2021 Recruiting Hub

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure where to place this. And did not want to start a new thread

Javonte Brown-Ferguson dishes on IU, recruitment

Purdue develops lots of NBA players...especially bigs?  Who knew...?  I'd put up Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant against any of Purdue's current NBA bigs.

...psssst...Javonte...if you want to go to the NBA, IU has a lot better track record than the Toiletmakers.  😂😂😂

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Purdue develops lots of NBA players...especially bigs?  Who knew...?  I'd put up Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant against any of Purdue's current NBA bigs.

...psssst...Javonte...if you want to go to the NBA, IU has a lot better track record than the Toiletmakers.  😂😂😂

Different coach at IU currently

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why, because he was out recruiting once Shilling left.  Are you wondering if he might get the full time assistant job?

This is the right answer. He joined the recruiting fray so we could use our maximum allowable recruiters during these AAU events. I'm assuming he will return to director of basketball ops once the new assistant joins.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

How Purdue will play through their bigs is a big part of their recruiting pitch. There was some stat a few years back about post touches or something like that and Purdue was near the top. Whether it’s Hammons, Swanigan, Johnson, Landry, Haas, etc... they were featured prominently in the offense. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting. A recruit mentioned a guys name who isn't hired yet out doing his thing. Hmmm...

No it’s not. It is common knowledge that Comar was filling in as the interim assistant coach as you will until an actual assistant is hired. Apparently he’s the one on this player at the moment. If I was to guess it’s probably because he is number 3 in the pecking order behind Garcia and Loveday in the priority list for the staff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

No it’s not. It is common knowledge that Comar was filling in as the interim assistant coach as you will until an actual assistant is hired. Apparently he’s the one on this player at the moment. If I was to guess it’s probably because he is number 3 in the pecking order behind Garcia and Loveday in the priority list for the staff.

Cool. Just in case. Check the rules for NCAA recruiting between director of operations, assistant coaches,etc...and as you say interim. All not held to same standards. But what do I know. I just read the playbook. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How Purdue will play through their bigs is a big part of their recruiting pitch. There was some stat a few years back about post touches or something like that and Purdue was near the top. Whether it’s Hammons, Swanigan, Johnson, Landry, Haas, etc... they were featured prominently in the offense. 

No offense, but it doesn't appear that it's translated to any real NBA success for these Purdue bigs.  Of the three recent ones referenced, Hammons has managed to play himself out of the league and Haas and Former McDonald's All-American Caleb Swanigan are toiling in the G league.  Carl Landry was respectable but half of his college development was at Vincennes University as a juco.  JuJuan Johnson played all of 36 games in his one NBA season averaging a little over 3 ppg.

It would appear that there is scant evidence that Purdue's coaching staff can successfully prepare a big for NBA success.  We should dispel that notion right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yes Pu Plays through bigs in the post. Get bigs in the NBA? Negative. 

22 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Yes Pu Plays through bigs in the post. Get bigs in the NBA? Negative. 

I’d argue it’s Painter’s job to do the best to prepare them for the league/get them to the league and feature them as much as he can at Purdue. Once they get there, it’s on the players.

Let’s look at Thomas Bryant. He was a good college player but he was drafted mid 2nd round. I’d argue you can attribute his success to his work ethic/what he’s done since he got to the league. It was far from a sure thing when he got drafted that he’d pan out so kudos to him. I didn’t think he’d end up being as good as he’s been. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’d argue it’s Painter’s job to do the best to prepare them for the league/get them to the league and feature them as much as he can at Purdue. Once they get there, it’s on the players.

Let’s look at Thomas Bryant. He was a good college player but he was drafted mid 2nd round. I’d argue you can attribute his success to his work ethic/what he’s done since he got to the league. It was far from a sure thing when he got drafted that he’d pan out so kudos to him. I didn’t think he’d end up being as good as he’s been. 

IU Players in the NBA:

Ogugua Anunoby SF 6-8 232 2017 Raptors - - - -
Thomas Bryant C 6-11 248 2017 Wizards - - - -
Yogi Ferrell G 6-0 180 2016 Kings - - - -
Eric Gordon G 6-4 215 2008 Rockets - - - -
Victor Oladipo G 6-4 210 2013 Pacers - - - -
Noah Vonleh FC 6-9 245 2014 Timberwolves - - - -
Cody Zeller F 7-0 240 2013 Hornets - - -

-

(not updated for Romeo Langford)

Turdue players in the NBA:

E'Twaun Moore - Pelicans

Carson Edwards - Celtics

That would be eight vs. two and three bigs vs. zero.

Bryant was a very good player but not a McDonald's All-American.  You can contribute his success to hard work and ignore any development edge he might have had, but if you do that, you're essentially saying that Purdue's bigs are lazy and don't work hard enough to stick.  I just don't see much evidence that Painter can successfully develop players, especially bigs for success in the NBA.  Sad commentary either way you look at it.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

IU Players in the NBA:

-

E'Twaun Moore - Pelicans

Carson Edwards - Celtics

Bryant was a very good player but not a McDonald's All-American.  You can contribute his success to hard work and ignore any development edge he might have had, but if you do that, you're essentially saying that Purdue's bigs are lazy and don't work hard enough to stick.  I just don't see much evidence that Painter can successfully develop players, especially bigs for success in the NBA.  Sad commentary either way you look at it.

Depends on which Purdue bigs you’re talking about. 

Swanigan had/has one of the most impressive work ethics I’ve ever seen. He’s unfortunately a tweener though. Isn’t quick enough to play the 4 but is too small to play the 5.

Hammons there was always going to be a question of his motor. Painter absolutely developed him from when he got there to when he left. But I’m not surprised he didn’t last because you can only do so much when it comes to how hard someone wants to work. 

Johnson like Swanigan was a tweener. Not big enough to be a 5 but also would’ve struggled going against a lot of 4’s as well. He’s made a really good career in Europe but not surprising because of his frame that he didn’t stick in the league. 

Haas is obvious. He would’ve been a great 5 20-30 years ago but the NBA doesn’t have much room for a plodding 7’2 who can only operate in the paint and isn’t a great defender/rebounder. 

All in all, I think it’s fair to say that Painter has done a good job developing bigs from the time they get on campus until they leave. Not sure how much blame you can place on him for them not panning out in the league. I think it shows how impressive his coaching is that he’s been able to win as much as he has with really only one guy lasting in the league for more than a few seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Depends on which Purdue bigs you’re talking about. 

Swanigan had/has one of the most impressive work ethics I’ve ever seen. He’s unfortunately a tweener though. Isn’t quick enough to play the 4 but is too small to play the 5.

Hammons there was always going to be a question of his motor. Painter absolutely developed him from when he got there to when he left. But I’m not surprised he didn’t last because you can only do so much when it comes to how hard someone wants to work. 

Johnson like Swanigan was a tweener. Not big enough to be a 5 but also would’ve struggled going against a lot of 4’s as well. He’s made a really good career in Europe but not surprising because of his frame that he didn’t stick in the league. 

Haas is obvious. He would’ve been a great 5 20-30 years ago but the NBA doesn’t have much room for a plodding 7’2 who can only operate in the paint and isn’t a great defender/rebounder. 

All in all, I think it’s fair to say that Painter has done a good job developing bigs from the time they get on campus until they leave. Not sure how much blame you can place on him for them not panning out in the league. I think it shows how impressive his coaching is that he’s been able to win as much as he has with really only one guy lasting in the league for more than a few seasons. 

I think if you are an old school 4 or 5...with no game outside 15 feet Purdue is a great fit. They play throw back basketball (nothing wrong with that in college you can win a lot of games dominating the paint). They shoot 3 excellent and they will feed the bigs. Honestly it’s pretty efficient way to play. Shoot 3s for jumpers and twos mainly around the basket...few mid range 2s. That said their bigs don’t translate to the nba because they don’t expand their range out to the 3 pt line and for the most part have been awful at guarding the pick n roll (mainly because of their plodding feet or low motor). I hated that Bryant was out there on the perimeter and shooting 3s but in the end he kept expanding his game and Crean helped him. If I’m a big that wants to mostly play back to the basket...I’d like Purdue. If I want to learn to face up or learn to play out on the floor we’ve seen several other B1G programs do better with that.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

IU Players in the NBA:

-

E'Twaun Moore - Pelicans

Carson Edwards - Celtics

Bryant was a 2015 McDonald's All-American.

• Like 2