2021 Recruiting Hub

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

@kyhoosier29 

In a way, Smith's transfer is really good for IU's minutes distribution. Even still, IU has too many players to accommodate. 11 guys is 1-2 too many when you are thinking about rotation. 

I still expect Indiana to redshirt one of the freshman. I have a pretty good idea who I think that will be. But, it definitely isn't important on an early May Saturday. There's a little under 6 months until they need to make that decision. 

My personal belief is that Indiana is not short-handed. I can't think of a position or spot where they could use another guy. I suppose in the 3/4 hybrid spots but you'll see more three guards, you'll see Race get an uptick in minutes to accommodate Trayce and there's a real, real opening for Hunter and Geronimo to grab Justin's vacated minutes (which was a lot, as he led the team in minutes played and minutes per game average). 

So, I think Archie is more than happy with the 11 he has. After next season they'll lose Durham, Brunk and Trayce. So he'll be down to 8 but you know he's got Duncomb and hopefully 2-3 more. That puts them around the 11-12 again in terms of number. 

We just gotta rely on Race staying healthy for the whole season 

I like the roster construction. A lot of tweener players who can fill multiple roles. I’m glad we finally have 2 viable point guard options! 

losing Smith hurts frontcourt defense as well as perimeter defense. Like others have mentioned, Hunter and Franklin can step up. I also think Geronimo will flourish more than people think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

@kyhoosier29 

In a way, Smith's transfer is really good for IU's minutes distribution. Even still, IU has too many players to accommodate. 11 guys is 1-2 too many when you are thinking about rotation. 

I still expect Indiana to redshirt one of the freshman. I have a pretty good idea who I think that will be. But, it definitely isn't important on an early May Saturday. There's a little under 6 months until they need to make that decision. 

My personal belief is that Indiana is not short-handed. I can't think of a position or spot where they could use another guy. I suppose in the 3/4 hybrid spots but you'll see more three guards, you'll see Race get an uptick in minutes to accommodate Trayce and there's a real, real opening for Hunter and Geronimo to grab Justin's vacated minutes (which was a lot, as he led the team in minutes played and minutes per game average). 

So, I think Archie is more than happy with the 11 he has. After next season they'll lose Durham, Brunk and Trayce. So he'll be down to 8 but you know he's got Duncomb and hopefully 2-3 more. That puts them around the 11-12 again in terms of number. 

I’ll take your word for it, and agree we have enough guys for meaningful minutes, but I’m not confident we found the shooter we needed and I’m not confident we have that 3/4 guy who can both bang and make shots. I feel like we have plenty of 3s and 5s, but nobody who truly fills the 4 role. I guess we’ll see. I’d be much more comfortable if I felt we improved shooting-wise for NEXT YEAR through recruiting, as I think we can manage with RT, JB, and TJD down low. I just feel like we’ll be slightly better as a whole bc CAM has constructed a roster full of guys that fit his style, but I’m struggling in having the confidence that we’ll be a lot better. A second true PG in Lander keeps the ball out of AD’s hands and others, so that’s huge, but other than that I don’t feel like we fixed our major need. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

53 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’ll take your word for it, and agree we have enough guys for meaningful minutes, but I’m not confident we found the shooter we needed and I’m not confident we have that 3/4 guy who can both bang and make shots. I feel like we have plenty of 3s and 5s, but nobody who truly fills the 4 role. I guess we’ll see. I’d be much more comfortable if I felt we improved shooting-wise for NEXT YEAR through recruiting, as I think we can manage with RT, JB, and TJD down low. I just feel like we’ll be slightly better as a whole bc CAM has constructed a roster full of guys that fit his style, but I’m struggling in having the confidence that we’ll be a lot better. A second true PG in Lander keeps the ball out of AD’s hands and others, so that’s huge, but other than that I don’t feel like we fixed our major need. 

I realize he's unproven, but I think Hunter can be a 3/4 hybrid. Small sample size, but he has a really nice turnaround J from the low post and is effective in the paint as well as from 3. He needs to work on his handles to get to the rim from the perimeter, but that was an issue with Smith too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I realize he's unproven, but I think Hunter can be a 3/4 hybrid. Small sample size, but he has a really nice turnaround J from the low post and is effective in the paint as well as from 3. He needs to work on his handles to get to the rim from the perimeter, but that was an issue with Smith too.

I can see that, especially if we play small. But that means we’ll need him to be able to bang / rebound. Are we confident that he’s tough enough to handle that aspect?

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I can see that, especially if we play small. But that means we’ll need him to be able to bang / rebound. Are we confident that he’s tough enough to handle that aspect?

There's only one way to find out. He probably doesn't have the strength of a Justin Smith yet, but I'm sure he'll come back stronger next season. 

I’d redshirt Galloway or Leal and then flip them next year.  So, their third year here, they would both be redshirt sophomores.  I am not saying either one is as good as Brian Evans but look at how outstanding he was as a fifth year senior versus what he would have given in 1992 as a true freshman.  With as hard charging as these two are, having them here for five years would be helpful in permanently transforming the culture here.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Archie must feel very confident at landing at least two guys, maybe three for 2021 in addition to our commit already.  If they land at least two more and TJD goes pro, that leaves two openings.   

For me I'd like to see us nab Blake Wesley and Trey Kaufman for sure.  Anyone after that is a bonus IMO.  Both of these kids help fill depth and can play solid minutes right away if needed. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Archie must feel very confident at landing at least two guys, maybe three for 2021 in addition to our commit already.  If they land at least two more and TJD goes pro, that leaves two openings.   

For me I'd like to see us nab Blake Wesley and Trey Kaufman for sure.  Anyone after that is a bonus IMO.  Both of these kids help fill depth and can play solid minutes right away if needed. 

I know Mohammed has the higher rating, but I would agree that if you want the highest ceiling and the most versatility, Wesley is the best guard on the 2021 board.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, BGleas said:

Absolutely agree here. Also thought that Race looked comfortable taking the outside shot last season, albeit a poor percentage.... but that can improve with reps. I really think Hunter can be a versatile threat. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I know Mohammed has the higher rating, but I would agree that if you want the highest ceiling and the most versatility, Wesley is the best guard on the 2021 board.

I think with our team being very balanced, I would shoot for the highest ceiling potential.  With that being said, if Aminu came I would be happy, however, we aren't getting tons of top 25 talent year in and year out.  That is not Archie's plan. 

2 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Absolutely agree here. Also thought that Race looked comfortable taking the outside shot last season, albeit a poor percentage.... but that can improve with reps. I really think Hunter can be a versatile threat. 

Race gaining confidence and consistency in the pick and pop 3 from the top of the offense would be a game changer for IU. Even at just 35% and being a threat so his defender can't just sit in the middle of the paint would be a game changer for the offense. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Race gaining confidence and consistency in the pick and pop 3 from the top of the offense would be a game changer for IU. Even at just 35% and being a threat so his defender can't just sit in the middle of the paint would be a game changer for the offense. 

I saw a video in the last week or so of TJD shooting 3's in what looked to be USA practice or open gym of some sort (they were using the international basketball).  He looked very comfortable shooting.  Hopefully he can be in line with that same logic.  We dont need them to be JBJ, but they have to at least make the defense think about guarding them.

Man, just reading about the potential of the 2021 class, my enthusiasm for IU basketball is really ramping up.  Looking forward to seeing Turdue get their *sses kicked on a regular basis.

Enjoy talking about your recent run of luck against IU for a few more months, Toiletmaker fans...and then get ready to assume your rightful position in Indiana basketball for awhile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Interesting, how often do they update these things? I'm just wondering if there has been a single game of basketball played between these and the previous iteration.

Played a pickup game with my kids just the other day.  Don't think I cracked the rankings though.  

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just pass along what I hear.  No idea how accurate unless it's right then I want credit if not then it's a bad source 😀

A 2021 committment is coming soon according to 2 people that contact me the last few days. Not getting a name . I have been wrong before so if nothing happens soon no big deal but I just want to share and to see if anyone else getting any info as well

I confess I am reclassifying to the class of 2021 from the 1989 class.  Seriously hope it is true and it Kaufman or Miller.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just pass along what I hear.  No idea how accurate unless it's right then I want credit if not then it's a bad source 😀

A 2021 committment is coming soon according to 2 people that contact me the last few days. Not getting a name . I have been wrong before so if nothing happens soon no big deal but I just want to share and to see if anyone else getting any info as well

Always appreciate the rumors, it’s a major part of what makes HSN fun! 

I’ve never been in a situation like this but do you ever try and pry more info out of your sources or do you just politely absorb whatever they tell you haha? 

17 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

You better be right... or else

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 2