Khristian Lander Commits to Indiana

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisville is the poster program for desperation to win at all costs.  They abandoned all integrity in favor of an all out assault on winning.  
The state of Kentucky doesn’t have pro sports and Louisville as a metropolitan area needs University of Louisville basketball to fill the void.  

Beyond that, without sports, no one would ever pay attention to the school.  As a student, personally, I never would have considered Louisville in any way, shape or form.  And it’s campus is a joke (I’ve been there).  You’d need a decompression chamber to go between IU as an institution and campus versus Louisville.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Louisville is the poster program for desperation to win at all costs.  They abandoned all integrity in favor of an all out assault on winning.  
The state of Kentucky doesn’t have pro sports and Louisville as a metropolitan area needs University of Louisville basketball to fill the void.  

Beyond that, without sports, no one would ever pay attention to the school.  As a student, personally, I never would have considered Louisville in any way, shape or form.  And it’s campus is a joke (I’ve been there).  You’d need a decompression chamber to go between IU as an institution and campus versus Louisville.  

Spot on. Academically they are last in the ACC and it isn’t even close. If they don’t bring money and prestige from sports, they have no value to a major conference 

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a question. Given your history and experience....how in the hell is Mack suggesting anything to kids these days with additional sanctions coming??

He's telling them to not go to Cleveland State.  The NCAA has to drop the hammer on someone.  :coffee:

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Louisville generates a ton of revenue....the #1 school in the ACC even outpacing Clemson.

Isn't a big chunk of that the revenue from the Yum Center that they raped the city of Louisville to build and pay for, yet the University controls?  Could be wrong, but thought the city suffered major financial repercussions,  while the university has reaped the financial windfall.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Isn't a big chunk of that the revenue from the Yum Center that they raped the city of Louisville to build and pay for, yet the University controls?  Could be wrong, but thought the city suffered major financial repercussions,  while the university has reaped the financial windfall.

I think a lot is. They have a ton of marketing money. They get a pretty big chunk from football too although that might start to drop if they continue to struggle. Still UL still brings revenue to the ACC for sure.

12 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

UL pays $2.4M/year to the Louisville Arena Authority for their lease, plus either $10K or 10% of ticket revenue per mens game, $5K or 10% of ticket revenue per other event, 12% of luxury suite rentals and 50% of gift shop/concessions revenue. 

Anschutz Entertainment (owner of the LA Galaxy, Staples Center and about 20 other arenas) is the operator of the arena and controls all non-UL events.  

So they basically only get 90% of the gate and 50% of concessions from the Yum Center.  Not sure how comparable that is to other athletic departments, but it doesn't sound outlandish to me. 

23 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Spot on. Academically they are last in the ACC and it isn’t even close. If they don’t bring money and prestige from sports, they have no value to a major conference 

I would love to see your figures. They actually have a pretty good APR for combined Athletic department. Fourteen programs at the school recorded perfect APR scores for the last calender year including the football team. The basketball team recorded above 960. They actually have one of the best unless comparing to Duke, UVA, and ND.

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

UL pays $2.4M/year to the Louisville Arena Authority for their lease, plus either $10K or 10% of ticket revenue per mens game, $5K or 10% of ticket revenue per other event, 12% of luxury suite rentals and 50% of gift shop/concessions revenue. 

Anschutz Entertainment (owner of the LA Galaxy, Staples Center and about 20 other arenas) is the operator of the arena and controls all non-UL events.  

So they basically only get 90% of the gate and 50% of concessions from the Yum Center.  Not sure how comparable that is to other athletic departments, but it doesn't sound outlandish to me. 

I believe there was a recent renegotiation. Jurich had a deal where they were basically raping the profits from the YUM Center. That place is the most comparable arena to anything in the NBA and nicer than most. Recruits eat it up.

3 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

I believe there was a recent renegotiation. Jurich had a deal where they were basically raping the profits from the YUM Center. That place is the most comparable arena to anything in the NBA and nicer than most. Recruits eat it up.

The above is what was published in their audited 2018 financial statements.  If there was something recent that was renegotiated, it wouldn't have been reflected in the USA Today revenue totals either. 

38 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

I would love to see your figures. They actually have a pretty good APR for combined Athletic department. Fourteen programs at the school recorded perfect APR scores for the last calender year including the football team. The basketball team recorded above 960. They actually have one of the best unless comparing to Duke, UVA, and ND.

I think he was referring to UofL it’s self, not the grades the players make.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-louisville-1999

UofL is barley a top 200 rated public college.

for reference, Valpo is #153 and Ball State is #192.

A lot of ACC people didn’t want UofL because of academics.

43 minutes ago, Moyeneeded said:

Referring to the University ranking overall, not APR. US News ranks them 192 among national colleges, tied with Ball St. They are below every ACC school, every Big Ten school, and every SEC school except Miss. St. 

UK is 132 and U Cinci is 139

4 hours ago, JcityHoosier said:

Might reclassify...he's going to UK 

UK has been getting more and more of these reclassifying kids. Honestly I don’t think it serves them well. If you get OAD primarily then they are looking at playing these kids right away and I’m not sure they all are physically and mentally ready for college ball. I think it’s also why they have been adding one or two grad transfers because they need leadership and college ready guys to buy the young ones time til they have settled in. Nate Sestina is going to be a huge get for them this year just like Travis really helped them last year. Nate has a winning work ethic and great skills for a 6’9 PF with range anywhere past half court. Anyways I think they continuing to depend on younger and younger kids will hurt them...I’ll take Archie’s plan of 4 year guys with a few 5 stars sprinkled in every year.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

UK has been getting more and more of these reclassifying kids. Honestly I don’t think it serves them well. If you get OAD primarily then they are looking at playing these kids right away and I’m not sure they all are physically and mentally ready for college ball. I think it’s also why they have been adding one or two grad transfers because they need leadership and college ready guys to buy the young ones time til they have settled in. Nate Sestina is going to be a huge get for them this year just like Travis really helped them last year. Nate has a winning work ethic and great skills for a 6’9 PF with range anywhere past half court. Anyways I think they continuing to depend on younger and younger kids will hurt them...I’ll take Archie’s plan of 4 year guys with a few 5 stars sprinkled in every year.

It’s because of the end of the one and done rule.

There will be a ton of kids doing the same thing.

Archived