Jaden Ivey Commits to Purdue

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jaden is from the same school as Demetrius Jackson was. Ivey is always on the ND campus playing against the ND players as his mom is the one that would love for him to be at ND. After to talking to Brey for a 20 min session the other day, his assessment of Jaden is that he is a much more polished guard than what Demetrius was because he sees the game as a true guard with amazing court sense, whereas Demetrius was always a very talented player caught up in his own head, and never truly grasped the essence of the guard spot. He also said he expects IU to offer Jaden in the future as well. The coach at Marian has been blessed over the last 10 years with players like Jackson, Devin Cannady(Princeton) and now Jaden Ivey...which he feels confident in saying that he will be the best of the 3. The Marian coach was also an assistant under Hecklinski at Anderson(the wigwam)back in the 90’s...and now they’re both coaches in the same city(Mishawaka)

On a side note...he(Brey)also said he expects Brooks to be a done deal to IU. And that IU is in the same boat as his program because of the youth and being forced into the fire too soon, but that it bodes well for the future by having to use these underclassmen so much. He also said that it’s a very difficult situation bringing in a one and done player and expecting a savior in this day and age, and that’s why he avoids those kids because it disrupts continuity in the long run. He just said that he will take a team of 21-22 year olds every year and tries to structure it that way, and that this is how he has been able to beat Duke 5 Times and some of the other programs with a multitude of young phenoms. 

1 hour ago, Milosh68 said:

Jaden is from the same school as Demetrius Jackson was. Ivey is always on the ND campus playing against the ND players as his mom is the one that would love for him to be at ND. After to talking to Brey for a 20 min session the other day, his assessment of Jaden is that he is a much more polished guard than what Demetrius was because he sees the game as a true guard with amazing court sense, whereas Demetrius was always a very talented player caught up in his own head, and never truly grasped the essence of the guard spot. He also said he expects IU to offer Jaden in the future as well. The coach at Marian has been blessed over the last 10 years with players like Jackson, Devin Cannady(Princeton) and now Jaden Ivey...which he feels confident in saying that he will be the best of the 3. The Marian coach was also an assistant under Hecklinski at Anderson(the wigwam)back in the 90’s...and now they’re both coaches in the same city(Mishawaka)

On a side note...he(Brey)also said he expects Brooks to be a done deal to IU. And that IU is in the same boat as his program because of the youth and being forced into the fire too soon, but that it bodes well for the future by having to use these underclassmen so much. He also said that it’s a very difficult situation bringing in a one and done player and expecting a savior in this day and age, and that’s why he avoids those kids because it disrupts continuity in the long run. He just said that he will take a team of 21-22 year olds every year and tries to structure it that way, and that this is how he has been able to beat Duke 5 Times and some of the other programs with a multitude of young phenoms. 

Great post. Thanks for sharing 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Seems he has had conversations with the staff up there from his post. Very good information and yeah I imagine he lands at ND.

Yes. I went to IU, my oldest(daughter) is an IU grad. Her and my oldest boy are are both finishing up their MBA this semester at ND. I worked for Blieandgoldillustrated for 8 years from 2001-2008. This convo with Brey happened today in a casual setting while we were just shooting at the hip. I’ve actually known Coach Brey for a number of years while taking part in his charities, mainly “men of heart.”

On a side note, i wasn’t a writer or a beat writer at BlueandGold, i would be classified as a jack of all trades, but mostly involved with the website in talking about football and basketball recruiting, but mostly football.

16 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

I think this is the main positive to take out of this season. It is also a reason that our 12-13 team was as good as they were. Hulls and Watford were forced to play earlier than they would have under normal circumstances. 

23 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

Yes. I went to IU, my oldest(daughter) is an IU grad. Her and my oldest boy are are both finishing up their MBA this semester at ND. I worked for Blieandgoldillustrated for 8 years from 2001-2008. This convo with Brey happened today in a casual setting while we were just shooting at the hip. I’ve actually known Coach Brey for a number of years while taking part in his charities, mainly “men of heart.”

On a side note, i wasn’t a writer or a beat writer at BlueandGold, i would be classified as a jack of all trades, but mostly involved with the website in talking about football and basketball recruiting, but mostly football.

Is there any chance Ivey isn’t going to ND? 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is there any chance Ivey isn’t going to ND? 

I can honestly answer that with this...CMB would never discuss a kid he is in on by giving away any direct hints. The best anyone will get out of him are those quotes that Ivey is always in the ND gyms with his guys, so one can only read into that. I will say this though, Demetrius Jackson also hung out in the ND gyms with the players and also was around the program like Ivey is, and CMB stated the exact same thing back then. There would have to be a strong pull for Jaden to want to leave this area and the school his Mom works at and played for. CMB was talking in tones that one  can expect to see him as the coach at ND until retirement, so a coaching change won’t be the reason. The one thing that came up and can be hard to explain to outsiders is that ND is different from almost all other schools out there when it comes to networking after your career is done. When you hear people say that ND people take care of ND people, it’s true. So he has first hand knowledge of how ND works after his playing days are done, and that’s the case for everyone, even if you weren’t a star athlete. So in layman’s terms...that is where the value in that piece of paper from ND sets you up for life. Hence the term “it’s a 40 year decision, not a 4 year decision”.  

This can be a positive to take away for you though Boiler...and that is this, Devin Canady also hung around ND a lot but he wasn’t recruited  all that hard, so he chose Princeton. His decision was easier for him to leave because his parents moved to Indy after he graduated, so staying close to home for him was not a factor.  The difference though is CMB and his staff are making it known that they are not recruiting anyone Hard at all in the 2019 class and putting their emphasis on the 2020 class. He did say that if there was someone that fell into their lap, then they wouldn’t pass it up, but that they would prefer the right fit in a transfer or two in the 2019 class. So the players in the 2020 class know that they will be coming in and learning from mostly juniors and seniors when they arrive. And for Ivey...he’s definitely a 3-4 year player.

10 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

I can honestly answer that with this...CMB would never discuss a kid he is in on by giving away any direct hints. The best anyone will get out of him are those quotes that Ivey is always in the ND gyms with his guys, so one can only read into that. I will say this though, Demetrius Jackson also hung out in the ND gyms with the players and also was around the program like Ivey is, and CMB stated the exact same thing back then. There would have to be a strong pull for Jaden to want to leave this area and the school his Mom works at and played for. CMB was talking in tones that one  can expect to see him as the coach at ND until retirement, so a coaching change won’t be the reason. The one thing that came up and can be hard to explain to outsiders is that ND is different from almost all other schools out there when it comes to networking after your career is done. When you hear people say that ND people take care of ND people, it’s true. So he has first hand knowledge of how ND works after his playing days are done, and that’s the case for everyone, even if you weren’t a star athlete. So in layman’s terms...that is where the value in that piece of paper from ND sets you up for life. Hence the term “it’s a 40 year decision, not a 4 year decision”.  

This can be a positive to take away for you though Boiler...and that is this, Devin Canady also hung around ND a lot but he wasn’t recruited  all that hard, so he chose Princeton. His decision was easier for him to leave because his parents moved to Indy after he graduated, so staying close to home for him was not a factor.  The difference though is CMB and his staff are making it known that they are not recruiting anyone Hard at all in the 2019 class and putting their emphasis on the 2020 class. He did say that if there was someone that fell into their lap, then they wouldn’t pass it up, but that they would prefer the right fit in a transfer or two in the 2019 class. So the players in the 2020 class know that they will be coming in and learning from mostly juniors and seniors when they arrive. And for Ivey...he’s definitely a 3-4 year player.

Actually a coach can't comment publicly about a recruit until he signs

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually a coach can't comment publicly about a recruit until he signs

??? That’s a well known fact. One on one conversations with Joe Schmoe are not considered media communication. It’s no different than him sharing it with his own son as long as there is no video/audio of previously stated.

• 2 months later...
  • KDB changed the title to Jaden Ivey Commits to Purdue
14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Idk if big is the right word. Purdue has been his leader for a decent bit of time. Didn’t think he’d commit this soon but regardless it’s an awesome pick-up for Painter and staff. 

Strike while the iron is hot. We all know how quickly things can change.  Very good pickup

Archived