Jalen Blackmon

snowling

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, IU_Realist said:

My point was someone saying Sampson doesn’t have a chance.  A lot of coaches are taking the wait and see approach.  All high majors.  Who has offered Blackmon right now?  Right now, most consider him a mid major that’s the point.  

Yup said the same thing awhile ago.  

On 12/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, milehiiu said:

A preferred walk on is a recruit that has been recruited, and offered a spot on the team, without a scholarship.

A regular walk on, has not been recruited.  Demonstrates his skills, by walking on an is given a uni.

Neither walkon, unless the rules have changed recently is able to eat free of charge at any of the training tables.

Now.... an academic scholarship player can walk on.... only if he has never been recruited by the school. Michael Jordan's son was able to walk on at Illinois as an academic scholarship player, only because Bruce Weber never recruited him.

Rules changed, all kids eat free, even walk ons.

12 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Curry was 6’3”

Point being he was unathletic...couldn’t play defense....and not physically gifted...maybe 180 lbs with horrible ankles. It’s amazing that they even let kids like that even on the court. Basketball should only be played by guys over 6’0. Lord knows shooting is out dated and only bigs matter. The day an age of guards dominating college basketball is long gone.

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Sounds like Steph Curry??  Go back and check out the two bloodlines.  The similarities are few, in my humble opinion.  

I’m not trying to say they are. Just that basketball continues to evolve. A smaller player can definitely still have an impact. Especially as an upper class man.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to say they are. Just that basketball continues to evolve. A smaller player can definitely still have an impact. Especially as an upper class man.

I get your argument and absolutely are there diamonds in the rough and if a coach has a way of determining how to find them semi consistently then I’m all for it. But to simply say anytime a kid isn’t ranked high or is short that he “could” be the next 1/10,000 recruit, isn’t a rational justification for going after him.

For every Oladipo there’s hundreds of athletic project wing guys who never become much of anything.

sidenote: I do give some credit to Crean for finding Oladipo but I always put an * next to that sentiment for Crean. He had a fixation with wings and signed any kid he could who was a great athlete and was raw hoping to make the next project out of it. I’d argue many teams suffered at other positions for his desire to keep looking for that next wing. But I digress.

9 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Not a lot of upside in a 6'0 SG. Good offensive player, body a long way to go, defensively not totally interested. 

I think mid-major is probably a good level for him in due time. 

I don’t doubt you are in the know.. I’m just going to say this kid will be good enough to play in any major conference when it’s all said and done. I just hope if Jalen does not end up at IU,  that hopefully he lands somewhere else than the Big.

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Ok...a valid point.  I misinterpreted your comment.  

No problem I know Steph Curry is a 1/100000 player but simply the game is moving to more perimeter and guard orientated. We are seeing smaller guards in NCAA have more and more success. Guys like Napier and Kemba and Burks and Young. A kid like Blackmon can absolutely carve out a significant role on a B1G team imo if he continues to progress.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

No problem I know Steph Curry is a 1/100000 player but simply the game is moving to more perimeter and guard orientated. We are seeing smaller guards in NCAA have more and more success. Guys like Napier and Kemba and Burks and Young. A kid like Blackmon can absolutely carve out a significant role on a B1G team imo if he continues to progress.

True, the game IS moving in that direction, but the number of small guard/perimeter pro players is still pretty low, I believe.  Size matters in the pro game, more so than in college.  Every kid who is thinking about an nba career and is 6'5" and up is working on his 3 pt shot.  In Blackmon's case...well, there must be some reason that CoachSS is making the statement he made.  But I get your point...the kid looks good at this stage and he can shoot...which IU needs at the moment.  Tried to get a count on the number of nba players under 6'4"...and I think I was wrong.  The percentage may be low...but there appear to be a larger number than I thought.  So, I stand corrected.  😁

7 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

True, the game IS moving in that direction, but the number of small guard/perimeter pro players is still pretty low, I believe.  Size matters in the pro game, more so than in college.  Every kid who is thinking about an nba career and is 6'5" and up is working on his 3 pt shot.  In Blackmon's case...well, there must be some reason that CoachSS is making the statement he made.  But I get your point...the kid looks good at this stage and he can shoot...which IU needs at the moment.  Tried to get a count on the number of nba players under 6'4"...and I think I was wrong.  The percentage may be low...but there appear to be a larger number than I thought.  So, I stand corrected.  😁

Yeah...we could use a guy even off the bench that could really stress the defense from outside. I’m not so focused on NBA because of pick and roll and matchups size can be exploited in defensive matchups but college 6’0 to me is not a huge problem. Now if he won’t play defense I get it Archie won’t recruit that kid but we’ve heard he is a willing and even decent defender. Guess I’m just curious as to why Archie won’t recruit him if it’s just his size...but of course we know Coach has a pulse on the team but I find it strange.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Blackmon has 12 of Marion’s 22 points  at the half against undefeated Delta. 22-18 at the half. Blackmon is very much a shooter but that is really it. He seems to be a one trick pony.

Doesn't play defense or pass the ball?

Archived