Khristian Lander Commits to Indiana

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Love what Coach said.  This kid is going to open so many things up.  Going to be interesting if two true playmakers are on the floor with him and Rob.  Wonder what the vision is there.

The pick and roll with Trayce can be something special.

Smith running the from the wing.....this team has the ability to push the ball in a flash.  

It's going to be really interesting how next season plays out. I think I'm going to term it "Leap Year". It's time for the IU Basketball Program to take a leap. It's time for Archie to take a leap. And, the roster is full of guys who can or even should be taking a leap.

For discussion sake, let's say Lander shows up ready to go, as often times 5* guys do. You also have TJD who is a star and then Smith, Durham and Brunk who with all three you know what you're getting. 

The rest of the roster is basically wide open. I love Rob Phinisee, but now is the team for him to take a leap. You also have Franklin who has a ton of potential, but will it all come together this soon? What about Hunter? With a full off season to train, as opposed to rehab, is he ready for a leap? Race Thompson has been in the program for 3 years already (pretty crazy to think about), now is the time to go from a 'nice little rebounding defender who plays hard' to a guy that is a legit rotational contributor that can be counted on.

Between those 4 guys (Phinisee, Franklin, Hunter & Thompson) it would be huge if 3-4 of them made a leap next season. Obviously, it would fill a lot of holes but also because it would really validate the 'get old, stay old' philosophy as well. Race is going into his 4th year in the program, Phinisee and Hunter their 3rd and Franklin his 2nd. IU needs those guys to step up.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's going to be really interesting how next season plays out. I think I'm going to term it "Leap Year". It's time for the IU Basketball Program to take a leap. It's time for Archie to take a leap. And, the roster is full of guys who can or even should be taking a leap.

For discussion sake, let's say Lander shows up ready to go, as often times 5* guys do. You also have TJD who is a star and then Smith, Durham and Brunk who with all three you know what you're getting. 

The rest of the roster is basically wide open. I love Rob Phinisee, but now is the team for him to take a leap. You also have Franklin who has a ton of potential, but will it all come together this soon? What about Hunter? With a full off season to train, as opposed to rehab, is he ready for a leap? Race Thompson has been in the program for 3 years already (pretty crazy to think about), now is the time to go from a 'nice little rebounding defender who plays hard' to a guy that is a legit rotational contributor that can be counted on.

Between those 4 guys (Phinisee, Franklin, Hunter & Thompson) it would be huge if 3-4 of them made a leap next season. Obviously, it would fill a lot of holes but also because it would really validate the 'get old, stay old' philosophy as well. Race is going into his 4th year in the program, Phinisee and Hunter their 3rd and Franklin his 2nd. IU needs those guys to step up.  

Great thoughts- and as some have said it is going to come down to who can be defensive stoppers and stretch the floor and hit.  

Archie is very attached to a Phoneix fastbreak and it is effective when you have a team that can run and stretch. 

We could see a ton of athleticism take over with Trayce, Smith, and Lander.  Next will be who is going to do the dirty work like Brunk, Race and who can use their length and hit the open shot like Hunter and Franklin.  It will be interesting with Durham and if he will come off the bench and what role he will take.  And then the rest of the new kids - It's a deep roster.  Will there be any redshirts?

26 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Great thoughts- and as some have said it is going to come down to who can be defensive stoppers and stretch the floor and hit.  

Archie is very attached to a Phoneix fastbreak and it is effective when you have a team that can run and stretch. 

We could see a ton of athleticism take over with Trayce, Smith, and Lander.  Next will be who is going to do the dirty work like Brunk, Race and who can use their length and hit the open shot like Hunter and Franklin.  It will be interesting with Durham and if he will come off the bench and what role he will take.  And then the rest of the new kids - It's a deep roster.  Will there be any redshirts?

Would be awesome if Leal or Galloway Redshirted. 

Really interested to see what Durham can do playing exclusively off the ball. His shooting really seems to suffer when asked to be a primary ball handler and facilitator. When Rob got healthy toward the end of the year, Al's shooting really seemed to improve along with his confidence. 

very excited about Lander.  what was he ranked in the 2021 class again?  let me ask opinions on this... how do the 2020 and 2021 class compare nationally?  kind of going down the road of how impressive is it that he is #17 or 24 or whatever in 2020?  seems very impressive regardless as it makes him a 5 star.  and BTW - it's pretty hard to argue that a 5 star recruit won't start for IU these days.  

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Gyms are opening  up here in Texas at the end of the month, and those are public gyms. Do we know what access the players currently have to IU facilities? I would think they're working things out, like staggered workouts, limited numbers of players in facilities, etc.

Pretty sure the players are all home with their families,  working out on their own

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Gyms are opening  up here in Texas at the end of the month, and those are public gyms. Do we know what access the players currently have to IU facilities? I would think they're working things out, like staggered workouts, limited numbers of players in facilities, etc.

I believe McRobbie shut the whole place down and they have no access to any IU facilities.   

1 hour ago, IU4Ever said:

I believe McRobbie shut the whole place down and they have no access to any IU facilities.   

That idiot can't be gone soon enough.  He also said at the end of APRIL that IU most likely wouldn't have in-person classes in the fall.  What idiot makes that call more than three months into the future?

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That idiot can't be gone soon enough.  He also said at the end of APRIL that IU most likely wouldn't have in-person classes in the fall.  What idiot makes that call more than three months into the future?

One that wants students and educators to have time to prepare. 

South Carolina announced this week that they will start in person classes in the Fall.  They did however cancel the Fall Break and students won't have in person class after Thanksgiving(just remotely).    I guess that makes some sense.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, TN_Hoosier said:

Notre Dame is apparently having students on campus this fall.  Starting their semester early, no fall break and end before major flu months.

Notre Dame and Purdue have both announced they'll be on campus in the fall. McRobbie leading from behind as usual. I can't wait until he is gone - unfortunately I have no reason to believe his replacement will be any better.

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My daughter is at IU dental school. They rolled into online Zoom lectures inside of a week. McRobbie is an absolute moron.

My wife a professor. This incredibly fast transition has been hell for educators and students alike.  

They are having to redesign an entire curriculum plus are trying to help students with troubleshooting. 

Just because something can be done in a week doesn’t mean it’s been done easily or well. 

On 5/18/2020 at 1:24 PM, BGleas said:

To me, this entire Hoosier engine operates when Rob Phinisee operates.  Most say his SO season collapse was due to injuries but regardless, his SO season was just an eclipse to what we all saw from his FR season.  He went from hitting game winners to becoming the opposition game dinners and didn't really make an impact the entire season.  Injuries?  I sure hope so but I have a bad feeling about this and hope I am wrong.  Regardless, this roster is set without Rob but his presence can help make us Elite.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm bored and curious. Anyone see Lander's cryptic tweet last night about everyone not knowing the half of it? Probably nothing but I guess if something comes out soon or next week we could link it back up to that. 

cryptic tweet?  What did it say?

Archived