2021 Recruiting Hub

I think if we're being objective,  we can agree Painter does a good job of recruiting certain types of bigs which will work in his system. They develop into their role, and he has had success in the B1G with that type of player. 

This started with the recruit stating Purdue develops bigs for the NBA. That doesn't seem to be the case. He obviously heard that somewhere. Not like Painter is going to tell post recruits he prefers his big men plodding and in the paint. 

Whether it is through choice or circumstance,  Purdue hasn't had bigs that have been successful in the NBA.  Wouldn't think it would be too hard for Archie or any other coach competing for a big man with NBA potential to address that fact.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

This. It's crazy to say that Painter doesn't develop bigs. We've all seen Hammons, Swanigan, Haas, etc. develop into fantastic players in their time at Purdue. But as you alluded to Billingsly, no matter how much those guys developed, they're not the type of bigs the NBA has use for right now. Whereas guys like Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant are. 

Zeller, Bryant, Vonleh, to varying degrees, are guys that have the athleticism to defend the perimeter, run the court, and in Bryant's case he can even knock down open 3's. That's the NBA big in today's climate. No matter how good Purdue's guys were in college, none of them fit the NBA mold. Doesn't mean Painter didn't help them improve in college and help turn them into really good college players. 

Again...that's not the statement in question. If you go back to what the recruit said in the article in question, he indicated that Painter was good at developing players, especially bigs for the NBA. That's just patently false.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Is/was Haas not as good as Tacko Fall?  If Haas would’ve developed an outside shot at all he’d be in the league, no question about it. I understand Tacko is 7-5 but Haas was 7-2-7-3 with a much stronger frame.

Isn’t Tacko closer to 7’7? Also a big difference is Tacko averaged 2.5 blocks a game and Haas didn’t even average 1. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Tacko won’t make it down the court to block shots in the league

Yeah Tacko hasn’t proven anything and I doubt he will have any more success in the league than Haas. He is more limited offensively and I doubt can play a pick n roll any better but certainly he can protect the rim.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah Tacko hasn’t proven anything and I doubt he will have any more success in the league than Haas. He is more limited offensively and I doubt can play a pick n roll any better but certainly he can protect the rim.

Tacko will play in the league.  

My job as a college coach would be to put my program in the best position to win. That’s what I’m paid to do. That’s my job. Not advance people to the NBA. That’s on them. 60 people get drafted a year. Plus some undrafted free agents. 

Provide a work environment where one can improve their own stock. 

• Like 5

Too much is made of the ....."this guy develops NBA players" debate.  

Hanner Perea was once a top 10 recruit as a junior.

Victor barely cracked the top 150.

OG didn't crack anyone's top 150.

Is Crean an idiot because Hanner didn't develop?  Is Crean a genius because Victor and OG blossomed?  Same program.  Probably many of the same drills.  Far different results.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Is Crean an idiot because Hanner didn't develop?  Is Crean a genius because Victor and OG blossomed?  Same program.  Probably many of the same drills.  Far different results.

Oh, I think there's definitely some truth to some coaches being able to develop players better than others and I think Crean is definitely better than average in that regard.  Not sure why, but I see the evidence, which at least Crean can point to.  I'd love for someone to show me the evidence that Painter develops bigs for the NBA...I just don't see any.  I'll given him props for Carson Edwards if he sticks, but that's a solitary example of Painter taking a lesser-rated player and developing him to the next level.  We'll see if that trend continues, but it still says nothing about him developing bigs for the NBA.  I'm not against what Painter is doing at the college level, but the developing bigs line is a questionable pitch.

No one was going to be able to develop Hanner Perea for the NBA.  He was (1) Overrated, (2) too raw, (3) unwilling to work at it and (4) a behavioral idiot.  In retrospect, that was a miss on Crean's part (although a lot of people missed on Perea) and IU would have been way ahead if Baylor's tactics had worked.

8 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

How many NBA players does coach K really develop...some of those top 10 players he gets get drafted high and then what..I couldn’t even tell you where some of them are even playing..I couldn’t even tell you if a player like Oakafor is even in the league anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Derrick Wesley was visited by Archie and Bruiser today. 

You mean Blake Wesley?? If not can you tell us who he is or link him. Thanks!

Sorry brain fart...that’s Blake’s dad correct? I mean he met with Blake right? His dad doesn’t have any eligibility left correct?

Edited by dgambill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

Michigan just picked up a comment from #2 power forward..Isaiah Todd ...first 5 star for Howard 

The Kansas thing I think cost them. I knew UK was out some time back as they refused to let him take an official visit and with NC already pretty full on bigs it left Michigan the last hat on the table. Not surprised bigs will respond to Howard’s coaching but still yet to see if the guards will find Michigan as attractive as before.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The Kansas thing I think cost them. I knew UK was out some time back as they refused to let him take an official visit and with NC already pretty full on bigs it left Michigan the last hat on the table. Not surprised bigs will respond to Howard’s coaching but still yet to see if the guards will find Michigan as attractive as before.

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

Rivals is saying he has no plans to arrive on campus.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Going overseas??? I think that is why UK dropped him.

What a strange recruitment.  UK refused him an official?!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

What a strange recruitment.  UK refused him an official?!!!

Yes I heard Cal got upset that guys have just been using UK for publicity lately to get followers and attention with no intention of coming. Some of that is true but I do think a lot of that is Cals big head snd pissed that Duke and now Memphis is leap frogging him for recruits. That said Todd has been hinting for awhile now that he might go overseas. uK had an assistant go visit him so they probably got that from him. My honest opinion...when the shoe money dried up because of the scrutiny the kid decided to make some quick cash overseas and pull a Lamelo, Hampton, Presley, Bowen, Bazely route. It’s becoming more common.