Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


snowling

Jalen Blackmon

Recommended Posts

My favorite part of the video in the link is after young Jalen scores falling to the ground out of bounds and behind the basket, he jumps to his feet and sprints to get back on defense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Ha.  Waste of time Kelvin.

A good chunk of people think he is going to be a mid major recruit.  Don’t think it is a waste for Kelvin.  

Edited by IU_Realist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

A good chunk of people think he is going to be a mid major recruit.  Don’t think it is a waste for Kelvin.  

Everything I've seen has him as top 50 recruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Everything I've seen has him as top 50 recruit.

If he was a top 50 kid, he would have better offers already as a bunch of high majors are already offering for 2021.  Most people I chat with think he is mid major.  We will see. 

Edited by IU_Realist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

If he was a top 50 kid, he would have better offers already as a bunch of high majors are already offering for 2021.  Most people I chat with think he is mid major.  We will see. 

What is the point of this?  He is a kid.  Where was Michael Jordan at this stage in his high school career?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, rico said:

What is the point of this?  He is a kid.  Where was Michael Jordan at this stage in his high school career?

My point was someone saying Sampson doesn’t have a chance.  A lot of coaches are taking the wait and see approach.  All high majors.  Who has offered Blackmon right now?  Right now, most consider him a mid major that’s the point.  

Edited by IU_Realist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

My point was someone saying Sampson doesn’t have a chance.  A lot of coaches are taking the wait and see approach.  All high majors.  Who has offered Blackmon right now?  Right now, most consider him a mid major that’s the point.  

Fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

My point was someone saying Sampson doesn’t have a chance.  A lot of coaches are taking the wait and see approach.  All high majors.  Who has offered Blackmon right now?  Right now, most consider him a mid major that’s the point.  

No they don’t.  Coaches are starting to offer kids later unless they are obviously a top 10 kid.  Jalen has a very good chance at being the best Blackmon of the bunch, because he plays defense along with shooting it well. His offers will boom next summer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't hold what Sampson did at Oklahoma and IU against him, in terms of his ability to coach.  At IU, he recruited some suspicious characters.  But, we know that the Blackmon family does not fall into that category.  And.... the family knows one thing..... Sampson can coach.  Therefore, I feel there is more than a chance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

He’s a at worst a top 75 recruit.  IU will take him barring a major setback.

Hard to tell at an young age just like the youngest Gordon was thought to be major recruit when he was younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hard to tell at an young age just like the youngest Gordon was thought to be major recruit when he was younger.

True that, but there is no denying that coaches look at the "gene pool" aspect.  Some pan out, some don't.  But expectations are always high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gene pool for sure, but also, when your parent is an expert, you get every advantage from childhood on as to how to develop every aspect required to be a college player.  I have read that the Blackmon's built a basketball court in their basement.  These are huge advantages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Gene pool for sure, but also, when your parent is an expert, you get every advantage from childhood on as to how to develop every aspect required to be a college player.  I have read that the Blackmon's built a basketball court in their basement.  These are huge advantages.

Unless they really dug that basement deep, I'm envisioning a very flat shot development...😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Hard to tell at an young age just like the youngest Gordon was thought to be major recruit when he was younger.

Eron certainly didnt have a FR year like Jalen did.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted this previously.

Co-worker who is very well connected in Marion told me last year that Archie taking Vijay Blackmon on as a walk-on was essentially a package deal to ensure Jalen comes to Bloomington.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Posted this previously.

Co-worker who is very well connected in Marion told me last year that Archie taking Vijay Blackmon on as a walk-on was essentially a package deal to ensure Jalen comes to Bloomington.

 

I don't know how that would work? He didn't give Vijay a scholly so how is that helping the family? I would not be opposed to Jalen coming to play for us. We can definitely use the shooting! Even if that is all he ever grew developed to having a specialty player come off the bench and create space with his shooting is huge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't know how that would work? He didn't give Vijay a scholly so how is that helping the family? I would not be opposed to Jalen coming to play for us. We can definitely use the shooting! Even if that is all he ever grew developed to having a specialty player come off the bench and create space with his shooting is huge!

IIRC, Vijay was at the University of St Francis, an NAIA school in Ft Wayne. From what I have been told, he wore out his welcome there about halfway through his freshman year. Needed a place to land where he could work on improving his game.

You are right... no scholarship. Not sure that the family really needs the financial help. However, Vijay's circumstances were improved greatly--  moving from an NAIA program to a blue blood . As well, Archie would have had little to no shot with Jalen had he turned down Vijay.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IIRC, Vijay was at the University of St Francis, an NAIA school in Ft Wayne. From what I have been told, he wore out his welcome there about halfway through his freshman year. Needed a place to land where he could work on improving his game.

You are right... no scholarship. Not sure that the family really needs the financial help. However, Vijay's circumstances were improved greatly--  moving from an NAIA program to a blue blood . As well, Archie would have had little to no shot with Jalen had he turned down Vijay.

Thanks for the info. Maybe he will learn enough to make a living playing ball in China or somewhere. If all it took was to make him a water boy to lock up a top 100 recruit then sign me up!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

247sports just ranked a bunch of new recruits for the class of 2021 and Jalen comes in at #73.

And a 3*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×