We can trust CAM to make the right call. 

I’ll never forget the number of excuses fans made for his bad defense including most of the time complete lack of even effort on that end of the court. Gosh people would pull excuses out of thin air to justify why he actually was playing at least average OR why he was just too limited to be even a mediocre defender. 

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’ll never forget the number of excuses fans made for his bad defense including most of the time complete lack of even effort on that end of the court. Gosh people would pull excuses out of thin air to justify why he actually was playing at least average OR why he was just too limited to be even a mediocre defender. 

He wasn’t held accountable by Crean. It’s a quality I love about Arch—multiple unforced TOs then you’re sitting the bench ( a la Al Durham Central Arkansas). 

6 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Thanks.  I just watched a bunch of highlights of him.  The kid has a GREAT stroke, maybe better than his brother, and he looks smoother than JBJ.  Kid is going to be a stud.

There is a good video of Valpo vs Marion on YouTube.  It's about 10 minutes long.  It appeared to me that Jalen often had a hand on the ball when Newman was picking up his dribble on the way to the rim.  If I can trust my vision, he did it cleanly and it was somewhat disruptive.

11 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Yeah, I didn’t and don’t get any argument for poor D. If you’re athletic enough to be on the floor, you should be able to play solid D. It’s about effort, desire and using your brain. 

• On 12/22/2018 at 6:51 PM, Coach Robby said:

Just my opinion...well a lot of people I know too...but there’s a reason Vijay was a preferred walk on...this kid will be ours, securing a spot by taking the brother seems like it will pan out

Posted this previously.

Co-worker who is very well connected in Marion told me last year that Archie taking Vijay Blackmon on as a walk-on was essentially a package deal to ensure Jalen comes to Bloomington.

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:
  •  

Posted this previously.

Co-worker who is very well connected in Marion told me last year that Archie taking Vijay Blackmon on as a walk-on was essentially a package deal to ensure Jalen comes to Bloomington.

I like the sound of that....but I have a few issues with it. A gentleman's agreement is nice but in the world of high level college sports it just doesn't cut it imo. First off Jalen has to want to come to IU. I'm sure his dad has a big say but in the end kids will go where they want. Second, Archie has to want him as well. Blackmon's dad can say he is committed to sending Jalen there all he wants but I just don't know how much water that carries. Sounds like we should have first crack at recruiting the kid but if the kid just doesn't mesh/like what he is told about going to IU he will be the one to make that decision not his dad. To me taking his brother get's Archie preference....but doesn't seal any deal.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:
  •  

Posted this previously.

Yeah, thought I had seen it earlier, too lazy to click back haha 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I like the sound of that....but I have a few issues with it. A gentleman's agreement is nice but in the world of high level college sports it just doesn't cut it imo. First off Jalen has to want to come to IU. I'm sure his dad has a big say but in the end kids will go where they want. Second, Archie has to want him as well. Blackmon's dad can say he is committed to sending Jalen there all he wants but I just don't know how much water that carries. Sounds like we should have first crack at recruiting the kid but if the kid just doesn't mesh/like what he is told about going to IU he will be the one to make that decision not his dad. To me taking his brother get's Archie preference....but doesn't seal any deal.

A lot of I’s In this post. 

What is the difference between preferred walk on and walk on?

Also, most kids with Vijay’s skills would be welcome at any school as a walk on. So why does Archie taking him make it any better for Jalen? It’s not like Vijay had a scholarship offer from us. I get why Archie would take Vijay in hopes that we keep things on good terms with Blackmons. I’m just saying securing a spot might be a stretch.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:52 AM, Steubenhoosier said:
  •  

Posted this previously.

In this day and age of recruiting,i dont trust anything..if it works out that way great but i think i will sit back and see what happens..i have heard too many times someone was going to commit only to still be waiting

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

What is the difference between preferred walk on and walk on?

A preferred walk on is a recruit that has been recruited, and offered a spot on the team, without a scholarship.

A regular walk on, has not been recruited.  Demonstrates his skills, by walking on an is given a uni.

Neither walkon, unless the rules have changed recently is able to eat free of charge at any of the training tables.

Now.... an academic scholarship player can walk on.... only if he has never been recruited by the school. Michael Jordan's son was able to walk on at Illinois as an academic scholarship player, only because Bruce Weber never recruited him.

Archived