Terrence Clarke

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Man we have to take the shine off of that shiny new "Penny"

I suspect this season at Memphis will either destroy their recruiting momentum or make them a force for Kensucky and Duke to reckon with.  Penny is going to get a chance to show what he can do with a bunch of talent.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I suspect this season at Memphis will either destroy their recruiting momentum or make them a force for Kensucky and Duke to reckon with.  Penny is going to get a chance to show what he can do with a bunch of talent.

You also have to remember...success won’t be measured by championships for Penny. If he can send 4-5 to the NBA next year especially a couple lottery and they make say a s16...the recruiting momentum will continue.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You also have to remember...success won’t be measured by championships for Penny. If he can send 4-5 to the NBA next year especially a couple lottery and they make say a s16...the recruiting momentum will continue.

Without question.  This season will tell a lot about how Penny deals with a wealth of young talent.  If he does well and several of them go pro, he'll likely be more of a thorn in the side of UK and Duke than he will IU.  If the season is underwhelming, he likely won't be a thorn in anyone's side, except the Memphis AD that took a chance on him.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He really only has 2 one and done types.  If he sends 4-5 five then he's one hell of a coach.  

https://247sports.com/college/memphis/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He really only has 2 one and done types.  If he sends 4-5 five then he's one hell of a coach.  

https://247sports.com/college/memphis/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

You don’t have to show a whole lot to go OAD when your a top 50 recruit. How many UK kids go every year and they avg like 10pts a game. They may only have a couple possible lottery guys but I’d say 3 possible first rounders and id be surprised if 4-5 don’t get drafted.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t realize he has already had two unofficial visits one in 2017 and another in 2018. Talking about an official visit this year. Kid is a 2021 target. #2 in his class we have been on him for a long time. We may actually have a shot at him else he wouldn’t continue to visit. Probably another OAD but hopefully we can have a more complete team around him by the time he arrives...and maybe Archie learns from the Romeo sitsuation some too.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe just me but I feel like this is a case where were were in on him first, did as much as we can do but until Archie establishes himself we'll lose out on these recruits to UK, Duke,etc....so essentially we're a glorified bird dog. 

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Archie can’t stop recruiting guys just because they have interest in the blue bloods

My thoughts if Penny is in the oad recruiting mode  doesn't this even the playing field with Duke and Kentucky for the rest gives of us? A little less talent stockpiled for them.  Or  does it leave the rest with less of a chance come tourney time? I am thinking it gives older teams a better chance.

1 hour ago, DocHoosier said:

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Archie can’t stop recruiting guys just because they have interest in the blue bloods

Agree all day. And to be clear I'm not saying he shouldn't I'm just saying we have to also be very realistic on elite level recruits. Just trying to avoid the Bruce Weber approach. Recruit elite guys (Gordon) and miss on E'twaun Moore when plan A didn't pan out. Kind of what happened with KB Jr. Spend all that time and miss on others when said recruit buys what the snake oil salesman is selling. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. And to be clear I'm not saying he shouldn't I'm just saying we have to also be very realistic on elite level recruits. Just trying to avoid the Bruce Weber approach. Recruit elite guys (Gordon) and miss on E'twaun Moore when plan A didn't pan out. Kind of what happened with KB Jr. Spend all that time and miss on others when said recruit buys what the snake oil salesman is selling. 

Well, KB Jr did take Brad Calipari’s spot on the roster 

5 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Definitely. I would be worried if he was recruiting only 5 stars and ignoring the program builders like Leal and Galloway.

This is one reason to bank a scholarship or two... That way Archie can build a great roster and if the right "5 🌟"wants in, there is a space.

4 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Definitely. I would be worried if he was recruiting only 5 stars and ignoring the program builders like Leal and Galloway.

This is one reason to bank a scholarship or two... That way Archie can build a great roster and if the right "5 🌟"wants in, there is a space.

Agreed...it’s why he also is happy with just 11-12 schollys and banking one. He will always have a spot for a 5* or a recruit that gets thrown a curve. I have no complaints with his recruiting...jury still out on the coaching.

• 1 month later...

Archived