Tom Crean/Kevin Wilson Revelations

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the article. With regard to Crean, there are others inside the IU basketball family that had some frustration -- as Jared Jeffries did -- about Crean.

It is not a coincidence that many former players like Damon Bailey have openly attended practices/shoot-around or have worked out in the facility since Archie has been coach.

2 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

If Tom Crean was looking for another job while he was the head Coach at IU , (who could blame him ) ? because of all of the NEGATIVE B.S. . he had to put up with !!!

Just mentioned this talking with a friend about the Jeffries interview today.  Can hardly blame Crean for looking for other jobs considering a large portion of the fanbase was ready to run him out of town on a rail starting in 2013.

Just now, hoosiertildeath said:

If Tom Crean was looking for another job while he was the head Coach at IU , (who could blame him ) ? because of all of the NEGATIVE B.S. . he had to put up with !!!

What "negative B.S." did he have to deal with? 

Tom Crean dug his own grave. Oversigning year in and year out, playing a brand of ball not fitting to IU (high turnovers, no defense), no consistency, etc. was all on Tom Crean. No one else.

I appreciate him coming to IU but he failed to live up to expectations. That's on him. That's the life of a coach

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

What "negative B.S." did he have to deal with? 

Tom Crean dug his own grave. Oversigning year in and year out, playing a brand of ball not fitting to IU (high turnovers, no defense), no consistency, etc. was all on Tom Crean. No one else.

I appreciate him coming to IU but he failed to live up to expectations. That's on him. That's the life of a coach

Well, there were two occasions I recall.  One, his son getting booed at a high school bb game.  And two.... Crean's daughter's professor starting a class off with what he claimed to be a joke by announcing Crean was fired (long before he got fired).... and everyone in the class cheered.

In terms Jeffries' claim that Crean was actively seeking other opportunities.  Let us not forget the fact that after 23 years at IU, Bobby Knight seriously considered taking the open gig at New Mexico.  Only to say after he (Knight) got fired that not taking the New Mexico job one of the biggest mistakes (next to running Larry Bird off) of his life.

Bob Knight Turns Down New Mexico : Indiana Coach Says He's Not Sure He's Up to New Challenge - latimes

The idea of Crean leaving because of all the negativity rings hollow.  He didn't sound like a man who wanted to be gone after Glass finally pulled the plug.  I'm very sympathetic toward the Crean family in the context of the two examples Mile gave.  Absolutely vile and inexcusable on the part of those folks booing and the professor making such an insensitive "joke" with his daughter in the room, but if Crean acted as Jeffries claims, much respect lost there.

...and the Hitler comment...if that came from Wilson, glad he's gone.  I loved the way he dressed down the radio clowns who were making fun of IU football, but there's no room for attitudes like that.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well, there were two occasions I recall.  One, his son getting booed at a high school bb game.  And two.... Crean's daughter's professor starting a class off with what he claimed to be a joke by announcing Crean was fired (long before he got fired).... and everyone in the class cheered.

In terms Jeffries' claim that Crean was actively seeking other opportunities.  Let us not forget the fact that after 23 years at IU, Bobby Knight seriously considered taking the open gig at New Mexico.  Only to say after he (Knight) got fired that not taking the New Mexico job one of the biggest mistakes (next to running Larry Bird off) of his life.

Bob Knight Turns Down New Mexico : Indiana Coach Says He's Not Sure He's Up to New Challenge - latimes

I also believe there was at least one incident with his wife in the stands, and I know there was one with his wife, youngest daughter, and Gregg Doyle outside the locker room.  I don't care what kind of offense or defense you coach, or how many turnovers your team has, your family,  should NEVER be the one to hear about it.  That is in fact "negative BS".

9 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I also believe there was at least one incident with his wife in the stands, and I know there was one with his wife, youngest daughter, and Gregg Doyle outside the locker room.  I don't care what kind of offense or defense you coach, or how many turnovers your team has, your family,  should NEVER be the one to hear about it.  That is in fact "negative BS".

After the incident in the stands.... and anyone can correct me if I am wrong.... I believe Joani stopped going to the games.

Yet. Despite all of that, and getting fired on top of it..... as I have said before.... I have never heard Tom Crean utter a harsh word directed towards Indiana University.

29 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Those examples are the same reason why we knew the day it came out that Romeo was announcing in public that IU was his choice.  There are just too many emotionally un-intelligent idiots out there -- and that really has nothing to do with Indiana fans.  Stupidity knows no borders (although it does seem to congregate a bit more in Kentucky ;) )

42 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

We all know what happened to Crean and his family towards the end of his tenure at IU. I believe he had every right to try to find what was out there for him. But at the same time, all the negativity towards Crean (and the reasons for it) from the fanbase and other IU basketball stakeholders was legit; some people took things too far, which was flat-out wrong. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

After the incident in the stands.... and anyone can correct me if I am wrong.... I believe Joani stopped going to the games.

Yet. Despite all of that, and getting fired on top of it..... as I have said before.... I have never heard Tom Crean utter a harsh word directed towards Indiana University.

I agree. Those incidents were childish - particularly the April Fools joke. 

On another note, I hope he wouldn't utter a harsh word at Indiana University -  He was given 10 years here and paid millions and millions (actually was the highest paid state employee) of dollars. The University itself treated him very fairly and made him one of the highest paid coaches in all off CBB. Also, although Crean was not part of the article, I remember there was pretty much a "hit piece" done on the University by the Harbaugh brothers, which I found to be a cheap shot

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and the Hitler comment...if that came from Wilson, glad he's gone.  I loved the way he dressed down the radio clowns who were making fun of IU football, but there's no room for attitudes like that.

Wilson was a fiery kind of guy.  Evidenced his first night on campus, when he got lost finding his "Suite" at McNutt.  Being fiery can be good as a FB coach when used to motivate properly.  Or it can hurt as we saw with Zander's tweets.  Gotta be careful what one says to who.

I can't remember.... so someone help me out.  Was it Wilson who refused to go on Dakich's show ?  Or Dakich who refused to have Wilson on his show, after a while ?  Either way. Bad mix.  Two hot heads. 

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Agreed. That is flat out crossing the line. 

But you're going to have that anywhere you go in regards to a big time program. You're going to have to put up with a ton of crap. That's just reality. If you want the spotlight, you have to expect the crazy/idiotic fans. 

Those fans and professor flat out should be ashamed. No question. My comments above were in regards to his brand of ball. You can't come to a program that has won for decades playing a particular brand of ball, and expect them to change, if you're new way of doing things is liable not to produce consistent success.

Crean was going to win. But that winning was going to be inconsistent. And that's not good enough here. That's just the reality of the matter.

At the end of the day, I do appreciate what Crean did, and what he embarked upon. I think he's a great human being. And he certainly didn't deserve some of the crap he got. But alienating Indiana High School coaches, recruiting over kids, failing to teach defense, etc. doomed him. 

7 minutes ago, ephul said:

Agreed. That is flat out crossing the line. 

But you're going to have that anywhere you go in regards to a big time program. You're going to have to put up with a ton of crap. That's just reality. If you want the spotlight, you have to expect the crazy/idiotic fans. 

Those fans and professor flat out should be ashamed. No question. My comments above were in regards to his brand of ball. You can't come to a program that has won for decades playing a particular brand of ball, and expect them to change, if you're new way of doing things is liable not to produce consistent success.

Crean was going to win. But that winning was going to be inconsistent. And that's not good enough here. That's just the reality of the matter.

At the end of the day, I do appreciate what Crean did, and what he embarked upon. I think he's a great human being. And he certainly didn't deserve some of the crap he got. But alienating Indiana High School coaches, recruiting over kids, failing to teach defense, etc. doomed him. 

I agree with all your points.  Crean helped bail out the boat that Sampson swamped.  Keeping in mind, that IU was under sanctions when Crean took over, because of Sampson. IU lost and gave up scholarships due to Sampson.  Cupboard was not just bare when Crean took over, it was empty. And then Crean was handicapped by not being allowed to have a full compliment of scholarships.  Who ever heard of playing two guys from the baseball team and ending up the season by not only suiting up, but playing a student manager (Santa, by the way has a great general manager job, now at IU) ?

Crean steadied the ship.  But after time, the ship seemed to be losing steam.  I can't speak for all, but for me and others, we felt is was time for a change.  And that's not to say I and others did not appreciate what Crean did for the program.

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I agree with all your points.  Crean helped bail out the boat that Sampson swamped.  Keeping in mind, that IU was under sanctions when Crean took over, because of Sampson. IU lost and gave up scholarships due to Sampson.  Cupboard was not just bare when Crean took over, it was empty. And then Crean was handicapped by not being allowed to have a full compliment of scholarships.  Who ever heard of playing two guys from the baseball team and ending up the season by not only suiting up, but playing a student manager (Santa, by the way has a great general manager job, now at IU) ?

Crean steadied the ship.  But after time, the ship seemed to be losing steam.  I can't speak for all, but for me and others, we felt is was time for a change.  And that's not to say I and others did not appreciate what Crean did for the program.

Absolutely!  There's no reason we can't appreciate what he did, while recognizing that it was time for a change.  There's no reason to sling mud as he walked out the door.  He certainly didn't, (But arguably had the right to).  But there are some in our community who cannot pass an opportunity to smear, or insult the man.  I don't get that.  I never will.  To me it tells me much more about them than it does Tom Crean.

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And I will add, I think Glass did Crean a favor by letting him go when he did. Had Crean been at the helm and coached last year's team, would Crean really have been a frontrunner for the Georgia job?

55 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

18 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Absolutely!  There's no reason we can't appreciate what he did, while recognizing that it was time for a change.  There's no reason to sling mud as he walked out the door.  He certainly didn't, (But arguably had the right to).  But there are some in our community who cannot pass an opportunity to smear, or insult the man.  I don't get that.  I never will.  To me it tells me much more about them than it does Tom Crean.

While Crean may not have personally "slung" anything at the university, IIRC, the Harbaugh family came out with some pretty harsh statements after Tom was let go, and he didn't act at all to quiet them. One of the criticisms of Crean was that he was a better p.r. man than coach, and if he could let someone else do the mud slinging for him,  it appears that he was only happy to step aside and let them.

I agree, he brought the program out of an abyss. I also agree that his style of basketball was not conducive to consistent, winning teams. Glad he took the job. Glad he's gone. Leave it at that.

8 minutes ago, ephul said:

And I will add, I think Glass did Crean a favor by letting him go when he did. Had Crean been at the helm and coached last year's team, would Crean really have been a frontrunner for the Georgia job?

Interesting take.

Crean was not a failure at IU.  He just didn't measure up.  Time to move on.

I'm not going to poop on Tom Crean either.  At the very least, he got the program out of the weeds - he just didn't have it on a path to sustained success.  If he sniffed around at jobs in 2017, that's fine since he was not fulfilling expectations and had to know he was on the hot seat.  His departure had become inevitable and, IMO, is best for all involved.

Regarding Crean exploring other jobs this is what I was told at the time:

Glass told Crean well before what turned out to be his final season that his contract was not being extended (I think this was common knowledge at the time). Glass also told Crean that he or his agent were free to look for other jobs. Crean came back to Glass saying that there was some interest but the salary would be in the $2.5 million range or $600K less than what IU was paying.  Glass offered to pay Crean $1.8 million as compensation for the difference in the remaining 3 years of the contract as long as Glass did not have to use the F-word (Fired). Crean decided not to take the offer and we all know how that last season turned out.

I've always thought this is why Glass was so adamant and pointed during the press conference announcing the firing that Crean would receive exactly the compensation that his contract called for. Considering the TV work that Crean did and now the contract with Georgia it looks like Glass was able to save the athletic department some money.

53 minutes ago, IUPG said:

Regarding Crean exploring other jobs this is what I was told at the time:

Glass told Crean well before what turned out to be his final season that his contract was not being extended (I think this was common knowledge at the time). Glass also told Crean that he or his agent were free to look for other jobs. Crean came back to Glass saying that there was some interest but the salary would be in the $2.5 million range or $600K less than what IU was paying.  Glass offered to pay Crean $1.8 million as compensation for the difference in the remaining 3 years of the contract as long as Glass did not have to use the F-word (Fired). Crean decided not to take the offer and we all know how that last season turned out.

I've always thought this is why Glass was so adamant and pointed during the press conference announcing the firing that Crean would receive exactly the compensation that his contract called for. Considering the TV work that Crean did and now the contract with Georgia it looks like Glass was able to save the athletic department some money.

Very good post. Well executed. It's taken you a long time to post since joining our site.  Gotta say.... you did yourself proud with your first post.

No question you are a fan.  And very knowledgeable. Sounds to me as if you could be an "insider".... or even an IU player at one time.  No need to reveal yourself, if you don't want to.. but when you say, "this is what I was told at the time", leads me to think you are more than just an average poster.

Welcome to the HSN posting community.  Keep coming back. Again and again.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

How do you know Knight ran Bird off? I know  that Larry left way before basketball ever started...he was a small fish in a big pond at IU....my bother-in-law works for the pacers and talks to Larry on a weekly basis and he told me Larry felt out of place,that the campus was too big and it wasn't for him..never any mention about Knight

Archived