2021 Recruiting Hub

11 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Gus Etchison scores 41 points in a 71-69 win over Lebanon tonight. 

I know nothing more than what I read on message boards, and this kid may not measure up to the staff's standards, but man we could really use a little "pepper pot" like this kid.  It's great to get the blue chipper, but a kid like this (if he pans out) could be a fan favorite, sparkplug.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I just read the article on his game...what kind of looks is he getting from college coaches...any contact from IU..seen some videos of him and he looks like he could be an Indiana all star 

3 offers right now from Incarnate Word, IUPUI, and Western Michigan. He could blow up before long with his athleticism. He has a very good chance of being a junior all star this year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DC2345 said:

3 offers right now from Incarnate Word, IUPUI, and Western Michigan. He could blow up before long with his athleticism. He has a very good chance of being a junior all star this year.

I know I use them as a punch line quite often, but in all seriousness, does Incarnate Word offer every off the radar player?

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I know I use them as a punch line quite often, but in all seriousness, does Incarnate Word offer every off the radar player?

I think they just try and jump in on guys early hoping that they won't lose them to a bigger school late. This does happen quite often with kids they offer this early though and not just Incarnate Word but most low and even mid major schools. 

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

How do they even find out about players in Indiana...aren’t they located in Texas

I think Priller was sent to us as a spy.  He's been feeding them information ever since. 

And for a hilarious visual, picture Tim Priller in a James Bond role.  There are no words. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

How do they even find out about players in Indiana...aren’t they located in Texas

Their head coach is Carson Cunningham who is from Indiana and played at Purdue then later coached at Andrean. Ryne Smith is one of his assistant coaches at well. Not to mention AAU is very national and opens up recruiting to anyone. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

AAU and reputation of our state and the number of great players each year we produce.  Several D1 coaches have told me that you take a chance on guys from the state of Indiana.  Most will be very well coached and pretty fundamental. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Their head coach is Carson Cunningham who is from Indiana and played at Purdue then later coached at Andrean. Ryne Smith is one of his assistant coaches at well. Not to mention AAU is very national and opens up recruiting to anyone. 

A) Aaaaand that explains it.  Also, never knew that nor would have guessed it in a million years.  Good info.  Thanks. 

B) Always liked CC as a player, despite wearing the wrong colors. 

C) This explains Priller.  Purdue sabatoge.  (Yes, I know, Priller graduated before Cunningham took over as IW's head coach.  But never let facts get in the way of a good storyline.)

In general I am very optimistic when it comes to recruiting.  For 21 I just can get past an overwhelming sinking feeling I. My stomach.  I hope I am as wrong as can be, but not getting a good feel about our top targets. I am afraid this will turn into a Plan B class which might not be a bad thing but I just dont see it shaping up to be the class we all hoped it would be

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In general I am very optimistic when it comes to recruiting.  For 21 I just can get past an overwhelming sinking feeling I. My stomach.  I hope I am as wrong as can be, but not getting a good feel about our top targets. I am afraid this will turn into a Plan B class which might not be a bad thing but I just dont see it shaping up to be the class we all hoped it would be

I have the same feeling unless we really prove on the court this year we can win. That will go a long ways with 2021in my opinion. 

53 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Going 0-3 with the top in the state would not be good.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

That is correct.

That said, contrary to popular opinion, 1-3 would not be the end of the world.  Not ideal, but not a disaster either.

At this point, I'm not going to worry about it or even give it much thought.  But, a whiff on our top 3 targets would be deeply concerning.  Our out of state recruiting hasn't been particularly impressive so we'd be hoping for the old "rabbit out of the hat" routine.  For a while I've thought about the situation under Crean around 2015 or so (I just don't remember the particular seasons), where we were having mediocre recruiting success and everyone was pointing to 2017 (?) as a loaded year in-state.  Time came and went and we came away with empty nets.  That was the beginning of the end in some ways for CTC.

It's so early at this point.  I trust we've made and maintained contact with the players we like.  The emphasis in the near term needs to be with the current team and season - as stated, it will be instrumental in future recruiting.

41 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

At this point, I'm not going to worry about it or even give it much thought.  But, a whiff on our top 3 targets would be deeply concerning.  Our out of state recruiting hasn't been particularly impressive so we'd be hoping for the old "rabbit out of the hat" routine.  For a while I've thought about the situation under Crean around 2015 or so (I just don't remember the particular seasons), where we were having mediocre recruiting success and everyone was pointing to 2017 (?) as a loaded year in-state.  Time came and went and we came away with empty nets.  That was the beginning of the end in some ways for CTC.

It's so early at this point.  I trust we've made and maintained contact with the players we like.  The emphasis in the near term needs to be with the current team and season - as stated, it will be instrumental in future recruiting.

Anything less than 2 of Lander, Kaufman, Wesley. Furst will be a complete failure IMO. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I agree and folks need to know, Archie won’t be given a leash like Crean had previously. If this season doesn’t equal a ticket to the dance, winning a game or two.... Archie will be immediately placed on the hot seat. 

4 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I agree and folks need to know, Archie won’t be given a leash like Crean had previously. If this season doesn’t equal a ticket to the dance, winning a game or two.... Archie will be immediately placed on the hot seat. 

Problem is I think part of the problem with recruiting is the perception that he is already on the hot seat.  I know people don't want to believe it but when fans constantly criticize the coach and talk about them being on a hot seat only hurts recruiting.  You don't think other coaches don't use that in negative recruiting when they see the fan turning on the coach.

• Like 1