Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


snowling

Jalen Blackmon

Recommended Posts

Not a lot of upside in a 6'0 SG. Good offensive player, body a long way to go, defensively not totally interested. 

I think mid-major is probably a good level for him in due time. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, IU_Realist said:

My point was someone saying Sampson doesn’t have a chance.  A lot of coaches are taking the wait and see approach.  All high majors.  Who has offered Blackmon right now?  Right now, most consider him a mid major that’s the point.  

Yup said the same thing awhile ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IU is getting back to being what IU is very quickly. Quicker than maybe even Archie realized he could do. Blue bloods take guys with amazing upside. Idk this kid and haven’t seen him play, but I believe Archie is going to have a lot of players to choose from from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Not a lot of upside in a 6'0 SG. Good offensive player, body a long way to go, defensively not totally interested. 

I think mid-major is probably a good level for him in due time. 

Hmm...sounds like Steph Curry....good thing Davidson took a chance on him.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hmm...sounds like Steph Curry....good thing Davidson took a chance on him.

Sounds like Steph Curry??  Go back and check out the two bloodlines.  The similarities are few, in my humble opinion.  

Edited by jv1972iu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, milehiiu said:

A preferred walk on is a recruit that has been recruited, and offered a spot on the team, without a scholarship.

A regular walk on, has not been recruited.  Demonstrates his skills, by walking on an is given a uni.

Neither walkon, unless the rules have changed recently is able to eat free of charge at any of the training tables.

Now.... an academic scholarship player can walk on.... only if he has never been recruited by the school. Michael Jordan's son was able to walk on at Illinois as an academic scholarship player, only because Bruce Weber never recruited him.

Rules changed, all kids eat free, even walk ons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Curry was 6’3”

Point being he was unathletic...couldn’t play defense....and not physically gifted...maybe 180 lbs with horrible ankles. It’s amazing that they even let kids like that even on the court. Basketball should only be played by guys over 6’0. Lord knows shooting is out dated and only bigs matter. The day an age of guards dominating college basketball is long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Sounds like Steph Curry??  Go back and check out the two bloodlines.  The similarities are few, in my humble opinion.  

I’m not trying to say they are. Just that basketball continues to evolve. A smaller player can definitely still have an impact. Especially as an upper class man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Rules changed, all kids eat free, even walk ons.

I'm glad to hear that. It seemed pretty crappy for walk-ons to get nothing for the hours they spend in the gym.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to say they are. Just that basketball continues to evolve. A smaller player can definitely still have an impact. Especially as an upper class man.

Ok...a valid point.  I misinterpreted your comment.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to say they are. Just that basketball continues to evolve. A smaller player can definitely still have an impact. Especially as an upper class man.

I get your argument and absolutely are there diamonds in the rough and if a coach has a way of determining how to find them semi consistently then I’m all for it. But to simply say anytime a kid isn’t ranked high or is short that he “could” be the next 1/10,000 recruit, isn’t a rational justification for going after him.

For every Oladipo there’s hundreds of athletic project wing guys who never become much of anything.

sidenote: I do give some credit to Crean for finding Oladipo but I always put an * next to that sentiment for Crean. He had a fixation with wings and signed any kid he could who was a great athlete and was raw hoping to make the next project out of it. I’d argue many teams suffered at other positions for his desire to keep looking for that next wing. But I digress.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Not a lot of upside in a 6'0 SG. Good offensive player, body a long way to go, defensively not totally interested. 

I think mid-major is probably a good level for him in due time. 

I don’t doubt you are in the know.. I’m just going to say this kid will be good enough to play in any major conference when it’s all said and done. I just hope if Jalen does not end up at IU,  that hopefully he lands somewhere else than the Big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Ok...a valid point.  I misinterpreted your comment.  

No problem I know Steph Curry is a 1/100000 player but simply the game is moving to more perimeter and guard orientated. We are seeing smaller guards in NCAA have more and more success. Guys like Napier and Kemba and Burks and Young. A kid like Blackmon can absolutely carve out a significant role on a B1G team imo if he continues to progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hmm...sounds like Steph Curry....good thing Davidson took a chance on him.

Or he could be like the youngest Gordon who when he was younger was thought to be a big time recruit but never really developed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dgambill said:

No problem I know Steph Curry is a 1/100000 player but simply the game is moving to more perimeter and guard orientated. We are seeing smaller guards in NCAA have more and more success. Guys like Napier and Kemba and Burks and Young. A kid like Blackmon can absolutely carve out a significant role on a B1G team imo if he continues to progress.

True, the game IS moving in that direction, but the number of small guard/perimeter pro players is still pretty low, I believe.  Size matters in the pro game, more so than in college.  Every kid who is thinking about an nba career and is 6'5" and up is working on his 3 pt shot.  In Blackmon's case...well, there must be some reason that CoachSS is making the statement he made.  But I get your point...the kid looks good at this stage and he can shoot...which IU needs at the moment.  Tried to get a count on the number of nba players under 6'4"...and I think I was wrong.  The percentage may be low...but there appear to be a larger number than I thought.  So, I stand corrected.  😁

Edited by jv1972iu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

True, the game IS moving in that direction, but the number of small guard/perimeter pro players is still pretty low, I believe.  Size matters in the pro game, more so than in college.  Every kid who is thinking about an nba career and is 6'5" and up is working on his 3 pt shot.  In Blackmon's case...well, there must be some reason that CoachSS is making the statement he made.  But I get your point...the kid looks good at this stage and he can shoot...which IU needs at the moment.  Tried to get a count on the number of nba players under 6'4"...and I think I was wrong.  The percentage may be low...but there appear to be a larger number than I thought.  So, I stand corrected.  😁

Yeah...we could use a guy even off the bench that could really stress the defense from outside. I’m not so focused on NBA because of pick and roll and matchups size can be exploited in defensive matchups but college 6’0 to me is not a huge problem. Now if he won’t play defense I get it Archie won’t recruit that kid but we’ve heard he is a willing and even decent defender. Guess I’m just curious as to why Archie won’t recruit him if it’s just his size...but of course we know Coach has a pulse on the team but I find it strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

You can only become a preferred walk on if you were never recruited.  

Image result for eddie murphy tap his head

All due respect I think the chances of that are slim and none...and Slim just left town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All due respect I think the chances of that are slim and none...and Slim just left town.

Can't walk on if he's recruited.  His brother is a walk on.  1+1=2.  

But you are most likely correct.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HSRecruitingNews said:

Scored his 1,000 point tonight... fastest to ever do it.

Imagine that. How many years would it take someone on this team to score 1,000 pts lol. Congrats to the kid. I hope he gets an offer dispite what others say.

Edited by dgambill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...