The all-time best individual seasons

7 hours ago, IUB74 said:

Big George was the best college basketball player I ever saw play in person.  His 1 and only season was incredible!

Curious as he was before me. Why do you think George doesn't get more historical talk regarding IU? Just because he left early?

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Curious as he was before me. Why do you think George doesn't get more historical talk regarding IU? Just because he left early?

I do think playing only one year has limited how people see his time at IU.  That was also the last pre-Knight year, I think that also has an impact.

i remember George bringing the ball up the court against the press and dribbling the ball around behind his back while an opposing guard ran around him in a circle trying to get the ball.  That guard looked like a toddler trying to guard a man.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think only playing one year had a lot to do with it.  The other thing is that his time was just before Knight's arrival and the meteoric rise to the top of the CBB world.

I became an IU fan as a kid when Mac went to IU - I was a big Pacers/ABA fan and wanted him to come to the Pacers.  Knight came in and I continued being a fan ever since.

BTW, I recall Robin Miller telling some George McGinnis stories about his time at Indpls. Washington H.S..  According to Miller, Big Mac may have been a better football player than he was a basketball player.  He recounted when the opposing team was attempting a punt at their end of the field and George came blasting through and picked the punter (with the ball) up and carried him into the endzone.  He was a man among boys in H.S., and to some extent even in college.

1 hour ago, BoomBaby said:

That Washington team was amazing.  Wayne Pack and Louie Day, who both played D1 ball as I recall, were also on that team.

Don't know about Day, but Pack scored over a 1,000 pts. at Tennessee Tech.

35 minutes ago, morganmonroe said:

Undefeated, and yet only won the semi over Marion by 1. Championship game on YouTube also.  Search IHSAA 1969.

Thanks MM.  Here's that video :

1969 IHSAA State Championship: Indianapolis Washington 79, Gary Tolleston 76

Also talking about undefeated teams that won it all, and had players go onto D-1 ball.  Here is ECW who are arguably considered the GOAT. And had three starters make major marks in D-1 ball :

1971 East Chicago Washington Senators - A Team For The Ages 

3 hours ago, BoomBaby said:

That Washington team was amazing.  Wayne Pack and Louie Day, who both played D1 ball as I recall, were also on that team.

McGinnis, the best season ever,  and Downing, the only player ever in IU history to record a triple double. Downing is much under-appreciated, IMO.

Thank you Snowling for your like of my post with the links of the  Washington-Tolleston game.  As well as ECW. 1969 was the year I graduated from IU. Tolleston rarely competed  in basketball, what with the likes of Gary Froebel and Gary Roosevelt. So all of Gary was so proud of that team.

Tolleston was a small section of Gary.  I had an uncle who lived there, and had a store there.  Like many of the 9 High Schools in Gary, much like the one I went to.... they are only a memory now. 

15 hours ago, Mac said:

McGinnis, the best season ever,  and Downing, the only player ever in IU history to record a triple double. Downing is much under-appreciated, IMO.

Gotta mention Steve Downing's 47 point, 25 rebound game to lead unranked IU to a double-overtime victory over 7th-ranked Kentucky on December 11, 1971 in Louisville, one of the best single-game performances by a Hoosier I remember.

Archived