Khristian Lander Commits to Indiana

4 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

They can be ready. No one would know. Guess you have a lot of faith in them. I do too, but I do in the long run. We'll see. 

I just see a lot of people that make comments like that and yet they don't really have any reason for it. They are both physically ready. Now will they perform well enough to deserve playing time? We'll find out.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Hey Scott, while some reclassified kids didn't pan out well, there are just about or more examples of other 5 stars that panned out nicely. Let's talk about this again when we DO get Lander. :)

Not saying he won't pan put but I don't see him coming in and being a huge contributor right away.  It is just like in the NBA draft where some high draft picks are not ready to contribute right away because they are just freshman.  On the other hand you might see guys picked lower in the first round or in the 2nd round that is able to contribute right away because those guys might have stayed in college 3-4 years.  I hope he does come here but I don't want people to put to much pressure on him to be a savior of the program.

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Hey Scott, while some reclassified kids didn't pan out well, there are just about or more examples of other 5 stars that panned out nicely. Let's talk about this again when we DO get Lander. :)

If he reclassifies he will likely be a 4 star recruit. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying he won't pam put but I don't see him coming in and being a huge contributor right away.  it is just like in the NBA draft where some high draft picks are not ready to contribute right away because they are just freshman.  On the other hand you might see guys picked lower in the first round or in the 2nd round that is able to contribute right away because those guys might have stayed in college 3-4 years.

Very true. It's quite refreshing to see those 3-4 year mature college players do well in the pros. For Lander, I don't really expect him to become a world beater in college world as a true freshman who's actually a year younger. Team needs someone who can share the load with Phinisee. If Lander can shoulder 10-15 decent minutes, I think that's a success. One thing I really like to see is Junior TJD-Senior Thompson-Senior Phinisee-Sophomore Lander, but I don't think TJD would be here that long. 

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

That I'm not sure. I think Lander's high enough to slide in the top 25 in 2020. 

Me too. He's at 11th in 2021 with a .9960, 1 at his position. 25th in 2020 is .9904 and 6th at his position. But I haven't followed reclasses much to know how far they drop or if they're even ranked in the new class at all. 

Looking at Race, he got rankings adjustments after enrollment which seems to me that they were keeping him in 2018 but listing him as 2017 after the fact.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. My neighbor's kid is headed down there next year. If all goes to plan she'll have 21 by this summer and is looking to enroll early herself. Why would anyone want to shorten their time in Bloomington? Dumb kids. Haha.

$$$ At least for those not on scholarship. Can't believe how expensive it is getting and the education they are receiving.....well I won't go there.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Others can chime in on the academic side with more specifics but I have plenty of friends with kids who by the time they are seniors in high school have earned 12-18+ credits at college level already. Some even more. I think Cody actually arrived with standing of almost a sophomore. 

In terms of basketball. Somebody pointed out earlier that Reitz just isn't that good or the competition he's playing isn't that strong. Might make sense to get a jump on life and be challenged instead of beating up on less talent. Similar to why some kids leave college a year early when everyone thinks they should stick around....play against better players will help you develop sooner. 

Hope he reclassifies and chooses us and from the little I've seen...he'll be playing good minutes from day 1.

We actually have students who graduate from our high school with Associate's Degrees.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

$$$ At least for those not on scholarship. Can't believe how expensive it is getting and the education they are receiving.....well I won't go there.

Luckily for me that my daughter got a full ride and actually gets a check every semester that covers her expenses.

I just want to land the kid....once he is here he is here. I know he can give us minutes because we are that lacking at pg. How many will depend on his ability to handle the load come B1G season. I don't think he is a OAD regardless which class he comes...but if he comes in 2020 he may take that sophomore leap to making the NBA after that....which would make him essentially a OAD 2021 kid. I think the kid has the makings of an NBA player...coming early just speeds up the process imo a year....whether he is a two year/3 year player or whatever. A year at IU I think will benefit him as much if not more than at Reitz where he won't be pushed, practicing against bigger/stronger players, and getting better weight training and skills training.  

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Luckily for me that my daughter got a full ride and actually gets a check every semester that covers her expenses.

I did too...only reason I didn't enroll at IU...it was either a choice between half tuition covered at IU or everything plus books, meals, and a check left over. Leaving college with no debt was a huge benefit and it is a wonderful thing and congrats to your daughter! That said for most kids cutting out another semester or two of payments would save thousands.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I did too...only reason I didn't enroll at IU...it was either a choice between half tuition covered at IU or everything plus books, meals, and a check left over. Leaving college with no debt was a huge benefit and it is a wonderful thing and congrats to your daughter! That said for most kids cutting out another semester or two of payments would save thousands.

Also my son will get through with doubt as well because he is on 21st Century Scholar where your tuition is paid and he has FASFA as well.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

That I'm not sure. I think Lander's high enough to slide in the top 25 in 2020. 

It's very possible that he even slides out of the Top 25 for 2021.  He's not had a breakout high school season that others have had.  Now, I know AAU is more important for rankings, but Lander simply has not had a Top 25 type high school season.  Just looking at in-state guys, Furst, Kaufman, and Wesley have all stepped their games up.  I'm not sure Lander has.  

A few random additions:

1. Neither Leal or Galloway will be playing point, so it's immaterial to the Lander situation as to whether or not they are ready.
  2. A second primary ball handler would be a Godsend and let Armaan and Durham slide back to more natural positions.
  3. My daughter entered USI with 30 credit hours classified as a soph.  That being said, I'm surprised at how many of these kids seem to be able to consider jumping a year ahead while playing basketball.  First, high level basketball is a year-round commitment taking a lot of time away from extra-curricular pursuits, work and academics.  Second, while there are plenty of Trey Kaufmans in high school basketball, there are also plenty of kids who are just happy to maintain eligibility.  Hard to imagine a lot of high school athletes having the time and the academic chops to graduate a year early, but apparently at least some do.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

A few random additions:

1. Neither Leal or Galloway will be playing point, so it's immaterial to the Lander situation as to whether or not they are ready.
  2. A second primary ball handler would be a Godsend and let Armaan and Durham slide back to more natural positions.
  3. My daughter entered USI with 30 credit hours classified as a soph.  That being said, I'm surprised at how many of these kids seem to be able to consider jumping a year ahead while playing basketball.  First, high level basketball is a year-round commitment taking a lot of time away from extra-curricular pursuits, work and academics.  Second, while there are plenty of Trey Kaufmans in high school basketball, there are also plenty of kids who are just happy to maintain eligibility.  Hard to imagine a lot of high school athletes having the time and the academic chops to graduate a year early, but apparently at least some do.

fyi--they have changed the process. You don't just get college through your AP courses. You can take dual enrollment courses that are taught by your hs teacher and that give you college credit. IMO--it is pretty bogus. Very few classes taught by hs teachers are equivalent to college courses (no insult intended to any hs teachers), but that's the game.

43 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

fyi--they have changed the process. You don't just get college through your AP courses. You can take dual enrollment courses that are taught by your hs teacher and that give you college credit. IMO--it is pretty bogus. Very few classes taught by hs teachers are equivalent to college courses (no insult intended to any hs teachers), but that's the game.

What's bogus are the charges levied against students and families to attend college to begin with. 

18 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

FYI-they haven’t really changed the process.  I took a dual credit course through IU back in the mid 80s.  It’s one that is still offered today.  The courses in high school are actually more closely aligned with college courses than they used to be.  I agree with you that the high school course isn’t the same but I don’t think they are bogus either.  The big change is just that there are more of them and more options to attain college credit.  Purdue just announced another option last week.

Also, credits from Ivy Tech transfer to the state schools.  My daughter got finite out of the way that way.  

For the record, I teach AP and not a dual credit course.  

52 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

That's the same program my daughter got her credits through.  Sure, it may not have been quite as rigorous as a traditional college course, but I thought she was capable of making the transition and it was a bunch cheaper so I was good with it.  I still don't understand how basketball players have time to cram an extra year into three years, but as I said, apparently they do!

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's the same program my daughter got her credits through.  Sure, it may not have been quite as rigorous as a traditional college course, but I thought she was capable of making the transition and it was a bunch cheaper so I was good with it.  I still don't understand how basketball players have time to cram an extra year into three years, but as I said, apparently they do!

It’s not very common.  In the last three years I have had three students graduate a full year early.  One was an athlete and one worked as many hours as an athlete puts in.  Most high school students just don’t think that far in advance and just put in their four years.  But those that are motivated can get it done.

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

FYI-they haven’t really changed the process.  I took a dual credit course through IU back in the mid 80s.  It’s one that is still offered today.  The courses in high school are actually more closely aligned with college courses than they used to be.  I agree with you that the high school course isn’t the same but I don’t think they are bogus either.  The big change is just that there are more of them and more options to attain college credit.  Purdue just announced another option last week.

Also, credits from Ivy Tech transfer to the state schools.  My daughter got finite out of the way that way.  

For the record, I teach AP and not a dual credit course.  

Not trying to thread-jack. I was just trying to clarify to those who were wondering how someone could have a year's worth of college credit, be a baller, and not necessarily be doing anything "extra."

Ok,  I don't know the extent to which dual credit is/is not offered in Indiana. I am willing to bet that the course you took in the 80s was more rigorous than what is being given as college credit today. What's "new" is that all the regular classes that most people 40+ took as college prep are now (via dual credit) given college credit. It is out of control in Illinois and the passed a law to cap it in Ohio a few years back. I have no problem with AP (flunked AP physics in hs myself).

Archived