Names on back of IU Jerseys ?

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I want to see an alternate jersey.  Kind of like when adidas releases their tourney uniforms.  I just like different stuff from time to time.  Names or no names doesn’t bother me one bit.  I’d like to see a gray jersey maybe with the crimson script on the front.

Screenshot_20180708-111934.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This gray haired fan tends to prefer the traditions, but this is one of those things that I really don't feel strongly about.  As mentioned, times change.  Sometimes I'm a little amused at just how much players and fans care about clothing and shoes.  The only item I will never agree to is the idea of ditching the candy stripes.

RMK used to talk about not having names on the back because the players were playing for the team and not themselves, etc..  But let's face it - most players (and essentially all elite ones) ARE playing for themselves.  They chose a school to improve their own draft stock and exposure (not any different than why a student chooses a university).

This is just not something that I get worked up about. Basketball is totally different now. Calbert Cheney isn’t coming through that door...Damon Bailey isn’t...RMK is not coming through that door. If these new age kids want names let them have it. We had a golden age of wonderful basketball. Let these new kids usher in their own identity and legacy for IU. If it means alternative jerseys, names, pregame rituals whatever....agreed with someone else just don’t get rid of the candy stripes...I think they are eternally cool anyways! As long as they represent the school and state respectfully let them enjoy their time on the court. Like I said earlier...I think if Archie thinks it’s necessary...give it to him...if he doesn’t then it must not be. I don’t think anyone is handcuffing him with the changes he is already bringing to the program.

31 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

RMK used to talk about not having names on the back because the players were playing for the team and not themselves, etc..  But let's face it - most players (and essentially all elite ones) ARE playing for themselves.  They chose a school to improve their own draft stock and exposure (not any different than why a student chooses a university).

That statement, right there, and the thinking behind it, is what caused me to start this thread in the first place.  However, after starting it, another thought came to mind.  Knowing about Knight, his comment and the reason for having no names.... got me to thinking by putting names on the jerseys, we could get rid of another last vestige of Knight. He wants nothing to do with IU. Willing to go to fish fries at PU, instead, and so much more. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That statement, right there, and the thinking behind it, is what caused me to start this thread in the first place.  However, after starting it, another thought came to mind.  Knowing about Knight, his comment and the reason for having no names.... got me to thinking by putting names on the jerseys, we could get rid of another last vestige of Knight. He wants nothing to do with IU. Willing to go to fish fries at PU, instead, and so much more. 

And reinstall the Hurryin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of valid points both ways. Kids do ultimately do what is best for them and their careers, but many (especially from out of state)  leave with a higher appreciation and lasting impression of IU being special to them in subtle ways they didn't expect, so they grow to become part of it and it of them.

I’m on board with the alternate cream jerseys for a game or two a year.  But I love our regular jerseys.  They are so clean.  

I like traditions.  Not having the names is fine with me. We aren’t the only school, right?  For example, I don’t think Penn State football does it.  

I would like to see a poll of players.  I doubt many care.  I am going to guess that there are bigger fish to fry in their minds.  At IU, you’re known if you’re on the basketball team.  That’s a benefit for playing at IU, scholly for life.  

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

So you're saying put names on the jerseys to stick it to Knight?

Sign me up for that. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Compromise.  Allow names, but only using the Chinese alphabet.  Keeps the player from having an inflated ego if he can't even read or write his name.  :coffee:

Lol I have a friend with a tattoo of some sort of chinese writing on his ribs..  he said it means, "love" or something like that... I just ask him, "how do you know?"....

He's also a Purdue fan so

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Lol I have a friend with a tattoo of some sort of chinese writing on his ribs..  he said it means, "love" or something like that... I just ask him, "how do you know?"....

He's also a Purdue fan so

Don’t know if that says more about him or the fact your friends with him lol! Just kidding! I’ve never understood people that do that...and I’ve always wondered if Chinese people think it looks as stupid as I do lol.

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m on board with the alternate cream jerseys for a game or two a year.  But I love our regular jerseys.  They are so clean.  

I like traditions.  Not having the names is fine with me. We aren’t the only school, right?  For example, I don’t think Penn State football does it.  

I would like to see a poll of players.  I doubt many care.  I am going to guess that there are bigger fish to fry in their minds.  At IU, you’re known if you’re on the basketball team.  That’s a benefit for playing at IU, scholly for life.  

Another angle on this without having names.....
The desire to play well enough to WANT everyone to know my name.  Not sure many think like that, but it was what I believe to be an interesting thought.

13 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Another angle on this without having names.....
The desire to play well enough to WANT everyone to know my name.  Not sure many think like that, but it was what I believe to be an interesting thought.

I’ve always liked having no names on the back of the jersey because it means you have to be more invested as a fan.  IU fans all take the time to get to know each player  so we’re able to identify them on the court.

Maybe it doesn't have to be and all or nothing thing. If one year a team wants  names on their jerseys then great. But if another years team doesnt, then sure.  Im all about tradition and in the past would be 100% no names but anymore im not sure i care about this anymore. 

Just let each years team decide what they want. 

On 7/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, Seeking6 said:

Here's where I'm at with traditions. Honor the old by making new. How we get there I don't care anymore. We spend a great deal of time and resources talking about our history. I never thought I would get to this point but maybe that's because I never thought fresh off a Final 4 while I was at IU in 90's we'd only go to 1 more over the next 25 years. 

Do whatever with uniforms. Do whatever with names on jerseys. Do whatever with gray area of recruiting. Don't care. Let's get back to a title every 5-6 years and at least a F4.... and stop talking about how it used to be. Frankly it's tiring and a tad frustrating. Build a players only dorm like Kansas and Kentucky. Do whatever within the rules is necessary. Bend them as far as possible without breaking. That's where I'm at. Haha...

That is one HELL of a handle/post.  And I agree with it. 

I don't really care about the names on the jersey.  My dad, who is much older now and can't remember as many things has no idea who any of the players are.  He has to refer to them in details until i can figure out who he talking about.  It might help to have name for those that don't follow the team like we do :).  Also, why not have names, we put 5 stars on the back of the shorts for everyone to know we have five national titles, might as well tell them who we are at the same time 

BTW, hate the stars on the shorts

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seems strange thinking to me to want names on the back because playing for the Team is no longer relevant?  or to stick it to a coach who has been gone for a very long time?

Playing for the team will always be relevant.  Bobby Knight set a lot of precedents in place that are no longer looked kindly on.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe it doesn't have to be and all or nothing thing. If one year a team wants  names on their jerseys then great. But if another years team doesnt, then sure.  Im all about tradition and in the past would be 100% no names but anymore im not sure i care about this anymore. 

Just let each years team decide what they want. 

Power to the People! 

45 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't really care about the names on the jersey.  My dad, who is much older now and can't remember as many things has no idea who any of the players are.  He has to refer to them in details until i can figure out who he talking about.  It might help to have name for those that don't follow the team like we do :).  Also, why not have names, we put 5 stars on the back of the shorts for everyone to know we have five national titles, might as well tell them who we are at the same time 

I have to admit that it sometimes takes me a few games to get some of the names right (and much longer for walk-on players). 

I think someone mentioned putting names on the road uniforms - that seems like an interesting idea to me.  It's kind of like how baseball teams (used to ?) do it by putting the city name (Chicago) on the road uniform and the team name (cubs) on the home ones [I only found out about that a few years ago].

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Though I once was adamant about no names for years, and have become somewhat mixed on the topic as of late.

Two things I would not want to change :  The Candy Stripes or the Stars.

In fact I envision the day when the uni's are sporting 6 instead of 5 Stars.

IU Soccer uni's currently leading the way with 8 Stars, representing 8 National Championships.

A subtle sense of pride, few schools can emulate in either sport. I don't hate the stars. I embrace the Stars, and what they represent.

Archived