Up up and away!

I think there is some confusion amongst us.  The “max vertical” is when the player gets a few steps to get into the jump, which allows momentum to help.  A “standing vertical” is when the player is stationary prior to jumping.  A max vertical is always higher than a standing vertical.  Justin’s was a max as you can see in the tape.  48” is still insane though, even with momentum.  This is a great accomplishment and can help with recruits as well.  I really like the strong presence the program has on social media now.

Besides OG, Morgan, Vic....Justin Smith was certainly one of Crean's most underappreciated recruits. And to have Archie have to re-recruit him and get him to stay is equally impressive. 

Funny thing about Smith. This time last year no one knew what to expect or think of him. Halfway through the season people started noticing the potential. Now...most are probably thinking hopefully he stays all 4 years.

Regarding his vertical. Unreal. All I have for that.

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Anyone question this? Max verticle in the draft this year was 42 inches by the Delaware Jordan. Mitchell last year was only 40.5 which is crazy good. Diallo has 44.5 last year too. Not saying it isn’t possible but I’m kinda skeptical.

Yes another chance for the IU staff to lie to us for recruits. 🙄

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Yes another chance for the IU staff to lie to us for recruits. 🙄

That wasn't what I was saying...but certainly the hype machine is a little over the top with most of the social media stuff.  Anytime I see heavy editing of a video it makes me pause. It's definitely possible...I think the world record is like 60 inches...but when the highest in NBA history is like a half inch more I would think it would cause people to pause. Just like this board not everything I see on the internet I believe. No matter what I already knew Justin was an athlete and has mad hops. Just one of the exciting things about this kid. I definitely think he will see plenty of court action this year and hoping we have our next NBA talent after Romeo and Juwan if he keeps improving his jumper.

Besides the display of rare physical gifts... I like that he didn't run up to the camera, hopping around pounding his chest.  His teammates had to rally him into any celebration.  The culture building around this team looks great.  Kudos to our coaches, players and administrators.  Don't see how all this won't turn into lots of Ws down the line.

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Anyone question this? Max verticle in the draft this year was 42 inches by the Delaware Jordan. Mitchell last year was only 40.5 which is crazy good. Diallo has 44.5 last year too. Not saying it isn’t possible but I’m kinda skeptical.

He’s 6’6-7 so just doing the math, all he needs to do to obtain a 4ft max vertical is get his nose to the rim, which it definitely appears he did. This definitely seems legit to me. What I want to know is if this is a drastic improvement from last season or has he always had this level of hops. He had plenty last year so if he’s growing his athleticism, look out. Especially as he gets stronger

Legit, set the IU record and would've tied the NCAA combine record:

Justin Smith’s crazy hops

It’s not a secret that Justin Smith has bounce. The soon-to-be sophomore has been captivating gyms with his athletic slams since high school, and we saw glimpses of that in his freshman season at IU.

With one collegiate season in the books, Smith is looking to take his game to the next level. He has been working on his game throughout the summer with the IU staff, specifically with strength coach Clif Marshall.

Smith’s training is already proving fruitful. This week, he broke the IU record for the maximum vertical leap, jumping an unbelievable 48 inches. You have to watch the video –- Smith nearly touches the top of the backboard!

The 48-inch max vertical mark not only broke the IU record by half a foot (Victor Oladipo, 42 inches), but it would have also tied the NBA Combine record.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/07/22/6-banner-sunday-justin-smith-leaps-into-iu-record-books/

On 7/20/2018 at 11:45 PM, Hoosier82 said:

Modern era stats. I watched Steve Hart touch the top of the backboard at 6’3. Was the most athletic dude I’ve ever seen. Im impressed by Smith’s progress and am looking forward to seeing what he brings this season but a “record” this is not. 

Literally was though. 

Archived