Khristian Lander Commits to Indiana

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know if I totally buy that because we got Romeo and TJD without winning

It depends on the player but I've seen it stated many times over the last year that Lander wants to see IU win games in order to be a serious contender when his recruitment comes to a close. Is it 100% accurate IDK but there has been plenty of smoke with this recruitment to say that winning in this one matters. 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because it was Archie first and second year on the job and you sell the recruits off of a vision you have for them and the program. After your 3rd year that wears off. You eventually have to win and show them that they can come to IU and compete for championships. 

16 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Because it was Archie first and second year on the job and you sell the recruits off of a vision you have for them and the program. After your 3rd year that wears off. You eventually have to win and show them that they can come to IU and compete for championships. 

I am not saying we will get him but if he is that good he could see that he could be the piece that turns around IU.  I just saw him being on campus a lot this summer and him going to see Archie when he was in Evansville as a sign that he is interested in IU.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying we will get him but if he is that good he could see that he could be the piece that turns around IU.  I just saw him being on campus a lot this summer and him going to see Archie when he was in Evansville as a sign that he is interested in IU.

No doubt he is interested. IU is the state school with all kinds of history, tradition, fan support, and exposure but kids also want to know they can win wether you sell that to them in a vision or you prove it to them by winning before they get there. 

IU and Archie are at a point now where recruits want to see them win. The honey moon of a new hire and new vision for the program is over. Winning will go a long ways in recruiting for our 2021 class.

Kids are always going to be interested in IU but winning allows you to get more guys like Garcia instead of coming in 2nd and 3rd place with them. 

If Archie starts getting it done on the court our recruiting will go to another level and ultimately we will be Top 25 every year. This year is HUGE! 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

No doubt he is interested. IU is the state school with all kinds of history, tradition, fan support, and exposure but kids also want to know they can win wether you sell that to them in a vision or you prove it to them by winning before they get there. 

IU and Archie are at a point now where recruits want to see them win. The honey moon of a new hire and new vision for the program is over. Winning will go a long ways in recruiting for our 2021 class.

Kids are always going to be interested in IU but winning allows you to get more guys like Garcia instead of coming in 2nd and 3rd place with them. 

If Archie starts getting it done on the court our recruiting will go to another level and ultimately we will be Top 25 every year. This year is HUGE! 

That is the chicken or the egg debate.  You have to win to get the recruits but to win you need better players.

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is the chicken or the egg debate.  You have to win to get the recruits but to win you need better players.

IU has the players and has recruited well. We just need to stay healthy and get it done. This team is good enough to win this year. And by win I don’t mean you have to go to final four but you need to make the tournament and show that the program is turning the corner. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

IU is always going to get some recruits. But, the difference between winning consistently and not winning consistently is how many of those players you can stack in classes. Yes, IU can get a TJD, a Langford, a Yogi, a Zeller, etc. But when you have a solid foundation of consistent winning (high conference finishes, tourney runs, etc.) then a place like IU can stack 2-3 top 50 guys in the same class. No, I'm not saying IU should turn into UK or Duke, and I'm not saying IU shouldn't recruit 3* guys. 

I'm not saying multiple top 10 guys, but 2-3 top 50 guys. Like Ohio State's current freshmen. They have 3 top 50 guys and they'll probably all be there at least 2-3 years. It's the ability to add Keion Brooks (just using him as an example, take the father/UK stuff out of it) and DJ Carton to TJD. It's the ability to grab Lander, Furst and Kauffman. 

Since IU has been in this weird, inconsistent pattern for over a decade+, I feel like our recruiting classes always have one big headliner and then there's a pretty big drop off. Win consistently and IU can pull better overall recruits. 

According to 24/7, it's been 8 years since IU had two recruits ranked in the top 50 in the same class. 8 years!?!? Kind of crazy, I went back and looked as far as 24/7 goes and going back to the 2003 recruiting class, IU has only had 2 top 50 recruits in the same class ONCE! I realize maybe Rivals would give a different result, but still that is crazy. 

We've also only had 3 top 100 guys in the same class 4 times over that span and two of them were pre-Tom Crean. That's 17 years of recruiting and only one class with 2 top 50 guys in it, and only 3 top 100 guys in the same class 4 times. 

Maybe IU does have a recruiting problem? 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

IMO, Archie needs to show continuous improvement to land upper echelon Indiana kids. He had success at Dayton, so coming to IU, he could sell his knowledge and vision for the first few years, but eventually the honeymoon period is getting to an end. If this team misses the tournament again this season, I don't expect we'd be in good spots to land Lander, Furst, and Kaufman type of kids ('lock-the-state-border' so to speak). We were a bubble team last season, so at the minimum, we need to make it to the tournament this season.  

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, Archie needs to show continuous improvement to land upper echelon Indiana kids. He had success at Dayton, so coming to IU, he could sell his knowledge and vision for the first few years, but eventually the honeymoon period is getting to an end. If this team misses the tournament again this season, I don't expect we'd be in good spots to land Lander, Furst, and Kaufman type of kids ('lock-the-state-border' so to speak). We were a bubble team last season, so at the minimum, we need to make it to the tournament this season.  

I agree so I guess I just miss understood what people wete thinking win they said winning.  When I see winning I think compete for the big ten this year and make a good run in the tournament.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I agree so I guess I just miss understood what people wete thinking win they said winning.  When I see winning I think compete for the big ten this year and make a good run in the tournament.

You know what crimson colored glasses can do to some fans. After the FSU game, some of us might've thought this team could be a top 3 team in BIG. It's still too early to tell. I'm still thinking top 5 in BIG is still a possibility if this team progresses nicely throughout the season. We can always hope for the best, but should also emotionally be prepared for a big letdown. 

Archived