2021 Recruiting Hub

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm assuming Archie probably knows more about it than you 🤷‍♂️

Nowhere did I state that I’m more capable of Archie job than Archie is or know more than Archie does. I just wanted some people’s opinions on why we’re not recruiting a center for the 2021 class because will be thin at that spot if TJD goes to the NBA. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

What? You answered your own question. I'm not sure why you don't think Duncomb can play much as a freshman? Already has great size and is a fringe top 100 prospect he's consistently shot up the rankings. He's not going to be a 30 mpg guy but neither is any other freshman center. In the event TJD does leave early (still not sold), Race/Duncomb is a solid platoon at the 5 spot. 

I think Duncomb can play 10-15 minutes. But in the B10 we are going to need some size and Race seems more of a 4. We could get a transfer if TJD goes pro. And if TJD decides to stay, then we don’t need a transfer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

Nowhere did I state that I’m more capable of Archie job than Archie is or know more than Archie does. I just wanted some people’s opinions on why we’re not recruiting a center for the 2021 class because will be thin at that spot if TJD goes to the NBA. 

Because we've already recruited and landed a Center for the 2021 class. Your question lacks merit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Because we've already recruited and landed a Center for the 2021 class. Your question lacks merit. 

I think we'll be fine.  Hopefully we can get someone of Brunk's quality on the grad transfer market if need be.  Not a superstar, but some quality depth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btroesch14 said:

I agree we’ll need some more size in ‘21 if TJD goes pro... Thompson and Duncomb as our only bigs will not even come close to cutting it in the Big Ten.  But there aren’t many freshmen bigs out there that are ready to come in and make a big impact right away.  I would assume Archie will target a transfer to provide some additional depth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like we offered John Camden this afternoon. Good looking prospect. 6-7 is known for shooting. 4 star. Eastern PA.  I guess my question is it seems we've offered about 4-5 extra kids in 21 lately. I like contingency plans....but does that mean we are moving on from the initial priorities?

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like we offered John Camden this afternoon. Good looking prospect. 6-7 is known for shooting. 4 star. Eastern PA.  I guess my question is it seems we've offered about 4-5 extra kids in 21 lately. I like contingency plans....but does that mean we are moving on from the initial priorities?

No. It means we better have a backup plan(s) if the priorities choose another school. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Who are we considered to still be in on besides Aminu and this kid for ‘21? 

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Who are we considered to still be in on besides Aminu and this kid for ‘21? 

Aminu, Kaufman, Wesley, Miller....and a few others on the 21 recruiting board. Just seems to me if we were rock solid on some we wouldn't be making the offers to others. Probably a nothing point on my end but as we all know in recruiting after following for decades.....offers usually mean 1 of 3 things. 1) Our first targets aren't coming or 2) Our first targets need a little nudge or 3) we like these other players too and we aren't waiting around for a 50% chance in November when we can get a really good player in June.

Tough times for these kids and players. Knowing when to commit has to be hard.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Aminu, Kaufman, Wesley, Miller....and a few others on the 21 recruiting board. Just seems to me if we were rock solid on some we wouldn't be making the offers to others. Probably a nothing point on my end but as we all know in recruiting after following for decades.....offers usually mean 1 of 3 things. 1) Our first targets aren't coming or 2) Our first targets need a little nudge or 3) we like these other players too and we aren't waiting around for a 50% chance in November when we can get a really good player in June.

I kind of see it like you do.  One or two backups would not necessarily worry me, but we've handed out more than that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I kind of see it like you do.  One or two backups would not necessarily worry me, but we've handed out more than that.

That's all I'm saying as well and I applaud that our backup plans are top 100 guys. Camden said this afternoon the IU offer was a really big deal to him. Guess it's just something to keep an eye on. 

It seems that we've been throwing out offers, but if you're like me, you get caught up in hearing lots of names in connection with IU but there aren't really that many formal offers on the table.  If my math is correct, with the Camden offer, Archie has 9 outstanding offers but IMO, Max Christie, Franck Kepnang and Carter Whitt have all fallen off the IU radar leaving only 6 formal offers (make it 7 if everybody's convinced Mason Miller can come to IU if he wants to).  3 of the 6 are to players categorized as SF; 2 as SG and 1 PF (or 2 if you want to include Mason Miller).

Since the world came to a screeching halt in mid-March with COVID-19, Archie has extended 3 formal offers to '22 kids along with other names in that '22 class mentioned as being on the IU radar.

I think it's the number of names that we hear and see and leads to the impression we're throwing out lots of offers. 

• Thanks 1

Do we really need a guard/wing player in the 2021 class that much. The way I look at it, we will have:

PG - Lander, Phinisee,

SG - Franklin, Leal, Galloway

SF - Hunter, Geronimo

I’d take a Wesley, Mohammed, Longino but if none come then maybe we should just hold that position for a guy like Kamari Lands (haven’t offered yet) in 2022. He is highly rated and plays at LaLu. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still like how Archie is recruiting because you don't want to put everything into a couple of players and they turn you down.  That was what hurt Mike Davis so much because he never had a legit backup plan.

It honestly feels kind of like a happy medium at the moment. I like the approach. We went from all or nothing with MD. Then with Crean it seemed like half the top 100 had offers every year. As a recruit, I could see where it would have been difficult to know if I was a priority or not. Here, it's obvious who the priorities are but if you're going to hem and haw or pull the rug out at the last second, we'll have contingency plans in place.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

But, what if the backup plans accept before the priorities, leaving no schollies available.

You have solid players commit versus putting all your eggs in one basket and coming out with players like Grant Gelon. 

And sometimes players get “offers” that aren’t necessarily committable, if that makes sense. Not saying this is a specific example of that, but it’s happened before. 

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

How the hell did I forget Kauffman!?

Edit: I had my tears mixed up. Was thinking of 2020 as 2021 and so on. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

I know this isn’t the 2020 hub, but after the Smith transfer I feel like we really need a shooter and another PF type in 2020. I wasn’t a JS fan, but as a senior filling the role he developed this past year I was okay with him and felt he fit in. Any grad transfers out there we’re still in on that could fill the shooter role or PF spot? @CoachSS who are we still recruiting for the upcoming year? Anybody? Feel like we’re short-handed right now. 

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I know this isn’t the 2020 hub, but after the Smith transfer I feel like we really need a shooter and another PF type in 2020. I wasn’t a JS fan, but as a senior filling the role he developed this past year I was okay with him and felt he fit in. Any grad transfers out there we’re still in on that could fill the shooter role or PF spot? @CoachSS who are we still recruiting for the upcoming year? Anybody? Feel like we’re short-handed right now. 

I’m not CoachSS, but I don’t think JS leaving changes much for next season. The staff “could” kick the tires on a player if it’s exactly  what they’re looking for, but they’ll already be plenty deep (11 scholarship players). That’s more than enough, IMO. My hope is we stay around 9 deep in the rotation.